mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Anodising flaking off..and bowed downtube.

After years of wanting an Ellsworth, I finally managed to get one of the last 2 Evolutions in the UK in my size. The frame finally arrived and I have got as far as putting the headset in when I noticed some powdery deposits around the main pivot bolt. I brushed it away with my finger and ended up with black flakes on my finger, about 2-3 mm wide and almost half way around the recess for the bolt! There are also streaks, silver/white in colour coming from the cable guides on the chainstay, these are fairly small so I don't mind too much, but flaking anodising is unacceptable.

The other problem I have is when I look at the frame head on, the downtube sticks out about 1/4inch more on the non drive side, I was told by the shop that this is because they are handmade, same excuse as for the flaking finish!

I am really dissapointed in this, anyone ever heard of this happening? Not sure if I should send it back or not.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So nearly 60 views and no one else has heard of this, it must be an isolated fault. Called the shop, they want me to post it back for them to look at.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by happybiker View Post
    So nearly 60 views and no one else has heard of this, it must be an isolated fault. Called the shop, they want me to post it back for them to look at.
    I would try to contact Tony Ellsworth himself. That's tooo much money to put up with flim-flam. Good Luck!

LBS Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr View Post
    I would try to contact Tony Ellsworth himself. That's tooo much money to put up with flim-flam. Good Luck!
    Call Ellsworth and speak to Bryan. He is a great guy and if you explain whats going on I am sure he will take care of you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Been in touch with the shop, they have spoken to Ellsworth and are keen to inspect the frame and then will go from there. The anodising flaking is from where the bearing has been pressed into the frame which I can live with.