mtbr member
    Nov 2006

anyone using xtr 2x10 on Epiphany?

Am going to upgrade to 10spd XTR on my Epiphany as current shifters and mech are shot. Currently using standard triple 11-32 cassette. Can't decide whether to go triple or 'trail' double 38/26 on the front. I'd like to go double as this seems to make sense avoiding overlapping etc - but one of my main concerns is how the front chain position affects the suspension.

With the current 9spd triple I definately feel that the suspension feels great in the middle and big ring, when I need to use the small ring upfront I want to change up to middle asap as it feels more efficient, granny gear feels 'softer' - which makes sense given ICT system/ chainline/ pivot location.

My thinking is that on most big climbs I'll be using the 26 on a double, maybe using cogs down the block - but if I'm stuck in the granny gear equivalent then maybe i'll be disaapointed with how this effect the suspension.

Does anyone have any experience on how the new generation 2x10 doubles work/ feel on the ICT system? and which of the XTR double ratios feel best.

How shimano is marketing its compact triple seems to make sense for ICT, maintaining the chainline in a better position - but I can imagine i'd be mainly using the middle ring here, with lots of redundant gears.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I ran an SLX 2x10 on my Epiphany and had absolutely zero problems. It's the ideal setup for riding in my parts (Austin, TX), not to mention the bash guard is a huge plus.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

2 x 10

I set up my old Truth w/ XX last year. 39/26 crankset; plus the 11-36 cogset; I essentially lose the highest and lowest gears that we on my old 3 x 9 XT; rarely is this noticed, b/c I up saved literally 2 lbs and it rocks! Even though I ride in Leavenworth, WA where all trails are super steep. I'll never go back to triples!