mtbr member
    Oct 2004

anyone successfully fit a moment in a performance cargo case?

for my test run just now, i had to take the fork off. and even then it was a squeeze width wise. i think to be truly comfortable flying with it i'd have to take the rocker arms off too. anybody who's done it got any packing hints? is there something i could get to keep the rocker arms from compressing if the airlines puts something heavy on it? all suggestions are greaty appreciated.

Silver bullet
    I travel with my Moment quit a lot and haven't had any problems yet. One trip was from New York to Alaska with two connections both ways and all went well. I have a Trico case but I would guess they would pretty much be the same.

I remove the fork also. I didn't take the rocker arms off. I went to Home Depot and bought some 3/8" threaded rod and some nuts to use as a spacer betweent he dropouts and that worked good. I had enough to make one for the fork too but since I laid it flat in the case it didn't really need it. I also bought a bunch of wire ties and tie everything together. I pull the hand grips off and put them between my fork tube and down tube and squish them real tight with the wire ties. I don't leave anything loose!! I tie the seat post with the seat on it in the rear triangle and the handle bar with the stem along the top tube. I unbolt the rear derailleur and tie it inside the rear triangle. All if this is cushioned with either rags or bubble wrap. I slide one side of my Shimano XT crank arms off and take the other pedal off the other side. I take the handle bars off and just slide the shifter and break levers off and secure them anywhere good in the case. I usually have room for my shoes, helmet and Camelbak in there too.

I know it looks scarey and like it might get squished especially after you put the wheels in and close the case but so far I've been lucky. Sometimes I'll ship it FedEx because it's about half of what the airlines charge and bike shops are usually pretty good if you call them ahead of time and ask if you can have it shipped to them. It takes about three days for them to ship it cross county so I just ride my Truth till my Moment gets home. Whenever I ship it FedEx I add extra insurance. It just cost me $42 to ship it from Alabama to NY insured for $4000.

All in all once I got used to it I can take it apart and put it back together (in a hotel room) in 45 mins or so. I've had it to 10 states so far and hope to get more.

Good Luck.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Isis in a Thule box to China

Just sent my Isis back to China after homeleave, bought the Thule box from my local bike shop. I had pretty much all of the same apprehensions (crushed frame, taco'd wheels, etc)
    but all was fine. This box has you place the wheels in the bottom, put the plastic piece over them and add one foam spacer. I had to remove my QR 20 FR fork and fit it next to the frame. A little messing with the bars, wrapping the Thomson seat post and adding the top foam spacer pretty much finished the job. Was worried about the swingarm being crushed when I got to the ferry but no worries at all. We really had to work the top half of the box to get it to almost close, but in the end it survived perfectly, even being mis-placed in the Hong Kong airport.
    I highly recommend this box and if you are in Portland, OR talk to the crew at Trailhead Cycles!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    [QUOTE=
    I highly recommend this box and if you are in Portland, OR talk to the crew at Trailhead Cycles![/QUOTE]

funny enough, portland is where i'm going.

anyhoo, this is all very reassuring. i've been collecting bubble wrap so i probably have enough to wrap my entire bike now. what do you do about the greasy bits though? do you clean em an regrease when you put it back together? i was thinking of wrapping em in newspaper and then putting bubble wrap over that.

what about air shocks? should i release the pressure before packaging or does it matter? would i need to bleed my brakes afterwards, too? so much to think about. this whole thing is very stressful.

Silver bullet
    Yea it was a little stressful for me the first few times. I would hang by the window at the gate and see if I could watch them load in on the plane. Now I just mill around the airport.

The greasy little parts and any other loose parts like the skewers, pedal and things I pack in zip lock freezer bags. The freezer bags are a little heaver than others you can buy. I wire tie them in my bottle cage. The chain I just wipe off good before I take the bike apart. The things like the cassette and the bottom bracket I put a rag between them and the foam so the foam won't get greasy.

I never bothered to let air out of anything and never had a problem.

The only thing that bothers me is opening the case after a trip and finding one of the FSA cards in it to let me know that it was opened and inspected. Fortunately nothing was out of place.

By the way...Oregon is on my list of places to visit. Probably next spring.