Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Moment creak

It was a pain to deal with. My bike was gone for three months. The tech/warranty guy never got back to me and never returned a call. I was pissed. Finally I called the main number and asked to speak with Tony Ellsworth. I spoke with the Sales Manager Bryan Mason. I explained what happened and he gave me his cellphone number and he was going to handle it personally. Within thirty minutes my bike was being overnighted to me with some stuff for my troubles. He did not try to sugarcoat the problem, he just said it was their screw-up and apologized. Kind of renewed my faith in Ellsworth by not giving me a bull$$it story. I think their problem is the tech/warranty guy, because everyone else I dealt with was great.

Don't give up and work the dealer angle too. We pay a lot of money for the bikes and should not settle for anything.

Tool
    My 2010 Truth developed a similar annoying creak/clunk. It sounded very much like a crankarm was striking something on it's way by. It turned out to be one of the bearings connecting the seat stays to the chainstays, which I think was caused by play at the suspension bearings closest to the BB.

The CS/SS bearing fell out of the chainstay when I removed the bolt. I cleaned it up and used some Loktite to hold it in until I get a replacement set of bearings to get rid of the play.

This bike has 2500 tough miles on it, including a very muddy race, so I'm not disappointed in the bearing life. Mine appear to be Enduro bearings as they say so on the seals.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

WaveSailr, ****in-eh!!
    Jul 2004
    I just built up a new Ellsworth Moment frame and had the same problem on the very first ride. Actually I have had this same problem with a 1999 Dare and 1998 Truth frame as well.

The issue is the rear drive side chainstay bearing not staying seated in the chainstay. I removed the bearing, added some Loctite green (bearing retaining compound) to the chainstay and bearing, re-installed the bearing, let it set for 24 hours, then ride.

This solved the problem.

The issue is that the bearing floats side to side in the rear chainstay and causes a creaking noise.

Tool
    Yep, it's a bit of an unfortunate design. Perhaps it's a design favoring assembly or something, but it seems to me this problem would not be possible if the bearings pressed in from the inside rather than from the outside.
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

WaveSailr, ****in-eh!!
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalphile View Post
    Yep, it's a bit of an unfortunate design. Perhaps it's a design favoring assembly or something, but it seems to me this problem would not be possible if the bearings pressed in from the inside rather than from the outside.
    It's a goofy setup for sure. However, I love the suspension design and ride. It suits me perfectly. I just wish the bearings would be pressed in a little more securely. Maybe if the ID of the bearing pockets weren't anodized the tolerances could be a little tighter and the bearings could be pressed in a little more securely.

The bearing retainer compound works well and lasts forever. Don't use blue Loctite, it lets go after a few rides.
    Last edited by WaveSailR; 08-28-2012 at 06:34 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2