Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Annoying creak on my moment

Anyone ever have the pivots creak on their moment? The bike is fairly new, only about 7 rides or so. I've pulled the cranks (slx) and greased all those interfaces. Greased the rear skewer. It's not the saddle as it happens when standing or sitting, but only when I'm pedaling. I can't replicate the sound with just bouncing on the bike, so it seems to only come from side to side weight shifts. I've just recently rebuilt the rear hub (i9), so that's not likely the source. My next step is to pop out the bottom bracket (king) and regrease those threads and possibly take apart the rear swing arm and regrease all the threads and interfaces. I hate tracking down these problems, but it's annoying as hell on the trail.

gnuH
    Chainring bolts? They can creak if cracked (easy to do if alloy), not tightened properly or not greased.

Also try pedalling using one pedal, then the other to try and isolate it.
    A green bird with a red body. We could look it up in a book. Or we could look up

One Gear
    I had a problem with my Epiphany where the rear horst link bearing hole was machined too large. The first time I took it apart to grease it the bearing just fell out. If the bearing hole is too big then it will creak when going side to side. It's easier to check the bearing then to pull the bottom bracket.

Good luck

Dookier
    I had the same problem on my truth. It turned out it was the cables grinding in the cable stops when the suspension would move around. Took me forever to find it. It was infuriating.

LBS Manager
    The first thing I would check is the upper shock mount bolt. I have sold a ton of Ellsworth's and 9 times out 10 any creaking is coming from a shock mount that is either loose dirty or both. I would take the bolt out clean and grease the connection points and put it back in. If that doesn't work it might be one of the other pivots but definitely try that one first.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Thanks folks. I doubt it's chainring bolts, they are aluminum and I lock-tited them and torqued them to specs. The creak also sounds like it's coming from the rear of the bike somewhere, but I know that can be deceiving. I'll see if I can find some time this evening to pull apart the pivots and regrease everything.
    Cheers
    -jon

mtbr member
    Seatpost? My thomson starts to creak every time it gets too dirty.
    Bad rep!!! That's right SON!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by toHELLuRIDE
    Seatpost? My thomson starts to creak every time it gets too dirty.
    Mine does too, but it's not the seatpost. Creak is still there when I stand. There's actually two creaks, one from the Thomson and one from the unknown location. Great seatposts, but man, do they creak.

Praise Bob

Check the steatstay/chainstay bearings as well

I've had the same issue with my older Moment. The bearings that Ellsworth uses dont seal very well and I repack them pretty frequently (2-3 times/year) even though I avoid wet riding and *never* wash the bike with water pressure. Heck I almost never wash the bike at all. It likes being dry and dusty.

The good news is that it is super easy to pop off the seals with a dental pick and check them out. I have also had seatpost and cable creaks, but you can tell the difference because it seems like lateral forces cause the most creaking.

If you track down the culprit please post a follow up!

~S

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Popped apart the swingarm on my moment and greased the heck out of everything before re-assembly. The bottom bracket pivot bearings were already crunchy after about 6 rides...what the hell? Does Ellsworth spec low end bearings or are the seals ineffective? It is east coast riding with multiple stream crossings, but c'mon, 6 rides? I'm considering replacing those with some enduro if they're made in that size. Going for a ride tomorrow morning, so we'll see if I eliminated the creak with the grease. If it's still there, then it's most likely the bottom bracket pivot bearings, which I'll replace when I can get my hands on another set.
    Last edited by jlang002; 06-10-2010 at 08:27 PM.

mtbr member
    I thought Ellsworth's had enduro bearings as standard. That's what TE used to go on about (with all the other dross).

