Good job!

that's DOPE, guy

enjoy... my buddy should be gettin' his soon then
    I Ride, I Know

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by TT.
    that's DOPE, guy

enjoy... my buddy should be gettin' his soon then
    Can you still get the full 6" with the Talas or is it only 5"?

Hope to have mine next week.

Guess I need to get my Joker sold so I have some parts to put on the Moment!
    Nothing to see here.

Lay off the Levers
    Oh so friggin' nice!!!!

From the pictures it looks like EW hit their bb and tt height targets. That thing looks like it rails.

Can't wait to read the ride report! Cheers and congrats!
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Well so far im amazed at it,the way it handles etc.

Its better than i thought it was to say the least.

Not much time at the mo but im gonna give you a more detailed report later.

Trail rider and racer
    Fantatic.

I want! I want! I want! That looks really fine.

Cant wait to hear a good detailed ride report too...
    Trev!

mtbr member

... and if we just ... sweetness!!

That is a nice moment!!! I love the way it is built up and the color too!! Looks like a fun bike to ride!!!

Not a Barry supporter.
    Holy cow...I have a lot of drool to clean up now.

That's sweet lookin'. How does she climb? What's the bb compared to the Id?
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Where do i start,
    1st ride it took some getting use to.Front end surprisinly very light i was all over the place at 1st,but soon got a feel for it.

Climbing-bloomin spot on for a fullsusser,very impressed.I like to climb and theres hardly any pedal bob i couldnt even notice it.Talas rear sus,turn the switch to 1half and the front sus slide the lockout on its feels nice and stiff. Havent been using the dials for the suss all the time as im happy a lot of the time without having to adjust on the climbs.

One thing in all is it really does have a nice bit of stiffnes that u can feel in the bike overall.

Now ive been doing mainly technical singletrack on it,hammering it on the DH,s and weaving ont the tight bits you know what i mean.Anyways the wheels stick and track the ground.It just wants to go fast all the time..
    Short steep bits, rolling off drop offs, eats em up where my other bikes wouldnt be able to do it.

Suspension bedding in nicely at the mo,SSinga Talas is less than 6" travel.

One thing that does bother me is maybe i should have got a size smaller (i got a 17"
    i dunno really.Im 5ft 10 and my stand over, well my balls touch the TT lol.Now if i raise my seatpost a bit because of the sloping seat tube i can stand a bit further down the TT which gives me more standover about 1" and a half. ------ Any ideas?????
    Maybe the small size would be too small( i hope may settle my mind more)?

The bike is fairly high i know but the BB clearence in my view is nice with enough clearence for when you get to rutty stuff etc.

Anymore questions i will try and answer them and if you want any more info on how it handles etc pls ask.

The bike all in all is a lot better than i thought it would be (Riding and the finish on it) and the guy who built it up has done a top job full credit to him.Down to him choosing mainly black for my components.

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by Blower
    Where do i start...
    BB clearence in my view is nice with enough clearence for when you get to rutty stuff etc.

Anymore questions i will try and answer them and if you want any more info on how it handles etc pls ask.

The bike all in all is a lot better than i thought it would be (Riding and the finish on it) ....
    Congrats again! Could you post some basic measurements? BB(center) and SO(at forward level pedal) What's your true inseam BTW?

But I'm really interested in reading more of your thoughts on handling, small, medium, and large bump absorbtion, how does the Talas feel? Let us know when you get it dialed and what settings you prefer the most. And how do you know how much travel your're getting? That's something that's alwasy confused me.

You're in for a fun summer eh?

not so super...

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Where do i start,
    1st ride it took some getting use to.Front end surprisinly very light i was all over the place at 1st,but soon got a feel for it.

Climbing-bloomin spot on for a fullsusser,very impressed.I like to climb and theres hardly any pedal bob i couldnt even notice it.Talas rear sus,turn the switch to 1half and the front sus slide the lockout on its feels nice and stiff. Havent been using the dials for the suss all the time as im happy a lot of the time without having to adjust on the climbs.

One thing in all is it really does have a nice bit of stiffnes that u can feel in the bike overall.

Now ive been doing mainly technical singletrack on it,hammering it on the DH,s and weaving ont the tight bits you know what i mean.Anyways the wheels stick and track the ground.It just wants to go fast all the time..
    Short steep bits, rolling off drop offs, eats em up where my other bikes wouldnt be able to do it.

Suspension bedding in nicely at the mo,SSinga Talas is less than 6" travel.

