mtbr member

Any one shorten up an ID?

Putting my new ID together and it looks like it will be a bit tall. It's a small frame, and I have a 28 1/2 inseam. The standover may not be that much of a problem, but the saddle height required for proper leg extension will make it difficult to mount in some situations. Has anyone found a cure for this, Different rockers? Smaller i to i shock. 24" tires. Which of these would affect the geometry the least. I would give up that extra inch of travel to make it a more comfortable ride. Thanks for any suggestions. Jim

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo2k
    Putting my new ID together and it looks like it will be a bit tall. It's a small frame, and I have a 28 1/2 inseam. The standover may not be that much of a problem, but the saddle height required for proper leg extension will make it difficult to mount in some situations. Has anyone found a cure for this, Different rockers? Smaller i to i shock. 24" tires. Which of these would affect the geometry the least. I would give up that extra inch of travel to make it a more comfortable ride. Thanks for any suggestions. Jim
    24" wheels will affect geometry the least but certainly affect gearing. You can also use minimal size tires and get maybe a half inch lower BB.

If you put a smaller shock, you will slacken the head angle and reduce the rear travel. But you could put a shorter shock on the rear and a 100 mm on the front too--this might be the best solution. It's a lot easier if you have a fox on the front. The leverage ratio on the rear is 3 so if you use a 7.5" I2I, you will reduce the rear by 1.5" Ideally, you need a 7.625" I2I on the rear.

You could make a new rocker but that has some huge consequences: Cost, creating a warranty problem, and slackening the head angle.

I'd just learn to adjust unless you want a slacker head angle. Otherwise, sell the bike and get a turner or a moment.

two tired
    Mar 2004

Apples to coffeetables

Quote deleted
    It's a different beast. The higher BB definately takes some adaptation if you've not ridden such a tall bike before. I find that being higher makes it easier to balance (balance a yard stick and then a 1 foot ruler on your nose - the longer yard stick is easier to balance because it has a greater rotational inertia) at slow speeds and on stunts. Falling over sucks though.

Experiment with lowering your seat a bit -like an inch, not much. This helps when you have to hike your butt over the rear.

Get used to starting on a pedal and swinging over as you roll forward.

Unless you have been fighting this geometry for months, with no progress/relief, I'd recommend that you try to adapt to the bike, rather than adapt the bike to you.

HTH
    nullman
    Vashon Is. WA

mtbr member

thoughts on shortening up

I will definitely try to adapt to the bike. It is about two weeks from completion,and right now sits with fork, bars, wheels and crank installed.
    The ellsworth web site offers the 04 with either 5 1/2, or 6" of travel depending on the rear shock used, I was just wondering if the use of another model ellsworth rocker, might bring it down to 5" of travel. The six inch travel shock is a 7 7/8 by 2 1/4 travel, giving a ratio of 2.66 to one. A 7 1/2 by 2" shock should bring rear travel down to 5 1/2, but I am unsure what difference that would make in BB height ( 3/8 x 2.66?).Some reviews have suggested that a slackening of the head angle might be a good idea, especially if you have a fork with a large axle to crown measurement.That is why 24" wheels look like a viable option. The motorcycle industry took this route years ago when rear travel went sky high, and if you dont think mtbs are influenced by the moto industry, look at a specialized big hit, or offerings from traditional moto suppliers like Fox, Progressive, Marzochi, Whyte, Magura, and others. Five years ago we were all happy with 3" of travel. Two years ago it was 4". This year it is 5" plus. So it is entirely possible that 24" wheels will become the norm. Right now there are a limited number of 24" rims and tires, and gearing might be a problem. I am sure you can count on the bike industry to crank out all the necessary parts to make conversion to 24" work. For now I will give the bike an honest try, but I have been a wheel builder all my life, and this might be the way to go. Who knows I might be a trendsetter. LOL Jim

