mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Anyone have a Cannondale Lefty on their Epiphany?

Recently purchased an Epiphany for cross country trail use and I'm thinking of putting my Lefty Max 130mm on it (using a Project 321 adapter). I'm quite heavy and I hate how most forks feel (lack of stiffness); the Lefty feels totally stiff though. I haven't tried a 20mm or 15mm axle based fork before though, but those seem to be heavier in general.

Anyone try this on an Epiphany before? I've only seen examples of the Moment and Id with the Lefty.

Thanks.

LBS Manager
    Because the lefty is a dual crown fork the Epiphany head tube mite not be designed for that kind of stress. I would give Ellsworth a call check into it.

mtbr member
    I somehow think it might void the hit and miss warranty.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I've checked with Ellsworth and they said the Lefty will work fine (does not affect warranty). I asked about the warranty and they're more concerned with the type of riding that caused the warranty request (i.e., epiphany = trail riding; moment = all mountain).

I'm not too concerned about the warranty; I just want a light/stiff fork.

Was considering the Fox F120 QR, but I've read users saying it wasn't nearly as stiff as a Lefty. Was also considering a Lefty Carbon 110mm fork... anyone try a 110mm travel fork on the Epiphany (versus a 130mm fork)? It's less than 1 inch difference, but I'm not sure what that would translate to in regards to the the head angle.

Ologist
    So is that the draw to the Lefty - stiffness? I always wondered why that fork is still in production.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    The lefty is very stiff but you must have a really good front wheel build or else it will feel noodly. Personally I can't see running anything less than 130 mm travel on the Epi.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

"Furruccio....Bite Me!"

Dual Crown?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Hair Boy
    Because the lefty is a dual crown fork the Epiphany head tube mite not be designed for that kind of stress. I would give Ellsworth a call check into it.

I count one crown. Doesn't look very Dual Crown to me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

LBS Manager
    1 plus 1 is 2
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Furruccio....Bite Me!"
    Thank You! I stand corrected.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    130 is the sweet spot for the Epiphany. 140 is a bit more fun on the descent. Lefty's should stay on a Cannondale.

mtbr member
    I ran one on my Id, and it had a great feeling. The geo of the bike sat a bit higher, but once the susp. was loaded, it was fine.

Light, percise, and stiff. Great "fork", even when compared with my Lyrik, Pike, or Vanilla.

I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks for the discussion so far. I'm still undecided. I already have a Lefty Max 130mm TPC+ strut and it would cost only $200 to convert. Or I could go for a new Fox F120 R QR/15mm or Fox Talas R QR/15mm for about $650.

Just for curiosity sake, I installed a Marzocchi Shiver SC 120mm fork that I had lying around and the Epiphany felt like it was too tall and the steering was very slow (like it was "self" wandering). I measured the fork length (from the middle of the axle to the bottom of the lower headset and it was about 502mm. The Lefty Max would measure about 483mm.

What is the recommended fork length of the Epiphany (I've only seen recommended travel (105mm to 130mm), but a 130mm fork length varies between branks)?

Anyone know what the fork length (center of axle to where the lower bottom headset) is for the following forks:
    2009 Fox F120
    2010 Fox F120
    2009 Fox Talas
    Other recommendations?

mtbr member
    I think you should check you numbers.

480mm is A2C for the 110mm Lefty.
    The 140mm Lefty is 510mm.

So I think your your Lefty Max 130mm is going to be somewhere in between. Like 500mm??
    Just get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    My first post in MTBR, here's mine in PBR Lefty Max 130mm with a SST1 Epiphany..

[/url]

mtbr member

Re: Anyone have a Cannondale Lefty on their Epiphany?

Quote Originally Posted by maverick_1 View Post
    My first post in MTBR, here's mine in PBR Lefty Max 130mm with a SST1 Epiphany..

[/url]
    Awesome !

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick_1 View Post
    Super! How it feels? Would like to build something alike, but on sst2 frame and angleset.