One thing that does bother me is maybe i should have got a size smaller (i got a 17"
    i dunno really.Im 5ft 10 and my stand over, well my balls touch the TT lol.Now if i raise my seatpost a bit because of the sloping seat tube i can stand a bit further down the TT which gives me more standover about 1" and a half. ------ Any ideas?????
    Maybe the small size would be too small( i hope may settle my mind more)?

The bike is fairly high i know but the BB clearence in my view is nice with enough clearence for when you get to rutty stuff etc.

The bike all in all is a lot better than i thought it would be (Riding and the finish on it) and the guy who built it up has done a top job full credit to him.Down to him choosing mainly black for my components.
    You just scared me on the stand over part! I'm only 5'7" and I too ordered a medium so I'm REALLY interested in the actual SO measurement. My Joker is a medium and with a BG 2.5 and Fox Vanilla RLC I have a little room. It fits me perfectly with the Ionger TT and the numbers on the Ells site for the Moment looked almost Identical to what was published for the 01 Joker so I went Medium. Please get those measurements!!!!
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    My inside leg is 31" i have quite short legs really.

As for other measurements, give me a more detailed account on how, and where to measure, to and from etc as i aint that good on the teccy side of things.

SSinga look into it more but my balls do touch the TT.It doesnt affect the handling of it.

Bikezilla on the fork i have the travel dial on full,dunno how much travel im getting though.I got the shop to set it to my weight for the sag etc.As for the front fork it feels very soft but doesnt really compress much on small bumps.But i need to play around with the susspension more really.And with the Talas rear with the 3 options on the switch which change the geometry of the frame which i need to understand more?

Lay off the Levers
    My inside leg is 31" i have quite short legs really.
    To get your true inseam (not your pants inseam) measure barefoot from the floor to your pelvic bone, dead center between your legs. (you'll have to move your bullstock to the side) Best done pulling a flat ruler up into place, perpendicular to the wall, and make a mark. I used a level instead of a ruler to make sure i didn't angle it. Then measure from the floor to the mark. That's your true inseam.

As for other measurements, give me a more detailed account on how, and where to measure, to and from etc as i aint that good on the teccy side of things.
    Start by making sure the bike is level and standing up straight and is unsagged.

BB height: Measure straight up from the floor to the center of the BB spindle.

Standover: measure straight up from the floor passing through the point just behind the spindle of the forward pedal. Your cranks must be parallel to the floor. For a 175mm crankset this puts the measurement at about 6.5" in front of the BB. This is method is used because a) it's the only way to standardize. and b) it measures at a point where most people will stand because the seat won't let you stand any farther back.

Effective Top Tube: Dammed if I know. Maybe try from the center of the steerer tube cap bolt, to the center of the seatpost, keeping the ruler level from point a to b...I have no idea if this is the standard way.

SSinga look into it more but my balls do touch the TT.It doesnt affect the handling of it..
    Just turn your head and cough

Bikezilla on the fork i have the travel dial on full,dunno how much travel im getting though.I got the shop to set it to my weight for the sag etc.As for the front fork it feels very soft but doesnt really compress much on small bumps.But i need to play around with the susspension more really.And with the Talas rear with the 3 options on the switch which change the geometry of the frame which i need to understand more?
    I've never messed with a Talas. It's a mistery to me. I'm interested in what you find out. G' Luck and enjoy that sweet bike!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Ive had a go,

My true inseam is 32"

BB is just under 13 and 3 quarter inches,

SO is 16 and a half inches.

As for Talas i aint a clue either really,any help would be good.

not so super...
    Ive had a go,

My true inseam is 32"

SO = 16.5" ??? Try your standover measurement from the floor.

Thanks!
    Nothing to see here.

Lay off the Levers
    Ive had a go,

My true inseam is 32"

Thanks for the four-one-one!

Check that standover measurement...it sounds as if you have 16" between the bike and your coconuts.

If you're not totally bored by all this, and have nothing more important to do...like ride...
    The standard way to measure standover is from the floor to the top of the top tube, in a line that passes just behind the foward pedal spindal when the cranks are flat(parallel) to the floor.

