Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Bought a used Ellsworth Joker frame. Got some questions.

6K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  J-Ha 
#1 ·
I just got a (what I think to be) a pretty good deal on an Ellsworth Joker frameset off of craigslist. I built It up using parts I had laying around in my backyard, but the build raised some questions.

First off, this thing is SLACK. Like to the point that it's hard to hold the bike straight. just steers itself. Part of the problem is that the fork I have on it is a 2006 Marz 66r, which has a 572mm A/C. Shorter fork is first on the list. But also, it seems like it can fit a longer shock, I'm thinking the previous owner may have put the wrong size shock in (wouldn't be the only thing that was not in order with this frame) The shock it has is 7.5inches eye to eye. Looks like it can easily fit a size up, maybe a 7.875? Anybody know what size shock they came with?

Also, the rear spacing seems, off. It is spaced definitely a bit wider than 135mm, not wide enough for 150mm though. And I'm pretty sure that it is older than the 142mm standard. Ive installed a 135mm wheel and just kinda pinched it inward... seems to work, but it worries me. Did any joker's have different spacing?

Also, it seems like it has two shock mounts, one for a much shorter shock. Anyone know what size this is suppose to have if I were to use it? And how much travel should I expect on this frame in either shock mount?

And what year/model is the frame? All I know is that it's a Joker.

Here's a pic.

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice find...where is your backyard by the way in case I need parts? My backyard doesn't have those kind of parts lying around...

I had a 2002 joker with a Marz Z150FR at around 36lbs. And yes, it steered itself! The only thing getting me up the hills was the ECC travel reducer on the Z150. If I recall correctly, I had a 600 lb Romic 7.5x2.0 shock for 6" travel, I never experimented with the 4" option, so I can't help you on the shock size for that.

The stays were a bit wider than 135 and I recall having to tighten the skewer a lot to get it to "close" the stays into position. I wouldn't worry about it.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

#3 ·
Ha, my backyard is somewhat of a Bike Co-op. Many people bring their bikes through and build em up and such (I have all the tools) a lot of parts get left behind. Most of the parts from this build were from a previous build of mine that I had recently taken apart.

anyone have a reccomended fork length? i'm looking at a second hand Manitou sherman 110-150mm. Plan on this bike being my AM rig, aiming for the 30-33lb range. Right now it's somewhere like 35-36lbs.

#4 ·
I was just checking out some old pics of my 2003 Joker (gen 2) with a 170mm fork on it and it is no where near as slack looking as yours. I know that the shock on the 2nd version was longer than the '01-'02 models, I vaguely recall it being an 8.5 x 2.5 length/eye to eye. I think I still have an adapter that allowed you to run the older 7.5's, they gave those out to those who exploded the early versions so you could use your old shock as a spare.
Any idea as to what year yours is, it has a very different looking swing arm than what I remember seeing prior to them being discontinued.

#5 · (Edited)
I atill don't know what year it is. From research ive found that it is one of the later versions with the revised swingarm, so 2004 or later I think. But the swingarm seems to have been modified with extra gussets. As for the shock length, it doesn't have enough room for an 8.5 inch shock or a 8.0 for that matter. And while the fork I have only has 150mm of travel, it's A/C measurment is closer to that of a 200mm dual crown fork. So it would make sense that it is slacker.

Edit: According to this thread http://forums.mtbr.com/downhill-freeride/ellsworth-joker-review-49876.html
It's a 2004

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.