mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Best fork for a Epiphany?

Hi,
    I haven't been riding in a few years, but I think it's time to start again, so I will buy a Ellsworth Epiphany in a few weeks. I have decided most of the components but not the fork. It will be a 2007 Fox 32, but I haven't decided which one yet.

Most of the time I will ride where the elevation changes are less then, let's say, 100m (330 feet). I will travel to places with higher elevation maybe 10-15 times a year and to the alps or similar once a year.

I do not have any experience with med/long-travel bikes so I don't know if travel adjustments (Talas) or lockout is needed?

Is it hard to climb with the Epiphany with a fork in max. travel setting (5.5")?
    Do you often use travel adjustment or lock-out, or do you just use it on very long climbs?

I don't need a lot of other adjustments on my fork so I have narrowed it down to these forks:
    2007 Fox 32 Vanilla R
    2007 Fox 32 Float R
    2007 Fox 32 Talas R
    Which one do you think suit me best? Any other fork you might recommend?

Thank you for your help!
    Best regards

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guma75
    Hi,
    I haven't been riding in a few years, but I think it's time to start again, so I will buy a Ellsworth Epiphany in a few weeks. I have decided most of the components but not the fork. It will be a 2007 Fox 32, but I haven't decided which one yet.

Most of the time I will ride where the elevation changes are less then, let's say, 100m (330 feet). I will travel to places with higher elevation maybe 10-15 times a year and to the alps or similar once a year.

I do not have any experience with med/long-travel bikes so I don't know if travel adjustments (Talas) or lockout is needed?

Is it hard to climb with the Epiphany with a fork in max. travel setting (5.5")?
    Do you often use travel adjustment or lock-out, or do you just use it on very long climbs?

I don't need a lot of other adjustments on my fork so I have narrowed it down to these forks:
    2007 Fox 32 Vanilla R
    2007 Fox 32 Float R
    2007 Fox 32 Talas R
    Which one do you think suit me best? Any other fork you might recommend?

Thank you for your help!
    Best regards
    You should tell us a little more about your riding terrain (ie is it rocky and twisty, smooth and straight, etc...) that will dictate most of the inpu there. I ride in Austin, TX where it is twisty and rocky. I had the RS Revelation for about a year, but it always felt a tad short (twitchy) on the EPI, so I just switched to the PIKE 454 air U-turn and the bike feels just right now...I thought I would want to crank down the Uturn, but never do, the Epi always climbs great - I'm thinking of converting it into a dual air to drop the useless weight.

The maxel (on the pike) is incredible, I was really skeptical on weather I'd notice a difference, but it really fine tunes the handling a LOT, giving you much more confidance.

With that said, my budy is riding his Epi with the 2007...i think it is the float, and he loves it. My other riding budy has a 2007 vanilla on his 5.5 and it is soooooooo smoooothe - I love it. Don't love anything enough to get rid of the maxel though.
    Hydrate or Die Trying

Hooray Beer!
    i have the RS Rev as well on the epi and while no major complaints think a better fork is our there. Do quite a bit of unrelenting climbing (some trails 7-8 miles up to saddle of local mtns) and epi climbs pretty well @130 but like it better at 100 if I know will be climbing long steeps

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I just upgraded from the '06 talas rlc to the '07 rlc and love the switch. The great thing about the '07 ver is the 2 click lever that switches the fork from 140 > 100 in 2 clicks, unlike the '06 ver that had to be wound down with several clicks. It makes it very easy to drop the fork down on the fly to 100mm when climbing and then back up to 140 on the descents. You can climb w/ it @ 140, but it's much better @ 100.
    ****Just Ride****

VooDoo user.
    talas

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks for all advice, but I'm still not sure if I need a Talas fork or not yet.

PAINpusher, I have thought of the Pike too. It seems to be a really good fork but it's a little heavier than the Fox 32 and I want to keep the weight down. (And I guess that the Crossmax ST wheels that I plan to buy aren't compatible with Pike fork)
    I will ride on mixed types of terrain, but it will not be very twisty or rocky.

Gamma88/Moment, do you often use the travel adjustments or just on very long climbs?

I'm most interested in the Vanilla R and the Talas R, but it's really hard chose one, so more advices are very welcome.

Best regards

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

my 0.02$

I own 2 Vanillas, an 02 RL and an 06 RLC. I love the forks, plenty stiff, easy to work on, adjustments that work and buttery smooth travel.

Wnei i got my Epi i had considered going for the Float but could not justify the extra 100$ for a few ounces in weight, loss of plushness and reduced reliability of an air fork. Same with TALAS...there were toomany stories out there about problems that Scared me away from TALAS. I dont have any long climbs in my area but lots of short super steep ones and the 130 mm Vanilla gives me no problems on the climbs.

thumbies

anc
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Talas

Time is not a road.
    How about a Marzocchi XC 700 SL...90-130mm adjustable travel, under 4lbs.

http://marzocchi.com/Template/detail...DOggetto=31036

Then again, I'd get this and beef it up if it was my bike:

http://marzocchi.com/Template/detail...DOggetto=31044
    Last edited by chad1433; 01-08-2007 at 01:34 PM.

over 50 years of cycling

Cool-blue Rhythm and now for something competely different

I am actually reading this with much interest.
    I am also new to the world of long travel forks and on the fly travel settings.
    Here's a thought.....
    I got my bike with a VERY cheap Manitou Minute 1, to keep costs down and not have to debate tossing a $600 fork away later for not being "quite right".
    You can pick up the Manitou Minutes for almost nothing(relative to forks), its seems to work suprisingly well with the Epi, it adjusts with an easy knob, albeit not without dismounting, from I think 100 to 130 or 140....I forget at the moment. I am definitely playing around with different settings to see what works best in what situation and see if I REALLY miss having on the fly adjustment and what kind of range I actually USE, and what other features I might wish I had. After a year or two, I can dump this fork without feeling too bad and sink some SERIOUS money into EXACTLY what I need, after everyone else has sunk their serious money into trying out different forks and reporting back here.

....and thanks everyone. I do appreciate the sacrifice.

Meanwhile the el cheapo Manitou is actually working out suprisingly well.
    Live in the moment.
    YMMV

aje
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm using the Talas 07 RLC as well....so far, I've been climbing on 140mm (on road leading to the trails...its no issue at all, but on trails, its a little hardwork, but managable). Dropping it to 100mm on the fly sure does give me the flexibility I like.

As for overall usage, I've come from a POS fork, so by far this is serving me very well...afterall, I haven't had much else to compare to.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks everyone!
    I have ordered an Epiphany with a 2007 Fox 32 Vanilla R. I might try a Talas in the future.

Best regards

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Fork advice

I`m riding with the Fox Float. When bike was built I ordered the Talas. But it was when they were bringing in the new line. They gave me the Float for the price of Talas. I was not sure since owning the Vanilla on my Truth. I thought the climbing would suffer in full travel mode, but not the case. Now I ride without having to turn dials. Climbs better than the Truth and doesn`t dive on turns.I also like not having constant oil weep the Vanilla had. I did the service of the fork every year.I don`t think I will have to with the Float. It is not as buttery smooth as the Vanilla. But very close. I had a Minute 2 and did not like. Stiff.