mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Any Evolution Owners?

I'm looking at getting a new Evolution and wondered if anyone has one and how they are liking it. Also, wondering about sizing. I currently ride an Epic 29 size XL and it fits great. The XL Evolution has a 26" TT vs. 25.5" TT on my Spec. Looks like the Ells may run a bit large? Any opinions greatly appreciated!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Oh yeah

Riding one now for a year. Sweet bike. Best all day riding bike I have had the pleasure to own. First niner. Raced High Cascades 100 on it last summer. I prefer it to my Nomad carbon, which is collecting dust, and previously a Blur LTcarbon, which I sold, and previously an Ells Epiphany,Moment, and Truth. My only quibbles are water bottle mount UNDER the down tube and a preference on my part for a 142 rear axle or some other thru axle to stiffen up that rear end for hard out of saddle climbs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks. What size do you ride? How's the fit? Do you think the rear end stiffness would be an issue for a 6'4" 225lb rider?
    Last edited by BiknBob; 02-11-2012 at 01:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    My buddy rode an XL Epic 26in bike and moved to a XL Evolve that he rides and fits well. He maybe interested in selling the bike. It's a 2011.

We can also hook you up with a Large Evolution that you can demo.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks. Where are you located?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    We are located in central Maryland (patapscobike.com).

Call or email the shop if you to ride the large Evolution or XL Evolve

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks. My local shop is getting an L Evolve in this week. I am going to see how it fits.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I'm on a 29" epic and currently building an xl evolution. If it's built before you make a decision I'll do my best to give some feedback

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks. Went and sat on the L Evolve. I could probably ride it but the drop to the bar would mean alot of spacers. XL would fit me better.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Flex may be an issue for your size

Im 5 10 and 185 riding a size large. I actually bought first a medium thinking its dimensions mirrored my previous experiences with other Ellsworth's. (I've had most of their suspended models short of the Dare in the last ten years). You would definitely be an XL at 6'4".

The rear end does give a little creak with intense out of saddle climbs, some of which may be related to the Easton rear hub. For sure the pivots are very solid. I wish the tubing was a little more built up like the Moment...or they offered a through axle rear end option like a 142. That being said, the Evolution is by far the best riding bike I have ever owned. It just cruises.

I read a comment on a different post postulating that their suspension design and product was a little behind the times. I don't believe that for a second. Why fix what ain't broke? Every generation of every bike I have seen from them has another modification or improvement, indicating responsiveness to research and rider feedback. I think sometimes they get caught trying to make the lightest weight product and then have to go back and buttress certain more readily failing parts. Since '99 I have had two rockers and one chain stay crack. These were replaced and back on my bikes within ten days each time. I actually think that is a pretty good track record given how many mile those old Truths and one Epiphany were put through.

I think the biggest issue behind the perception that Ells is behind the times is they do not have a carbon suspension offering. I suspect that will be rectified shortly. Get me a more rigid 29er rear end and a water bottle mount on the top of the downtube and I will be perfectly satisfied.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks for the review.