mtbr member

Which Brakes : Avid Juicy CARBON or Magura MARTA SL

I need your inputs on this. A LBS is giving me a good deal on both Avid & Magura brake set.
    Now, what is the better choice? I will be running the brakes with 7 inch rotor for the front & 6 inch in the rear.

Thanks for the help!

Cheers . . .

VooDoo user.
    Been riding with the Juicy Carbons for 3 years. Love em. 8" fr 6" rr. Plenty of stopping power and adjustability for my needs.

Can't comment on the Marguras.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TIMBERRR
    Been riding with the Juicy Carbons for 3 years. Love em. 8" fr 6" rr. Plenty of stopping power and adjustability for my needs.

Can't comment on the Marguras.
    Hi Timberrr! Have you encounter the "Corrosion Issue" on the lever on the sides of the reservoir cover? I am also considering that cause i see a number of those cases here.

Thanks again!

VooDoo user.
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT-Spot
    Hi Timberrr! Have you encounter the "Corrosion Issue" on the lever on the sides of the reservoir cover? I am also considering that cause i see a number of those cases here.

Thanks again!
    No problems here. I'd buy another set.

Of course the Hopes are so darned pretty they may be my next set when the Juicies die.

mtbr member

More Comparison Please . . .

Quote Originally Posted by TIMBERRR
    No problems here. I'd buy another set.

Of course the Hopes are so darned pretty they may be my next set when the Juicies die.

I still more inputs to help me decide on this. This is quite a big amount so i need all your advise fellow riders.

Many Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I had Marta SL's, lovely and light, powerful (when working) and very pimp! They do get air in the system easily though, especially when you turn the bike upside down. I got fed up with inconsistent performance and ditched them for the new Hope's which have improved this year. Two weeks in the Alps proved how awesome they are now.
    "[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]but I do not see anything in the world of suspension methods that is superior to the 4 Bar.

Dave Turner[/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Martas are a royal pain in the !@#$ to bleed, but when done properly air does not get into the system. They are very light and powerful, and use non-toxic fluid, which is nice because I get it all over the place when bleeding out the bubbles...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

comparison

If you are comparing the Avid carbons with the Marta sl Carbons I would say that the Martas are in the Avid Ultimate catagory. I'm in the same boat you are, almost bought the Avid carbons but my bike builder said they are very noisey and that he prefered the Marta's.

Let us know how you make out

David

mtbr member
    Everyone I know with Juicy's seem to have that "turkey gooble" noise, no idea why.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    My vote is for the Martas. I've been riding Marts SL's for 5 years and they've been virtually trouble free. They're powerful,quiet and have great modulation. Two of my riding budies have Avids and it seems they're always dragging and in addition, they're noisy. As for getting air in the lines. It's happend once in the 5 years I've ridden them and that was rear brake only.

Go for the Martas. You won't be disappointed.

Only dead people are old
    Been using Marta brakes over the last 4 years and have had zero problems with 3 sets of them. I also have a set of Juicy brakes and can say they don't even come close to the Martas. The Juicy brakes have some awesome stopping power, but the pistons inconsistently retract or hang-up slightly which leads to a very annoying brake drag noise. I've worked on the Juicy brakes countless times to get the pistons to work better and I have done everything Avid says I should do to fix the problem but it just keeps coming back. I have several friends the have the same frustrations - some have gone to other brakes while others just put up with it. Also when th Juicy brakes get wet they scream like mad, whereas my Marta make zero noise when wet . I hate any brake noise and due to the noise and the inconsistent piston retraction of the Juicy brakes I find them to be a sub-standard brake system. The Martas have always preformed flawlessly for me. One final note: I have found that either system will need to be bled if you turn your bike up-side-down for too long or store it that way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Have marta sl"s on my old parts shelf. twice I rode buncker creek in Utah with no rear brakes. BUMMER lost brake presure Also if you need to adjust caliper for different frame they use pain in the neck shims. I now have avid ultimates 8 months problem free.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I've demo'd a set of Martas for a few hours and I have the Juicys. I still longingly think of the Martas.

How about Formulas? I just bought a set of K24s and I really like the lever and simplicity of it. I have to say though, they have been noisy so far and I bent the rear rotor already. But they're very nice when they work! I haven't had them long enough so I'm hoping they break in because I really like them and hope the problems are temporary. Anyone else have any experience with them?

sock puppet

marta sl

cant comment on avids - i hear good things about them...

however, i would not change... i have marta sl on 3 of my bikes... if bled properly - they will serve you long time without any trouble... took them to transrockies this summer - i am 215# in riding gear and they served me perfectly... never faded, never malfunctioned, great braking power - i do have 180mm (7") front rotor and 160mm (~6" rear)... i comleted the whole race on one set of pads too...

during the race i kept the bike upside down (it was sitting on saddle and handlebar next to my tent) every night... no air - no decrease in performance...

i bleed them on average once per year and use magura bleeding kit... simple process but one has to be detail oriented... mineral oil is great and easy to use...

hope this helps...

I need your inputs on this. A LBS is giving me a good deal on both Avid & Magura brake set.
    Now, what is the better choice? I will be running the brakes with 7 inch rotor for the front & 6 inch in the rear.

Thanks for the help!

Cheers . . .

mtbr member
    Thank you guys for all your inputs! Will update you on my build.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Fyi

This is just food for thought. While visiting the Specalized web sight, they use Juicy Ulitmates on ther expert models (4500-5500 bikes) and Marta SL's on their 7500 pro bikes.

I think I'm going with the Marta SL carbons (red) on my new build.

David

mtbr member

The Red Marta SL

Quote Originally Posted by David Less
    This is just food for thought. While visiting the Specalized web sight, they use Juicy Ulitmates on ther expert models (4500-5500 bikes) and Marta SL's on their 7500 pro bikes.

I think I'm going with the Marta SL carbons (red) on my new build.

David
    Hi David! Actually, the Red Marta SL is also my choice and the Avid Juicy Carbon.
    Now, i'm really having a hard time.

Thanks!

sock puppet

either way you go

you will be fine... these are the two top disc brake systems on the market right now - in my opinion...

that is the good part...

the not that good part is if you decide to go either way - and you are not completely satisfied - you will be kicking yourself in the head thinking that the other option would have been better...

so in the end - make the decision and stick with it... dont know which oil is required for Avids, but if it is not mineral - that would be the deal breaker for me... having to care for the paint and surroundings when you are not using mineral oil is simply too much pain in the arse... not to mention hygroscopic properties of non mineral oils...

red would be just too hot for any bike...

Hi David! Actually, the Red Marta SL is also my choice and the Avid Juicy Carbon.
    Now, i'm really having a hard time.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    New XT's are mineral oil. Unless you don't like Shimano I'd give them a look.

Ologist
    Don't think it really matters either way. Both great brakes. The squeal and gobble folks mention I believe is from the older rotor styles. I just picked up a pair of Juicy Carbons on eBay for $300 a set (185mm/160mm). They have the G2 Cleansweep and I get no chatter.

c.mackey
    Quote Originally Posted by Zakster
    I had Marta SL's, lovely and light, powerful (when working) and very pimp! They do get air in the system easily though, especially when you turn the bike upside down. I got fed up with inconsistent performance and ditched them for the new Hope's which have improved this year. Two weeks in the Alps proved how awesome they are now.
    Hi, Can you please tell me which Hope brakes you are using, as I have a 5 year old set of Mini's on my Epiphany and am looking to upgrade to something a little better.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have the new Mono M4 up front and a Mini out the back. I also have a set on my hardtail. Really impressed with both, they cruised through the winter mud and performed the best out of the group of riders I rode with in the Alps. Some of the guy's had trouble with Avid and Magura's, only my Hope's and another guy running Hayes were trouble free. They have new ceramic pistons which deal with the heat pretty well.
    "[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]but I do not see anything in the world of suspension methods that is superior to the 4 Bar.

Dave Turner[/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Well, since the last few posts have been throwing out other options, here's my 0.02$

Have you considered the Avid BB7?

I know they are not very sexy and they lack the bling factor...
    but damn they just work. Easy to install, easy to maintain (rebuildable), easy to adjust, with a speed-dial lever they are super easy to adjust lever throw, power vs. modulation, engagement point etc.
    OH and they are super-cheap to boot.

I 'upgraded' my Epi with BB7's this summer (from Hayes) and i think it will be a long time before another hydraulic brake finds its way onto one of my bikes.

cheers, Thumb

Momma I'm goin fast!!!
    the marta's are the sickest brakes for my money. Stop on a dime, real light, super power. do it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Oro Puro's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!