That is take a tape measure, put the end on the floor, pull it straight up, rest it on the back of the pedal spindal against the crank arm, extend it to the top tube and read that point. Remember to have the cranks level and use the crank arm that is pointing forward.

not so super...
    Ive had a go,

My true inseam is 32"

So far (I know it is only one) the Ells advertised spec is correct for the BB height

Add = 13.7"
    Blower = Just under 13 and 3 quarter inches.
    Nothing to see here.

rr
    I don't do PC
    [QUOTE=Bikezilla]
    Effective Top Tube: Dammed if I know. Maybe try from the center of the steerer tube cap bolt, to the center of the seatpost, keeping the ruler level from point a to b...I have no idea if this is the standard way.
    [QUOTE]

This is done by starting at the center of the TT/HT junction and measuring to the center of the seatpost on a level plane.
    Last edited by rr; 06-17-2004 at 11:38 AM.

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    [Effective Top Tube:] This is done by starting at the TT/HT junction and measuring to the center of the seatpost on a level plane.
    Ahhh thanks. Sooooo we finally get to see you new scoot! sweet. Hmmm it's red... does that mean what I think it means?

Gonna post your thoughts in a forum somewhere?

rr
    I don't do PC

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Ahhh thanks. Sooooo we finally get to see you new scoot! sweet. Hmmm it's red... does that mean what I think it means?

Gonna post your thoughts in a forum somewhere?
    You mean "gay" red or "I'm really fast so I have a red bike" red-LOL. I wanted some color coming off my gray ano. bike. I posted a few weeks back in the What bike to buy forum, but I need to do a follow-up since I have a month on it now. I LOVE it!, very stiff and plush, the pedaling platform is FIRM with the Curnutt, more so than the Truth and the 5 Spot.

Blower- beautiful bike! I love the gray/black/silver color combo. Enjoy

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Ive done all this with a joiners rule and a spirit level.

standover height i measured at 31 and a half inches.

I measured from the weld onto the head tube to the seatpost in a level line and it was 23 and a half inches.

not so super...

I measured from the weld onto the head tube to the seatpost in a level line and it was 23 and a half inches.
    Great! Now put that stuff down and go ride that thing!!!!!
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    SSinga have you decided with you're frame sizing after what i posted?

Lay off the Levers

Sounds great! Thanks, I hope your next pictrues have dirt in them.

Brass Nipples!

Kinda late to the party, but...

[QUOTE=Blower]SSinga look into it more but my balls do touch the TT.QUOTE]

The critical measurement no one's asked for is the PBSS (pubis to bottom of scrotal sac), without which the standover is difficult to evaluate .

I'm a little worried about the high standover. Blower's bike is measuring a full 3 inches taller than spec. on the Ellsworth website. I've got a 19" on order and my inseam is 34 inches. If it's 3 inches taller, too, I'll need to get a 17" instead.

What size tires are on the bike, Blower?

Trail rider and racer
    Great! That review was really informative and all the specs sound cool too - I really want one big time.

I have one question that I am sure anyone can answer.

Why does the bike have such a long TT for a 17" bike??? A 19" turner for example (Similar type of bike) has a similar TT - That TT would suit me but I would have tons of post showing.....
    Trev!

not so super...

New question here. Please verify geometry numbers Ellsworth

[QUOTE=Bob the Wheelbuilder]
    SSinga look into it more but my balls do touch the TT.QUOTE]

The critical measurement no one's asked for is the PBSS (pubis to bottom of scrotal sac), without which the standover is difficult to evaluate .

I'm a little worried about the high standover. Blower's bike is measuring a full 3 inches taller than spec. on the Ellsworth website. I've got a 19" on order and my inseam is 34 inches. If it's 3 inches taller, too, I'll need to get a 17" instead.

I might need to look into getting a small if Blower's measurement of 31" is correct. I hate to give up 1.25" in top tube length but a SO of 29.5" is the max my short legs will support. Hopefully changing the size work delay my order another 5 months!

Anyone else get theirs yet? how about someone from Ellsworth or Wrench Science? Can you verify the numbers?
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    [QUOTE=Bob the Wheelbuilder]
    SSinga look into it more but my balls do touch the TT.QUOTE]

Specialized Enduro 2.3,s

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Cant say im happy about the SO height either i measured it again and again still 31.5 inches.
    Nothing near 28.5 like the wesbite says.If it was 28.5 it would be just right for me.

not so super...

Upset

Cant say im happy about the SO height either i measured it again and again still 31.5 inches.
    Nothing near 28.5 like the wesbite says.If it was 28.5 it would be just right for me.
    Crap - Looks like I need to get to work on changing my order - if that's even possible now!
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I hope im wrong SSinga and theres something ive done wrong or summat in measuring it etc.But like i say my SO height aint too good.All in all it needs a few inches off it.