Rolling
    I will definitely try to adapt to the bike. It is about two weeks from completion,and right now sits with fork, bars, wheels and crank installed.
    The ellsworth web site offers the 04 with either 5 1/2, or 6" of travel depending on the rear shock used, I was just wondering if the use of another model ellsworth rocker, might bring it down to 5" of travel. The six inch travel shock is a 7 7/8 by 2 1/4 travel, giving a ratio of 2.66 to one. A 7 1/2 by 2" shock should bring rear travel down to 5 1/2, but I am unsure what difference that would make in BB height ( 3/8 x 2.66?).Some reviews have suggested that a slackening of the head angle might be a good idea, especially if you have a fork with a large axle to crown measurement.That is why 24" wheels look like a viable option. The motorcycle industry took this route years ago when rear travel went sky high, and if you dont think mtbs are influenced by the moto industry, look at a specialized big hit, or offerings from traditional moto suppliers like Fox, Progressive, Marzochi, Whyte, Magura, and others. Five years ago we were all happy with 3" of travel. Two years ago it was 4". This year it is 5" plus. So it is entirely possible that 24" wheels will become the norm. Right now there are a limited number of 24" rims and tires, and gearing might be a problem. I am sure you can count on the bike industry to crank out all the necessary parts to make conversion to 24" work. For now I will give the bike an honest try, but I have been a wheel builder all my life, and this might be the way to go. Who knows I might be a trendsetter. LOL Jim
    Unless it's changed, the actually travel of 6" mode (romic) is 5.75"...Tony's roundoff rule? That's a 3 to 1 ratio for a 2.25 stroke romic. And if you read my post above, my new romic has an I2I of 7.75" since I got it back. That dropped my BB by a .5 (not calculated, measured). I still need to release the spring and see if the travel has changed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Idea! Go with Fox ava propedal !!!

The AVA propedal drops the bottom bracket 3/4 '' You don't want to go lower. If so, you should have went with the truth.

Good Luck !!!

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaTime
    The AVA propedal drops the bottom bracket 3/4 '' You don't want to go lower. If so, you should have went with the truth.

Good Luck !!!
    LOL! or a Moment! Spain that?

ID bb height (actual): 14.5" mine measures that unloaded.
    Moment spec'd bb height: 13.7"

Peeps need to get over this BB height thing. I had a truth and now an Id-- and the Id rides just as well as my truth did...but now I have more travel.
    Last edited by lidarman; 03-09-2004 at 09:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Good article in Mountain Bike Mag

The Id was voted bike of the year " Sky is the limit" class. The Id that won was the California edition. The mag claimed a 14'' bb with Romic 7 7/8 " eye to eye 2 1/2 . The Fox AVA propedal 7 1/2 " eye to eye 2" at 13.25" BB .
    The Moment would be good in regard that there is more standover. I have a Heckler that has 13.25 BB and it took me a few rides and I learned to enjoy the higher BB ht.
    My ID will be speced to be lighter. The higher BB ht will great on log crossing and rock gardens. Just so that it climbs like its little brother, Truth.
    Give it Time, you'll love it. Use the ID for what it has to offer.

Again , good luck...

When did you get here?!?!

My small Id w/ AVA...

I'm 5'8" and it felt a little like a highchair at first. But I got used to it. Now, I can't explain it in terms of rotational inertia or anything but, it feels great. Perfect for long days in the saddle. One of my friends is running a 24" wheel on his large ID and he likes the slightly slacker headtube angle and shorter BB but in my opinion, he should be riding a medium and is compensating for that.

Now, if you're any shorter than me I understand you'd have a problem with standover and mounting. If you should really be on the non-existant XS ID I'd go with a 24" wheel. It would (I think) drop the saddle and top tube by an inch and give you more generous standover, and give it a slacker headtube angle.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I ordered a Moment because of the standover problems I had with my ID (first a medium, and now I bought a small but still to little ball room)

My Small ID Black frame with Romic Ti Nitride coated shock is FOR SALE, maybe 300 miles on it.. no headtube badge. while I wait for my Medium Moment

I have 24" rims on my Kona Stuff hardtail with 6" fork, If you go 24's try a 24 on the back first, then 24" on the fron, as it slows you down when you hit rocks as it isn't as large to rollover... so you work a little harder.. but 24" are built proof, you could do some SUN ryno lights in 24" that aren't too heavy...