mtbr member

Anyone Broken A Moment Yet?

Just curious. I've had mine for 2 full seasons and unlike every other FS bike I've owned, the rear suspension has absolutely no play and has required NO maintenance.

And unlike every Specialized bike I've owned, it has never chain sucked (I know I know, chain suck is supposed to be caused by drive train component wear, but then why do ALL Specialized bikes chain suck?)

So: any horror stories about the Moment? Broken chainstays? Suspension play? Anything?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Just over a year's hard riding on mine and no problems. I've only heard of one that had a problem with a weld on the BB. Ells sorted it.
    "[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]but I do not see anything in the world of suspension methods that is superior to the 4 Bar.

Dave Turner[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Time is not a road.
    I have spent so much money on mine, it's hardly worth it...

New forks, new shocks, new seatpost, new stem, new wheels, new tires, new bars, new derailleur...geez, what a money pit!

VooDoo user.
    Frame is still rocking after nearly 2 seasons and the only thing mine will need is new bearings before spring.

mtbr member
    Mine's 2 years old and I've had no problems at all. I even just spent a boatload of $$ on upgrades! So, I expect to keep it a while longer, and ride it even harder.
    - elivingston

Silver bullet
    Before I bought my Moment I broke two frames from another manufacturer in one season. They upgraded me to a "better" model and after about one month the back wheel was sloppy from loose suspension linkage.
    I got fed up and bought a Moment.
    I've had it for two full seasons and I just ride it and keep it maintained replacing drive train parts, brakes, tires and other normal wear and tear things. With the original pivot bearings the back end is still tight as it was on day one. It's like a Timex watch...takes a lickin and keeps on tickin!!

AKA shitbird
    Had mine about 2 years and no problems at all. Makes me happy because I live in AZ and I'm convinced that the piles of rocks we call trails are the hardest on bikes of anywhere.

Was that a Bobcat?
    Don't own one but a couple buddies of mine ride them. Ride them to hell and back and I have never seen one fail. Also have never heard any complaints about them. Awsome bike IMHO.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moment
    Frame is still rocking after nearly 2 seasons and the only thing mine will need is new bearings before spring.
    Just curious: do you need new bearings, or want them? I've been riding in mud for 2 seasons, had my Shimano crank bearings seize up, but have had no problem with the suspension bearings. 'Course I seldom wash it (your bike's worse enemy is a garden hose) so that's helped.

You should be able to pop the seals and lube 'em.

VooDoo user.
    Quote Originally Posted by brknspk
    Just curious: do you need new bearings, or want them? I've been riding in mud for 2 seasons, had my Shimano crank bearings seize up, but have had no problem with the suspension bearings. 'Course I seldom wash it (your bike's worse enemy is a garden hose) so that's helped.

You should be able to pop the seals and lube 'em.
    When I had my mechanic/buddie do my season end tune and cleaning he noticed a few of them are starting to go. He turned them and said to change them before spring. I trust him 100%. The ones by the BB are the ones most in need of attention by spring. Maybe before if I get out o lot this winter.

In any case they'll get changed before the yearly MOAB trip.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moment
    When I had my mechanic/buddie do my season end tune and cleaning he noticed a few of them are starting to go. He turned them and said to change them before spring. I trust him 100%. The ones by the BB are the ones most in need of attention by spring. Maybe before if I get out o lot this winter.

In any case they'll get changed before the yearly MOAB trip.
    Hmm, I just started to tear my bike apart for the winter rebuild so I haven't turned them by hand yet. But I'll check them to be sure.

We've got a spring trip planned for Fruita. We'll be hitting Moab for a bit of that. The Moment shines in Moab!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Aside from early issues with the residue left in the seat tube and bottom bracket from the shot peening process, mine has been a rock. The surface finish on the tubes is really tough and the frame can go from 29Ib trail bike to 37Ib Alps ripper- and mine does. I dont subject it to any serious hucking, but it can take a beating. It's not until you ride other bikes that you realise how quiet and tight this bike is, i regularly check all the pivots, but in two years not one of them has ever loosened one tiny bit. Like others have said, it is as tight and true as the day i got it, ask anyone who has a VPP bike if they can say the same-(and i have one myself).
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

VooDoo user.
    Quote Originally Posted by brknspk
    Hmm, I just started to tear my bike apart for the winter rebuild so I haven't turned them by hand yet. But I'll check them to be sure.

We've got a spring trip planned for Fruita. We'll be hitting Moab for a bit of that. The Moment shines in Moab!

Yes the Moment does rock Fruita and MOAB. Heading out the last week of March. FRIGGIN CAN"T WAIT!!!!

GoCyco
    Nov 2005

3 seasons on the Moment....

...and still gong strong.

I prefer it to my Epi that I bought last yr. The Epi will be going on Ebay soon.

The only problem I had with the Moment was when I flipped over the bars in a rock garden and the frame landed on a boulder that slightly dented the non-drive seat stay and skewed the disc brake a little. Had to reposition the washers to get out of the woods. Later had the surface refaced.

It is one tough frame.

mtbr member
    In what ways do you prefer it over the Ephiphany? I've often wondered if I should have waited one year for the Epi to be released.

GoCyco
    Nov 2005

my views on the Moment vs Epi

I've played with both bikes all year. Sometimes riding them back-to-back on the same trails. I've switched wheels, tires, forks, rear shocks, and stems, all in an attempt to create the best ride for my style of riding and the trails I spend my time on.

That said, I have found that I always came back to the Moment because it just flys (almost floats) thru the technical rocky sections, where the Epi would sometimes get a little bogged down and the front wheel wouldn't ride up over obstacles like the Moment would. This must be due to the headtube angle being more relaxed. The trails I ride the most here in NE PA are extremely rocky (and I love them that way!). And the Moment just eats'em up.

And the weight difference is not that much a difference or noticable except for boring climbs. I'm a good climber anyway so I'm not handicapped that much. I try to avoid boring, fireroad-type climbs. On technical climbs the Moment is awesome.
    My biggest hangup with the Moment was handling in tight singletrack. But now with a shorter stem (90mm on a M frame) I can snap the bike around pretty quick.
    I also like wide rims and 2.35 tires and have a DHX air on the Moment.
    I don't go for huge air and tend to pedal mostly in the saddle.

Hope that addresses your question.

mtbr member
    Yes, thank you.

I live in Ithaca, NY and often drive down to PA to ride Merli and Prompton. They are by far my favorite trails!

GoCyco
    Nov 2005

PM me if you want

to experience the trails around Mountain Top. They're a lot like Prompton, but without the mub and more rockgardens.Perfect for the Moment!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    I have spent so much money on mine, it's hardly worth it...

New forks, new shocks, new seatpost, new stem, new wheels, new tires, new bars, new derailleur...geez, what a money pit!
    Sounds like your buying crappy parts. I don't see anything wrong with the frame in that list.

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by trail nazi
    Sounds like your buying crappy parts. I don't see anything wrong with the frame in that list.
    I was being totally fecetious and sarcastic in that post...
    Last edited by chad1433; 01-05-2007 at 12:38 PM.