Anyone else contribute to this, Ellsworth or WS?

mtbr member
    May 2004

Standover Specs

Check it in:
    (please refer to Blower photo #2 for reference)

I just measured a production MOMENT size Medium, with 2.35 Nokian NBX meats
    (FOX DHX 5.0 shock)
    The standover as measured just in front of the seatmast gusset is 28”
    (just above the ICT logo)

Using the method “Zilla” suggested measuring standover:
    “That is take a tape measure, put the end on the floor, pull it straight up, rest it on the back of the pedal spindal against the crank arm, extend it to the top tube and read that point. Remember to have the cranks level and use the crank arm that is pointing forward.”

This puts the measurement way out in the middle of the sloping top tube, like 2” to the right of the “T” in MOMENT. Blower is correct; it measures 32” way out there.

The standover measured at the “E” intersection in MOMENT is 30”

This bike has class leading standover clearance. Look at the pic, How could it be any lower?
    Enjoy the ride, these bikes are amazing!

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellsworth Bicycles
    Check it in:

(FOX DHX 5.0 shock)

“That is take a tape measure, put the end on the floor, pull it straight up, rest it on the back of the pedal spindal against the crank arm, extend it to the top tube and read that point. Remember to have the cranks level and use the crank arm that is pointing forward.”

This puts the measurement way out in the middle of the sloping top tube, like 2” to the right of the “T” in MOMENT. Blower is correct; it measures 32” way out there.

This bike has class leading standover clearance. Look at the pic, How could it be any lower?
    Zilla's method seems more realistic than your method, when your standing over the bike your butt is touching the tip of the saddle so your farther forward then the gusset. Your 30" measurement at the "E" in Moment makes more sense, which BTW is the same measurement as my large FXR posted above so your "class-leading clearance" claim seems misleading.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Good Point

Maybe the bike industry should adopt a universal standard method of measuring standover clearance. I provided three different MOMENT standover measurements as a reference tool.
    The traditional old school method of measuring at the seat tube/top tube junction seems outdated. (After all, many road bikes now incorporate “compact” style geometry)

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    Zilla's method seems more realistic than your method, when your standing over the bike your butt is touching the tip of the saddle so your farther forward then the gusset. Your 30" measurement at the "E" in Moment makes more sense, which BTW is the same measurement as my large FXR posted above so your "class-leading clearance" claim seems misleading.
    Forgive me if I somehow suggested this method was my own device. I was under the impression that this is the industry standard for measuring standover b/c this is how most specs I've seen were measured. It seems logical to me as it is repeatable and consistant (for same length crank arms, most folks use 175mm...Of course it helps to know shock fork and tire specs as well. )

I favor the crank-arm method because personally, I think that standover is best measured at the point one is likely to stand over the bike. But I'm by no means an expert.

The specifications diagram in the EW website lead me to conclude this was the method used for the Moment's specs. Discussions like these are great b/c it helps get everyone on the same page. BTW, Tnx EW for getting the info out quickly.

Regardless, it's all clear now so have fun y'all, and choose your weapons wisely

Brass Nipples!

Thanks Ellsworth

I can see that with a long travel fork and a smaller size frame, the top tube is going to have a steep slope, so the measurement location is going to have a big influence on the numbers. I think I'll fit the 19 inch frame OK.

Some standardization of the measurement location would help prevent misunderstandings, I agree. The other spec. that is hard to evaluate is BB height, as that can change variably as a bike sags under a rider with different designs. I think a "sagged" BB height would be more useful than the unladen height everyone seems to list.

not so super...

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Whoa!....

Quote Originally Posted by Ellsworth Bicycles
    Check it in:

(FOX DHX 5.0 shock)

Everyone else is so caught up in the "stand-over" issue am I the only one who noticed this statement?

"I just measured a production MOMENT size Medium, with 2.35 Nokian NBX meats (FOX DHX 5.0 shock)."

Is that shock available? If so, I want one on my Moment! Please let us know!!!!!
    Nothing to see here.

Lay off the Levers
    [QUOTE=SSINGA]Everyone else is so caught up in the "stand-over" issue am I the only one who noticed this statement?

"...(FOX DHX 5.0 shock)."

Is that shock available? If so, I want one...QUOTE]
    Yeah, you, me and half the world.

Brass Nipples!

Fox DHX 5.0

My Moment, due in late July, will be coming with this shock. I hope availability won't cause any delays in delivery.

By the way, a 19 inch frame comes stock with a 500# spring, and I've been told to order a 600# for my riding weight of 200-205#. I'm going to call Fox to confirm the spring rate and order the spring soon.