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dibbs_
    I thought Ellsworth's had enduro bearings as standard. That's what TE used to go on about (with all the other dross).
    They aren't enduro, at least they don't say so on the seal. Black seals on these, not the usual enduro orange/red.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Check to see if your derailluer hanger is tight. That was the source af a creak I was sure was coming from the crank area on my Truth.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_S
    Check to see if your derailluer hanger is tight. That was the source af a creak I was sure was coming from the crank area on my Truth.
    I'll give that whirl. I've checked just about everything else. I'm going to swap out the king bb I presently have in there for the shimano that came with my slx crank to eliminate that cause. The creak was loud as ever on my last ride after pulling apart all the pivots and greasing the snot out of all bolts and interfaces...next is popping out the bearings and relubing their bores. Pain in the arse.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

OMG, do i feel your pain

there's nothing worse than a new bike that creaks, or any bike for that matter. i've made a living as a bike shop manager/mechanic for 15 years now, and i have nightmares followed by night sweats from some of the creaks i've had to deal with over the years, mostly on my own bikes.

the worst was my 7 year old independent fabrication ti 29er. after years of popping out the chris king headset multiple times a year to clean and regrease the p.o.s, i finally put in a $20.00 cane creek and haven't had a creaking problem since. what caused the creaking? the rubber ring thingy that king puts in ends up drying out in no time and causes creaking that'll drive ya nuts. will NEVER buy another one of those.

latest episode? my beautifully sassy new scott spark carbon developed a creak after the 1st few months of riding. not too bad, but annoying fer sure. the culprit? after MUCH, too much investigation (thank god i had lots of beer on hand), i discovered that the cause was a slightly overtightened (front) rear shock mounting bolt. after pulling the bolt out i cleaned and greased all surfaces, put it back in, tightened her up, hit up my local wall of a hill that always tells you if yer bike is gonna creak and still a creak. pulled the rear bolt, did the same thing, but didn't tighten the bolt quite as much (don't have a propper torque wrench at home) then thought, hmmm, maybe i'll back off on the front bolt just a c-hair. well what do ya know, creak gone! all gone. put her through a hella techy ride tonight with tons of hard on the gas punchy climbs and nothing, total silence, ahhhhhhhh

the reason why the bolt was overtight in the 1st place is cuz at the end of last riding season i went around the bike to tighten everything up a bit and must've given that bolt a bit too much muster.

i know this an ellsworth thread, but a creak is a creak, good luck with yers.

rog

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog
    there's nothing worse than a new bike that creaks, or any bike for that matter. i've made a living as a bike shop manager/mechanic for 15 years now, and i have nightmares followed by night sweats from some of the creaks i've had to deal with over the years, mostly on my own bikes.

the worst was my 7 year old independent fabrication ti 29er. after years of popping out the chris king headset multiple times a year to clean and regrease the p.o.s, i finally put in a $20.00 cane creek and haven't had a creaking problem since. what caused the creaking? the rubber ring thingy that king puts in ends up drying out in no time and causes creaking that'll drive ya nuts. will NEVER buy another one of those.

latest episode? my beautifully sassy new scott spark carbon developed a creak after the 1st few months of riding. not too bad, but annoying fer sure. the culprit? after MUCH, too much investigation (thank god i had lots of beer on hand), i discovered that the cause was a slightly overtightened (front) rear shock mounting bolt. after pulling the bolt out i cleaned and greased all surfaces, put it back in, tightened her up, hit up my local wall of a hill that always tells you if yer bike is gonna creak and still a creak. pulled the rear bolt, did the same thing, but didn't tighten the bolt quite as much (don't have a propper torque wrench at home) then thought, hmmm, maybe i'll back off on the front bolt just a c-hair. well what do ya know, creak gone! all gone. put her through a hella techy ride tonight with tons of hard on the gas punchy climbs and nothing, total silence, ahhhhhhhh

the reason why the bolt was overtight in the 1st place is cuz at the end of last riding season i went around the bike to tighten everything up a bit and must've given that bolt a bit too much muster.

i know this an ellsworth thread, but a creak is a creak, good luck with yers.

rog
    When I pulled apart the pivots on the moment, I used a torque wrench on the pivot bolts, and torqued them all to about 20 ft/lbs...except for the swingarm/seatstay pivots, which I can't access with a torque wrench...idiotic location for a bolt. I'm considering just getting the whole enduro moment pivot bearing kit and replacing them all if the bottom bracket is eliminated as the culprit. Oi.

