mtbr member
    Aug 2007

asymetrical chainstay for 04 truth

Has anyone out there upgraded to a asymetrical chainstay on an older Truth? Not that my
    original chainstay is broken, I'd just like to have the added benefits of the newer version.
    I've E-mailed them and they have yet to reply. I'm also curious as to how much $$$$$ the upgrade is going to cost me.
    Thanx.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by localboyvv
    Has anyone out there upgraded to a asymetrical chainstay on an older Truth? Not that my
    original chainstay is broken, I'd just like to have the added benefits of the newer version.
    I've E-mailed them and they have yet to reply. I'm also curious as to how much $$$$$ the upgrade is going to cost me.
    Thanx.
    Interested in this myself as the clearance is very poor on 04 chainstays and the asymmetrical ones look like they have more space for mud. They are also supposed to be stiffer aren't they?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I realized that my chainstay was cracked Friday before the 24hours of Moab on my 04 truth. I took it into town to a local bike shop and all they had in stock was the asymetrical... they said they had tried to put them on an 04 frame, but it did not line up quite right, so they wouldn't do it... I had a back up bike so I didn't push it with them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by seyore
    I realized that my chainstay was cracked Friday before the 24hours of Moab on my 04 truth. I took it into town to a local bike shop and all they had in stock was the asymetrical... they said they had tried to put them on an 04 frame, but it did not line up quite right, so they wouldn't do it... I had a back up bike so I didn't push it with them.
    So the new asymmetrical chainstay is not compatible with older frames? Where did it not line up right? For it not to fit have the pivot widths or position moved?

Rolling
    That is odd. In the past, the Id was compatible with the Truth and the asym works on the Id, I have one. But I do know he rear pivot position is different (back a little). Maybe that is why they thought it wouldn't line up. But the stay length is the same and should still work--It will just act the same at the current '04.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    hopster/lidarman,
    I am not sure what the issue was... the LBS was Moab Cyclery (www.moabcyclery.com) in Moab. I talked to the Manager (Johnny(?), I think), he could probably give you the details of the issues that they saw.
    sorry I don't have more details, I was in a bit of a rush and they were busy at the time.

sock puppet

your LBS is full of ****

i had asymetrical stay on my 04 truth and it fit perfectly...

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    your LBS is full of ****.
    Moab cyclery is not his LBS, and they are actually a good shop. Maybe all they had was the Large version (See the crank thread on this) now that I think about it. That they even had one is shocking since most shops in Moab seem to lack parts. I couldn't even find a cheap 27.2 mm seatpost when I bent mine once.

Silver bullet
    It seems odd that there was a problem fitting the asymmetric stay to the older frame. I bought an 06 truth early in 06 and it came with the old style stays. There was a problem with them and Ells replaced them with the asymmetric stays under warranty. So in effect they just told me to replace the old style with the new.

I like Moab Cyclery and John too so this is nothing against them.

If you're really serious about replacing them I would just call Ellsworth. They're good to talk to.