It's like waiting for Christmas! Actually worse, 'cause you know what day Christmas falls on.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Well Bob i know where you're coming from i waited for mine 3 months.

But im glad i hung on so far it was well worth the wait.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    One thing that does bother me on my Moment.

Is the high front end.Now on climbing especially steep technical singletrack the front ends all over the placewith the high front end. Its hard to keep the bike going and to stop the fron wheel from waggling side to side.

I have 2 spacers under my stem(thomson Elite) with a Cane Creek C2 headset (i know chepo)should i remove these to lower my stem a bit?

Front froks (Talas)sometimes you aint time to knock down the travel and if you do it takes a while to go down and to get back up again.And when you aint time its hard to climb then.

Trail rider and racer

Is the high front end.Now on climbing especially steep technical singletrack the front ends all over the placewith the high front end. Its hard to keep the bike going and to stop the fron wheel from waggling side to side.

I have 2 spacers under my stem(thomson Elite) with a Cane Creek C2 headset (i know chepo)should i remove these to lower my stem a bit?

Front froks (Talas)sometimes you aint time to knock down the travel and if you do it takes a while to go down and to get back up again.And when you aint time its hard to climb then.
    What length is your stem? You may want to get some more weight forward on the climbs. Perhaps move your saddle forward a little more too?
    Trev!

Trail Rider

The first thing I noticed about your Moment was that is a very nice looking bike. The second thing was those handlebars were very high.
    It was hard to tell from the photos though, but from your comments, it is true. Try shifting one spacer at a time on top of the stem to see how you like it. It's all about weight distribution. I wouldn't use my saddle to compensate for the need of a longer stem. It looks like you need to lose the spacers or the riser bar. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Cheers for the replys ill have ago then.
    Dont think my saddle needs to be much further foward really but ill have to experiment.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Hey guys just stumbled on to your discusion I have been an Ells fan for a while and check to see whats up once and a while. I don't own one any more. I now own a Titus switchblade.It has the Talus rear shock option. I know this doesn't make upfor the significant standover difference but it is an unusual size about 3/8 or 1/2 longer than a traditional 2" stroke shock@8and1/4 compared to 7and7/8.I know its not huge but standover may be slightly lower with a conventional shock.Just an observation.Awesome bike I like my Titus ,but I do miss my Ellsworth.Wish I could have kept it and built this one also.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Cheers for info.Wont make much of a difference really though like you say.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Moment upgade bits.

CK headset just bought to go on.
    Fszick Gobi saddle.
    New chain as shimano snapped on 1st week.Bought a Sram (wise choice).
    Flat pedals for mi playabout days (Azonic X).
    Hope QR for seat post.
    Rear wheel on its way out gonna get a beefier rim, 719 at the mo bit weak for me really.

Going through tyre choice at the mo.Need summat good for pinch flats but fairly light.An all rounder aswell.

Thinking of upgrading to coil 6" at some point aswell.

not so super...
    Going through tyre choice at the mo.Need summat good for pinch flats but fairly light.An all rounder aswell.

Thinking of upgrading to coil 6" at some point aswell.
    For tires (tyres) try the Kenda Blue Groove or Nevegal.

I might be selling my Vanilla RC Pro Pedal since I got the DHX .
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Im looking at the 05 stuff Suspension wise.

happy trails!
    Aug 2004

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    Can you still get the full 6" with the Talas or is it only 5"?

Hope to have mine next week.

Guess I need to get my Joker sold so I have some parts to put on the Moment!
    woOO!!

Got my moment! Sweeet bike all black hmm, but not many parts yet, DOH!! im stuck on what bars i should use.. its got to be strong yet light. Im a xc rider essentially however im going to uni in scotland so i will be visitiing Glen Tress etc... so im a little stuck. i like 1 inch rise and was thinking of the EA70 monkey lite but is it strong enough for that. can you help??

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by Krafty
    woOO!!

Got my moment! Sweeet bike all black hmm, but not many parts yet, DOH!! im stuck on what bars i should use.. its got to be strong yet light. Im a xc rider essentially however im going to uni in scotland so i will be visitiing Glen Tress etc... so im a little stuck. i like 1 inch rise and was thinking of the EA70 monkey lite but is it strong enough for that. can you help??
    Get the Easton EA70 aluminum Monkey Bar. I put i 2 years of hard riding (including a couple of DH races) with that bar on my Joker and have moved them to the Moment. They are a 2" rise and 27" long.
    Nothing to see here.