mtbr member

bitten by the 29er bug...talk me out of it!

i have just joined the LBS's race team and now have access to a great price on a GF superfly. Since the shop is not an Ellsworth dealer, i'm sure they'd rather me rider their stuff, but have not told me to do so.

i have an '05 truth and am considering selling it and making the switch to the lighter ht 29er.

i say lighter, but my truth is 23+ so i won't really be saving more than 2-3 pounds.

i initially bought the FS rig because i was getting beat to death on my old aluminum ride. i have since lost about 20 pounds and am a far better rider and question whether or not i really need the FS here in michigan.

any opinions? hopefully from someone that rides both a fs and a 29er?

thanks!

Only dead people are old
    I have no clue as to whether a FS is really needed in MI or not, but I would not give up a FS bike for a HT. I've been on 29ers for 5-years now (both FS and HT) and I love the HT 29er up to a point and that point is dependent on the trail and length of the ride. I've had great success racing short courses (<30-miles) on a HT, but I've also had success racing FS 26" bikes on both short and long courses and poor results racing FS 29ers anywhere. I currently have an Ellsworth Truth that is a 24.5 pound bike compared to my 23.2 lb Fisher HT 29er. The power transfer climbing "feels" better on the HT, but nothing else is better...including average lap times over the long haul or the increased fatigue I get on the HT. The Superfly is a nice ride and weighs in 22-23lbs stock, but it will not necessarily make you a faster or better racer. It would be nice to have one in addition to your FS, but that may not be possible for you. IMO if you are planning on becoming a fairly dedicated racer doing mostly short races then yes the Superfly is a good choice, but if you continue to want and do all-around MTBing then the Ells may be a better choice. Personally, since I've gotten my Ells, the 29er HT and 29er SS-HT have been ridden much less, but I've been heavily drooling after a Superfly as an addition to my collection.

mtbr member
    that is a superb response, exactly what i was looking for. thanks!

basically, it means i'll have to justify to my wife that i need to add to my stable of bikes, not swap out the Ells.

and i've already gotten this response.

but the season is young so i won't give up yet. lol.

HIYAH
    what is with this rash of women telling men where fiscal responsibility starts and stops? Seriously, I buy bike crap when I want...I know that if the power gets turned off, and its my fault, that I am going to take some ****... But I won't be told not to buy something. I do the math on my own...keep the power running...and buy lots of flowers.
    TTHHHHHHHHHPPPPPPPPPTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by On-One
    what is with this rash of women telling men where fiscal responsibility starts and stops? Seriously, I buy bike crap when I want...I know that if the power gets turned off, and its my fault, that I am going to take some ****... But I won't be told not to buy something. I do the math on my own...keep the power running...and buy lots of flowers.

heh. she doesn't tell me i can or can't. but as our goals, financial or other, are mutually agreed upon, expenditures of multiple thousands of dollars are discussed with each other. it works out better that way.

we both have a certain amount of money each month that is set aside for discretionary spending. i have mine and she has hers. but the money i'd have to spend on the GF would vastly exceed my monthly amount and it would be irresponsible of me to take money otherwise intending for furniture, the kids, our future, etc. without at least discussion it with her and making sure our budget can accommodate it.

Time is not a road.
    My wife says that there were just too many roots in MI to justify the change to a HT again. Perhaps you could demo one or borrow one to see and compare for yourself.

mtbr member
    i think i'll just pay off the rest of my 2nd mortgage instead. what is it about bikes that makes us want to very newest and greatest when we already have several very sweet bikes? i'm sure i'll still want it but the reduced lap times won't be great enough to justify the expense.

HIYAH
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    My wife says that there were just too many roots in MI to justify the change to a HT again. Perhaps you could demo one or borrow one to see and compare for yourself.
    Your wife rocks!
    TTHHHHHHHHHPPPPPPPPPTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by On-One
    Your wife rocks!
    She recounted to me the days when she was punished on her Homegrown riding the MI forests. Then again, she also says that FS is cheating...

Dru, have you looked at used or demo frames? I'm sure there's someone out there who looking to upgrade or just didn't like the 29 application for their trails. Might be a good way to pick up a good bike for cheap.

mtbr member
    well, i now ride for my LBS and would get a great deal on a new bike.

mtbr member
    well, i did it. i've gotten in a bunch of rides and i have to say, i'm very impressed. yeah, it bounces around a lot more on some stuff but it really does roll nicer over the vast majority of the trail. and i am 100% sure i'm faster on it than i ever was on the ells. especially through the sandy soft softs. my times on the local trail are great with the 29'r.

i'm hoping that i'll be able to get another truth/epi for my plush days in a year or so when my wife's forgotten how much i dropped on the superfly.