LBS Manager
    One more thing to check. Last year we had quite a few new bikes show up with loose air cans on the air shock. They would creak horribly almost mimicking the sound of a cracked frame. Fox must have sent out a bunch like that because they were on a few different brands. Its easy to check and can be tightened by hand. I hope you get to the bottom of this because creaks can drive a person crazy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Hair Boy
    One more thing to check. Last year we had quite a few new bikes show up with loose air cans on the air shock. They would creak horribly almost mimicking the sound of a cracked frame. Fox must have sent out a bunch like that because they were on a few different brands. Its easy to check and can be tightened by hand. I hope you get to the bottom of this because creaks can drive a person crazy.
    It actually does sound like a cracked frame, very similar to the sound when I cracked my black sheep on Porcupine Rim...just about cried after that one. I can't visualize any cracks, and the frame being less than 6 months old and ridden a handful of times lessens my suspicion it's a crack. I'll check the air can too, do I just remove the dhx air and twist the air can?

PS Looks like I'll be needin' to get myself a strong six pack of brew this evening, I have a lot of stuff to check on the bike.

One Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by jlang002
    When I pulled apart the pivots on the moment, I used a torque wrench on the pivot bolts, and torqued them all to about 20 ft/lbs...except for the swingarm/seatstay pivots, which I can't access with a torque wrench...idiotic location for a bolt. I'm considering just getting the whole enduro moment pivot bearing kit and replacing them all if the bottom bracket is eliminated as the culprit. Oi.
    You'll need a blind bearing puller and bearing press kit of some sort. Talk about a pain in the a**. I replaced all of the stock bearing in Feb. with the Enduro kit. They are worth the effort. After 2 years all of the bearings were crap.

Good luck!

Praise Bob
    I managed to replace my bearings without a puller or press kit. I used a hole saw to cut through a 2X4 and used a 12mm socket (I believe it was 12mm) to tap the bearings out and into the hole. I think the larger bearings came out with a 17mm socket. It has been a while, but the point is that you should be able to find a socket that fits snug on the outer race, yet will slide through the bearing seat. A few careful taps with a rubber mallet was all it took.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    So was it the CK bottom bracket?
    I leave the symbols to the symbol minded.
    -George Carlin

Team Trails Edge

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Creaky suspension linkage on Moment

Dear Jlang002,
    I know this is an old thread, but did you ever find the issue or what was causing the creaking on your Moment? I to have a moment with a just a couple of rides on it and it started creaking on my last ride of the season. It's not the cranks, seat or seatpost. It's coming from the main pivot of the "walking beam" at the seatstay and toptube junction.

Not too happy about this as again, it's brand new, with just a few easy rides on it - getting used to the handling and feeling it out. Any advice from yourself or any other Ells. owner that have had this problem would be appreciated.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Moment Creak

I had an brand new Epiphany do the same thing. I sent it back and it was a bearing and the carbon brace that goes across the rocker. Ellsworth sent me a call tag and repaired it. I would give them a call and see what they say.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks snook for the helpful insight and ammunition I'll need to go back to Ells. with.
    I called Ells. this past Thursday after I went out on a quick urban ride... The creaking getting worse. The tech guy's inbox was full and when I got ahold of 1 of reps. taking messages for the tech, and explained the situation he said I should take it to my LBS because what can they do about it over the phone... seriously, he said that. He also told me to "hope for the best"... No I'm not kidding, he said that too.

I didn't receive a call back later that day on Thursday or the following day on Friday from the tech. I have read about Ells. poor customer service on threads such as this over the years but held out hope that I would never have to deal with that side of there company. Well here I am...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bstsprD45 View Post
    Thanks snook for the helpful insight and ammunition I'll need to go back to Ells. with.
    I called Ells. this past Thursday after I went out on a quick urban ride... The creaking getting worse. The tech guy's inbox was full and when I got ahold of 1 of reps. taking messages for the tech, and explained the situation he said I should take it to my LBS because what can they do about it over the phone... seriously, he said that. He also told me to "hope for the best"... No I'm not kidding, he said that too.

I didn't receive a call back later that day on Thursday or the following day on Friday from the tech. I have read about Ells. poor customer service on threads such as this over the years but held out hope that I would never have to deal with that side of there company. Well here I am...
    that sucks man, stay at it. not many people have said the bikes ride poorly, just that the cs can be lacking which you obviously are seeing first hand. hope you get it sorted out. if you bought it at your lbs and they are an ells dealer, lean on them to handle it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast