mtbr member

American Classic 350 disk for truth

Hi all,

I intend to save some weight on my Truth by buying a new set of wheels.

One of the choices is American classic. ( about 1450 gr )
    For the price seems to me an exelent choice.

I need feedback regarding wheelset or eventual other options for these weight.

Thanks
    RM

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

AM classic wheel set for Truth

I've had them on mine for 2 years. They seem great. I don't beat on them, nor do I baby them. I'm 160lbs, don't do drops, but ride hard on long descents, some of which are rocky.

2 caveats: you can't run UST; I'm considering Stan's, but I'm still not sure they're worth the trouble. On the other hand I'm tired of pinch flats and like the grip of low psi.

The other one is I had my rear wheel respoked w/ single gage spokes after it kept breaking the original dbl gage. However, I think this was b/c of a faulty disc (which squealed so badly that I believe it caused undue stress on the entire wheel). A new disc solved the problem. Maybe I should've used the exact same spokes, but LBS didn't have that option in stock. I have no idea who much weight this added, but bike is light.

mtbr member
    Hi grbadave

That kind of review helps a lot.
    I have to buy withwout test it or even seeing.
    I just know they are the lightest for the price and any other similiar will cost at least 30% more that those.

I also checked that Stanīs use the hubs to sell as a complete wheel, so itīs supossed to have some confidance on this hubs.

Iīve read in some posts, that people was having some problems with American Classic Hubs so Iīm just double checkin before a blind buy....

They will save a lot of weight on my truth.

I get for the price of a XTR crank ( 100gr saving ) about 400gr wich is a lot comparing with other possible weight savingīs....

RM

Silver bullet

AC works for me

I was having problems with my rear hubs(free hubs), I'd only get one season at the most from them. I tried several including Mavic SL but all gave me heartburn.
    Two seasons ago I bought some Stans wheelsets with American Classic hubs. I have a set on my Moment with ZTR 355 front and ZTR Arch on the rear and a set of Olympics on my Truth and haven't had an issue with them yet. They're great!!
    Several years ago the AC hubs were somewhat problematic but they've done some redesign and they're what I count on now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

AC wheels

I'm curious, what kind of hub problems? I haven't had any. Bought them new in Jan 06. They have about 750 miles on them.

mtbr member
    Hi grbadave,

Thatīs why Iīme asking.... I canīt test them or even seen them....FRom this forum I was ablle to resume to this:

1- The lightest wheelset for the price.
    2- There was some problems in the past with AC hubs ( as some people said ...)
    3- Riders that use recent models are happy with these wheels and donīt complanin with hub problems
    4- They wil be a hell of a upgrade for my truth...LOL ( best weihgt save for the money )

Insteade of paying the same amont of money to save 100gr on an XTR crankset or whatever, I can save 400gr by changing to this wheels....

It looks so obvious that I was checking if there was something wrong with it...~

I also seen the I9 hubs and some whellset with it but it would be more passion than reason to expend 2x more.

Iīm checking for other sujestions also...

Is there something similar to AC on these range of weight and price?

Silver bullet
    I spoke to someone at a wheelshop and from what I seem to remember the bearings and engagement pawls wore prematurely. Since then they redesigned and added another engagement pawl (I think) and changed to a better bearing.
    I believe they made the changes in 05 or 06. Mine are 06 and are the newer style and have served me very well. I can’t begin to tell you how many miles I have on them. I don’t log that stuff, just ride 2-3 hours about 4 times a week, sometimes more, sometimes less.

mtbr member
    Hi djb55,

Thanks for you input.
    The kind of info tath you post is what I needed to know and 2-3 hours 4 times a week is more than I ride!

Regards
    RM

HIYAH
    Running them on my single speed with no issues...they are light... I did tension them up a bit from the factory as they showed up with some pretty low tension...no issues...great wheels.
    TTHHHHHHHHHPPPPPPPPPTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT