Thread: Broken Dare

mtbr member

Broken Dare

I bought my Dare in 2001. A month ago I sent it in because I found a crack in the plate connecting the top tube to the down tube (from what I hear very common). They put a plate on it to reinforce it and sent it back. After talking to Ellsworth and mentioning that I wasn't excited about the way it was fixed they said that this case has "gone to the top" and that they consider the frame to be fixed. They said the crack is purely cosmetic. I feel that by designing a plate to reinforce this area they basically admitted to a known manufacturers defect. They said only a crack on a weld is a manufacturer's defect. I should mention I weigh about 140, ride fairly smooth, and am not known for going big.

Should I shut up and be happy that I got three seasons out of this bike?

Would you feel safe ridding this bike?

Would you buy this bike in this condition (I'm trying to figure out what to do with it, and if I could in good conscience sell it).
    Attached Images Attached Images

TT.
    wheeler
    Feb 2004
    mine is a small and never came with those plates either. When my buddy sold his medium, he gave me the plates and now I'll be running with plates for this season.

I think it's totally safe to ride it though. Afterall they designed the frame, they know where the weakest points are, if they designed plates to reinforce one of them, then that should be enough to keep that frame running for another 3+ years. Ride it, ride it hard
    I Ride, I Know

Are you talking to me?

Are they going to cover your medical?

Quote Originally Posted by FunkMaster
    I bought my Dare in 2001. A month ago I sent it in because I found a crack in the plate connecting the top tube to the down tube (from what I hear very common). They put a plate on it to reinforce it and sent it back. After talking to Ellsworth and mentioning that I wasn't excited about the way it was fixed they said that this case has "gone to the top" and that they consider the frame to be fixed. They said the crack is purely cosmetic. I feel that by designing a plate to reinforce this area they basically admitted to a known manufacturers defect. They said only a crack on a weld is a manufacturer's defect. I should mention I weigh about 140, ride fairly smooth, and am not known for going big.

Should I shut up and be happy that I got three seasons out of this bike?

Would you feel safe ridding this bike?

Would you buy this bike in this condition (I'm trying to figure out what to do with it, and if I could in good conscience sell it).

This seems to be typical of ellsworth's "customer service" practices at times. (not always, for those who have had no issues, or good CS)

Personally, my peace of mind is everything. If I am unsure of my equipment, it gets trashed.

Unfortunately, your "Lifetime" warranty is not even close to that. You can get a new frame, at their "upgrade charge" if you want to, I am sure.

I am not trying to be a wise ass, just being honest. Good luck.
    gfy

mtbr member
    Great. I am just about to get my broken Id back together, when I discover a cracks in the gussets connecting the top tube and the down tube of my Dare.
    The above post mentions that this is common.

So Ells solution is to weld or bolt a reenforcing plat in? Anyone else with broken Dares want to chime in?

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by vibiker
    Great. I am just about to get my broken Id back together, when I discover a cracks in the gussets connecting the top tube and the down tube of my Dare.
    The above post mentions that this is common.

So Ells solution is to weld or bolt a reenforcing plat in? Anyone else with broken Dares want to chime in?
    I had an '01 dare that cracked in those places. I returned it to ellsworth in early '02 and they replaced the front triangle, with the added bolt on pieces. Funkmaster had his problem in early '04, and all they did for him was bolt the support pieces in place; they did not replace his front triangle, and they were pretty sh!tty to him about the whole thing. Perhaps they don't deal with the "older" dares anymore due to whatever? reason, but,good luck. Don't hesitate to post the results of your experience here; ellsworths customer service is allways a topic of interest.

TT.
    wheeler
    Feb 2004
    hope this helps to some who have contacted me about the plates.. I can machine a few sets if there's interest and cash up front
    I Ride, I Know

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Send them a letter asking them to sign a lettery of warranty and safety; i.e. that they warant the fix is proper and correct and that should the fix become compormised in any way during intended use of the frame, that they will take full responsibility for any injuries you might suffer as a result of a failure....Hmmmm wonder what they would say to that. I don't know how comfortable I would be on that frame and I dont think I would buy one in that condition and I doubt I'd sell it in that condition. Ride it and watch it closely to see if the crack develops any more...if it does, document it and send the frame back and say their fix did not work. If it doesn't develop any more then you are "probably" good to go...of course now it may be hard to enjoy yourself or feel confident on the bike and you will never truly trust the fix which will take away from your enjoyment further. You should not have to feel that way and thats the big problem I have with the lack of CS over there.

FB
    P.S. does the warranty on 01 frames say replacement or fix? If it doesn't say anything about fixing a frame, then you may have a good issue to take them to court on, if you chose to go that route.