mtbr member

anyone ride a moment in Whstler?

Looks like I will be heading to whistler in aug. I have an epiphany and a moment and a few hardtails. I was wondering if any one has taken their moment to whistler? Mine is a 2005 with a dhx air and a duel air pike on the front. I currently have a 2.0 on the back tire and a 2.25 blue groove on the front. I am probably not looking at doing alot in the park, but I still worry this isn't enough bike. I could easily throw some bigger tires on it but a fork would obviously cost a little bit more. I couold be talked into a fox 36 or a zoik 66. Just wondering what people's experiences have been in whistler with their moments.
    Thanks
    Live fast, Die young, Leave a good looking corpse!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Your Moment will be more than enough. Stick some Fat Albert 2.35's on. I picked up a bargain 2007 Manitou Nixon 160 super intrinsic recently, my Moment really flies now coupled with a DHX ti coil on the back. Although I have an air Pike and PUSH'd float for trail duty
    "[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]but I do not see anything in the world of suspension methods that is superior to the 4 Bar.

Dave Turner[/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bridgestone14
    Looks like I will be heading to whistler in aug. I have an epiphany and a moment and a few hardtails. I was wondering if any one has taken their moment to whistler? Mine is a 2005 with a dhx air and a duel air pike on the front. I currently have a 2.0 on the back tire and a 2.25 blue groove on the front. I am probably not looking at doing alot in the park, but I still worry this isn't enough bike. I could easily throw some bigger tires on it but a fork would obviously cost a little bit more. I couold be talked into a fox 36 or a zoik 66. Just wondering what people's experiences have been in whistler with their moments.
    Thanks
    I personally think if you decide to ride in the bike park you should rent a dh specific bike, you will have a much better experience, and the money you spend on the rental will probably be less than the amount of damage you do to your bike. For most riders the whistler bike park is an experience as much as anything else because the trails are so groomed and perfect, and my opinion is the best way to enjoy that experience is to go all out with a dh bike, it is just way more fun.

mtbr member
    Have you rented a DH bike there? Are they worth the rental? Everytime I have rented a bike I just wish I had brought my own.

mtbr member
    There are several shops in Whistler that rent bikes. Most of them will rent FR bikes, not DH bikes.

The bike shop where you buy the lift pass rents Kona Stinky with a 66 or 88 fork, depending on the size of the bike. I had my Turner RFX with a 66, DHX Coil and DH wheels (kitted out this way the bike weighs 39 lbs), while my wife rented the Stinky.

It's not just a question of bike frame: if you have a sturdy wheelset, wide 2ply or UST tires, DH tubes and a 150mm or longer fork then you will probably have a good time on the Moment. If not, you have a pretty good chance that you will damage the bike and will not feel as confident as you would on a more appropriate rig.

I am not sure how much you have ridden at ski resorts, but keep in mind that the answer to your question depends very much on what trails you'll be riding at Whistler. If you'll spend your time on the groomed, BMX-style jump trails like Crank it up or even A-line, the Moment would probably be fine if you don't go huge (and then again it would be the wheelset that suffers first). On the other hand, if you are going to hit some of the more technical trails like Whistler DH, Original Sin a little more suspension will go a long way. If you are looking at trails like Schleyer/Joyride, Clown shoes or the likes, well then you wouldn't be asking the question ....

Keep in mind that while the bike park is a lot of fun, there are tons of amazing trails all over the area outside of the park. Many of these trails (again, assuming that you are not looking for an extreme freeride experience) would be perfectly suited to the Moment.

I would suggest you definitely bring your bike. If you have an extra wheelset bring it along with beefy tires and tubes. If you ride in the park, rent a bike the first day and see how it goes. If you hate it you can always go back to the parking lot and grab your own bike.

One more thing, if you are new to the bike park, there are these "guided tours" offered when you buy your lift ticket. They are not expensive (around $30 per person) and people are well matched in groups according to theirs skills and interests. They run for about 3-4 hours and are somewhere between a mini-clinic and a tour. I found it useful and fun, my guide was a racer for the KHS team and my riding progressed significantly from following him around and having him follow me around.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I agree with everything so far. The first time our group hit the park we found we did not have enough brakes. If you look at all the rentals they have at least 200 mm rotors. But for any of the other trails out side the park your rig will be fine. There are sooooo many awsome trails outside the park you could ride for weeks and not do the same trail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

rental fr/dh bikes

Quote Originally Posted by bridgestone14
    Have you rented a DH bike there? Are they worth the rental? Everytime I have rented a bike I just wish I had brought my own.
    I will agree with you, the rental bikes may not be total pimp bikes, however, if all you own a regular trail bike i think it is worth it. Bringing your own bike would entail having a bike that is fr/dh specific and they cost a lot if you are only going to the park for one trip. Years ago when i was an xc rider i went to Mt Snow in Vermont and rented a kona stinky and it was the most fun i ever had on a bike, because the bike was designed more for that type of riding. IMHO things that factor into dh riding are head angle, top tube length, stiffness of frame, fork, and suspension quality (and to some degree travel). Had i riden a xc bike on a chairlift i would have not had a good time. Come to think of it, i did just that for a race at Plattekill one season, raced on an xc hardtail and hit a drop and went over the bars and lawndarted on my head, i don't remember it, but there were witnesses. I am now a much better rider, but having a bigger bike, with a slacker head angle and a shorter top tube would have really made a big difference in that case.

The moment will however be a sweet trail bike for now resort whistler trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrr
    I agree with everything so far. The first time our group hit the park we found we did not have enough brakes. If you look at all the rentals they have at least 200 mm rotors. But for any of the other trails out side the park your rig will be fine. There are sooooo many awsome trails outside the park you could ride for weeks and not do the same trail.

Very good point about the brakes. Definitely 8in rotors (at least up front) or your brakes will be smoking by the end of the first run.

Custom User Title
    I plan on taking my Moment to the park and the surrounding trails in the valley. I have been to the park three times on my Dare. The wheel base is so long on it I was unable to navagate some of the real tight corners of some of the upper trails. More travel is realy helpful if you are a first timer there. I don't think that there is anything, in my ability level, that I can't do of haven't already done on the Moment.

Right now Clown Shoes is my limit. But who knows.....I 'll find out in Aug when I get there.
    Team MOJO Wheels.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the help. Current plans have us there in aug as well, probably fly into seatle and drive in. Maybe I will see you there coldsteel.

wpg then, van now
    I ride my 06 moment there often, and only have a 150mm Nixon up front, but run 2.5 Nevegals...the bike is perfect up there...

mtbr member
    Very Nice post, nybike1971...

I enjoyed reading it. I appreciate the time you took to write that.

"Well I don't drink as much as I ought to."

~Jerry Jeff Walker~