JDOM for life

bummed but still optimistic

I'm bummed. I just learned from my LBS that it cannot order the '08 rp23 with the lowest compression for my epiphany. it has to come with the bike. if anyone of you is selling or who knows someone who's selling an '08 rp23, let me know. thanks fellas

VooDoo user.
    Why don't you just "PUSH" whatever comes on the bike.

Time is not a road.
    Or order one from Push directly. I see the OP is in the Philippines, so it may be a pain to play the waiting game getting the mods done on an existing shock he owns. So, if you order the shock from Push with the mods you need, you'd only have one shipping cost. You could then sell the shock that comes on the bike.

VooDoo user.
    What Chad said.

JDOM for life
    timberr: The reason why i want the rp23 is its lockout capability which my floatR doesn't have so having my FloatR Pushed doesn't really answer my wants.

chad: Ordering an RP23 from Push is a little pricey. I don't mind spending that much for the shock if there's really a big difference. Does it?

Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    Or order one from Push directly. I see the OP is in the Philippines, so it may be a pain to play the waiting game getting the mods done on an existing shock he owns. So, if you order the shock from Push with the mods you need, you'd only have one shipping cost. You could then sell the shock that comes on the bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Du,

Have the stock shock PUSHED na lang although you have to course it through someone in the States, apparently they dont do Overseas orders. I got a spare shock that i can lend you if you send your stock shock out . Although , honestly i think the float you got is fine. I slapped on a RP23 on my Moment its compression was mid , it runs OK actually a bit stiffer ( and faster ) than the DHX that used to be on the bike , not as smooth but when I flick the lever off it still gives a good ride going thru the rough.

My birthday ride again , We( doc Mon , Tyrone , Raul , Manu , Tony B , Brian ) are riding down the ridge this Saturday and then lunch in my in law's Tagaytay house( great perk ) if you wanna go we meet up in Tags and kick off before 8 , take the jeep back up , lunch and beers - Leo 09178925304

Leo

JDOM for life
    Hey Leo! I just emailed Push about having a stock RP23 tuned to the lowest compression. I'll just wait for their answer. Thanks for the offer though, I really appreciate it. I really want to have the lockout though so that the back will be stiff when I'm just hammering away.

I heard about your birthday ride (I was in Sabak this afternoon) I'll try to make it. I heard we're going to do Ridge again so that would be fun. Advance Happy Birthday bud.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bakalboy
    Hey Leo! I just emailed Push about having a stock RP23 tuned to the lowest compression. I'll just wait for their answer. Thanks for the offer though, I really appreciate it. I really want to have the lockout though so that the back will be stiff when I'm just hammering away.

I heard about your birthday ride (I was in Sabak this afternoon) I'll try to make it. I heard we're going to do Ridge again so that would be fun. Advance Happy Birthday bud.
    If you really want something like a lockout, the stock RP23 would be OK , I think on Setting 1 it would be plush and non bobbing trail use( coffee, singletrack) , setting 2 would be XC ( pre - buko , pre - palace) , setting 3 most probably for really steep cement road climbs ( Well thats how it works out on my Moment)

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    What I have not been able to understand is why my RP23, which came installed when I bought the frame, has a compression tune of the highest rating (largest bar). From what I have read on the forum the RP23 that comes installed with the Epi frame should have the lowest compression tune rating. I bought the frame at Beyond and I don't think they would have messed with the shock - the frame would come pre-installed with the shock. I suppose its possible they pulled the original and sold it to someone who really wanted the lowest compression tune and then re-installed the standard over-the-counter one from Fox. But, I really doubt they would bother, they're way too busy to do stuff like that I think. Maybe its possible they only had the R3 installed frames in stock and made a swap to satisfy my order from stock.
    In fact, I don't even understand exactly what affect this compression tune (or rebound tune) has. Is it really important?
    I understand the ProPedal 1,2,3 settings, or at least I understand what Fox explains them to be. I've been unable to notice any effect from changing those settings.
    I should just get it pushed. But then I have the same problem as bakalboy of pulling the shock, sending it to Push, getting it back and re-installing it. That would leave my Epi side-lined for too long. Can't see myself buying a new RP23 just to get a different tune.

JDOM for life
    From what I've seen here in the forums, not having the compression in the lowet level will make the bike ride stiffer. I bought my ellsoworth because of its plush suspension so having it ride stiffer defeats my purpose.

how does your bike ride old horse?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    From what I've seen here in the forums, not having the compression in the lowet level will make the bike ride stiffer. I bought my ellsoworth because of its plush suspension so having it ride stiffer defeats my purpose.

how does your bike ride old horse?
    Bakalboy: My Epi rides GREAT! But, its so much better than any bike I owned before that I may not be a very good judge I'm still getting used to thrill of doing things the Truth could never handle
    Its interesting you mention plush. I actually had my RP23 set to about 120 psi which gave me a lot of sag but caused the rear end of the bike to stick to rough downhill terrain very well. But, it was bottoming out a bit and causing my front DR to get knocked around a bit (at least I think that was happening, the cage would hit the chainstay). So, I pumped up to 140 psi and its fine. But, I do feel that is a more stiff ride. Its not bad but I notice the bumps a little more and the rear end can lift up a bit on rocky steep downhill. I just have to pay more attention to sitting back to smooth it out. I guess I'll ride it like it is cuz that's what I have and when its necessary or convenient I'll get it Pushed. Then I can compare and learn.
    Always my frustration in these types of things is the lack of documentation from the vendors. It would be nice if Fox explained it, but since its tuned for Ellsworth I wish they had some kind of FAQ on their website about the little things like this.

Veni Vidi Vici
    Ey Jaydg, Happy birthday! too bad I wasnt able to ride the ridge, have to accompany ginny in our regular trails... but the food was awesome will be riding the race track tom morning will be there at around 6:30 see you there

Quote Originally Posted by Jaydg
    Du,

Have the stock shock PUSHED na lang although you have to course it through someone in the States, apparently they dont do Overseas orders. I got a spare shock that i can lend you if you send your stock shock out . Although , honestly i think the float you got is fine. I slapped on a RP23 on my Moment its compression was mid , it runs OK actually a bit stiffer ( and faster ) than the DHX that used to be on the bike , not as smooth but when I flick the lever off it still gives a good ride going thru the rough.

My birthday ride again , We( doc Mon , Tyrone , Raul , Manu , Tony B , Brian ) are riding down the ridge this Saturday and then lunch in my in law's Tagaytay house( great perk ) if you wanna go we meet up in Tags and kick off before 8 , take the jeep back up , lunch and beers - Leo 09178925304

Leo

MTB SOCAL
    My 07 Epi came with a Float R with the lowest level of factory tune. When I upgraded to a aftermarket RP23, I got one with the middle setting, which made the bike ride much stiffer. I ended up sending the RP23 back to Fox and they re-tuned it to the lowest setting. They were very helpful. I'm not sure why the LBS told you they can't order an RP23 with the lowest level of factory tune. You may want to call Fox directly.

But, honestly, if you already have the Float R - you don't need the RP23. I think the bike rode amazingly well with the Float and didn't see any improvement with the RP23. I never use the pro-pedal adjustment since the ICT is already so efficient.
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

JDOM for life
    Yangpei: I called up Fox already and they said that they do not make the RP23 at the lowest setting. They said that the lowest setting they make on the RP23 is in the middle setting. I found it actually weird but I might just give them a call again. As for the Float R, I just want to have the option of having the rear end be stiff when hammering. I like getting off the saddle and peddling away so a rear end would help me a lot in that department.

Veni Vidi Vici
    Yangpei: I called up Fox already and they said that they do not make the RP23 at the lowest setting. They said that the lowest setting they make on the RP23 is in the middle setting. I found it actually weird but I might just give them a call again. As for the Float R, I just want to have the option of having the rear end be stiff when hammering. I like getting off the saddle and peddling away so a rear end would help me a lot in that department.
    When are you riding BB? i missed your epi already

JDOM for life
    I'll try to bike this weekend. Trafffic is just horrible going to sta. rosa from pasig city. I miss the trails already in sta. rosa...

Veni Vidi Vici
    BB, traffic is not horrendous anymore its been a lot better ... see you on saturday... maybe we can switch bikes... I would like to feel the handling of your precious epi

I'll try to bike this weekend. Trafffic is just horrible going to sta. rosa from pasig city. I miss the trails already in sta. rosa...

JDOM for life
    but of course! my bike is your bike brotha!