mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Adding life to my days and not days to my life!!!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Just had the first ride...! WOW! i am impressed.

My previous bike is a Cannondale, hard tail, so you could say that going full suspension anything would be better. Oh contraire...

I've been riding my friends 2002/3 truth not sure which on it is... probably obviously to those in the know! But I’m not. For some time (as he was unable to ride) and his return back to the bike – or rather my return back to a hard trail was the stimulus to get a new ride.

The first outing – which after some careful self building up of the frame – and finally that to the ellsworth forum the correct Bottom bracket – I got out on it.
    So what do I think…. Well I have my local trail that I like to hit up, and there are a few knarly sections which I judge different bikes on, mainly because of whether u have to get off the saddle, can it be cleared, how doe the bike handle, its always tackled in the same gear, basically its a kind of geeky thing but defiantly something that I can compare bikes on so I like it. You make your own judgement. Some are up hill and some are downhill

Anyways the cannondale never made it, the 2002/3 truth made it once or twice, the blur made the downhill but not the up, the Id was better downhill, the specialized brain failed miserably and the Turner 5 spot was good down hill but needed the odd foot uphill however the 2006 truth, cleared it everything. I’m only a lightweight 69kg. Maybe it was motivation? But I firmly believe that the slightly adjusted geometry of the 06 truth changes the riding position slightly and as such for my build is perfect just for me.

It’s heading out the alps next week so we’ll see what its like when altitude is a factor…

Hit me with any questions thanks to sparst and to osokolo for the bottom bracket help….

Also thanks to the LBS for being a superstar with the frame!!!

Full set up of the is below

FrameEllsworth Truth 16" (Red Velvet)
    Fork ShockRock Shox SID Team Dual Air
    Rear ShockRock Shox 3.3
    HeadsetChris King (Silver)
    Rims/WheelsMavic XC717 Disc (Black)
    Front HubHope XC (Silver)
    Rear Hub Hope XC (Silver)
    Quick releases (Fr) Hope Titanium (Black)
    Quick releases (Re) Hope Titanium (Black)
    Quick releases (S) Standard Ellsworth
    Tires Panaracer Fire XC pro (Kevlar folding)
    Bottom Bracket RaceFace Taperlock
    Crankset RaceFace Next LP (Black/carbon)
    Chain Dura-ace
    Front Derailleur XT
    Rear Derailleur XTR Rapid Rise
    Rear cogs XTR 11-32
    Shifters XTR
    Cables XTR set
    Handlebars Monkeylite CNT low-rise
    Grips Salsa
    Stem Old one off cannondale will be changed in due course
    Break leavers Hope M4 (Braided hose)
    Brakes (Front) Hope M4 200mm (Floating)
    Brakes (Rear) Hope M4 180mm
    Pedals DMR V12
    Saddle Sella Italia carbon
    Seat Post Thompson (Silver)

P.s. Don't know how to do the pics so hope they work out!

sock puppet

nice scooter bud...

great build as well...

now you have to lose platform pedals and go with Time Atac or Eggbeaters or whatever Shimano makes that compares to these two...

platform pedals dont fit the truth... my recommendation is Time Atac Carbon XS - they got enough platform, great mud shedding ability and are much lighter than any platform pedals...

enjoy your experience with the Truth... it is a great bike...

Quote Originally Posted by diamondo
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

My previous bike is a Cannondale, hard tail, so you could say that going full suspension anything would be better. Oh contraire...

I've been riding my friends 2002/3 truth not sure which on it is... probably obviously to those in the know! But I’m not. For some time (as he was unable to ride) and his return back to the bike – or rather my return back to a hard trail was the stimulus to get a new ride.

The first outing – which after some careful self building up of the frame – and finally that to the ellsworth forum the correct Bottom bracket – I got out on it.
    So what do I think…. Well I have my local trail that I like to hit up, and there are a few knarly sections which I judge different bikes on, mainly because of whether u have to get off the saddle, can it be cleared, how doe the bike handle, its always tackled in the same gear, basically its a kind of geeky thing but defiantly something that I can compare bikes on so I like it. You make your own judgement. Some are up hill and some are downhill

Anyways the cannondale never made it, the 2002/3 truth made it once or twice, the blur made the downhill but not the up, the Id was better downhill, the specialized brain failed miserably and the Turner 5 spot was good down hill but needed the odd foot uphill however the 2006 truth, cleared it everything. I’m only a lightweight 69kg. Maybe it was motivation? But I firmly believe that the slightly adjusted geometry of the 06 truth changes the riding position slightly and as such for my build is perfect just for me.

It’s heading out the alps next week so we’ll see what its like when altitude is a factor…

Hit me with any questions thanks to sparst and to osokolo for the bottom bracket help….

Also thanks to the LBS for being a superstar with the frame!!!

Full set up of the is below

FrameEllsworth Truth 16" (Red Velvet)
    Fork ShockRock Shox SID Team Dual Air
    Rear ShockRock Shox 3.3
    HeadsetChris King (Silver)
    Rims/WheelsMavic XC717 Disc (Black)
    Front HubHope XC (Silver)
    Rear Hub Hope XC (Silver)
    Quick releases (Fr) Hope Titanium (Black)
    Quick releases (Re) Hope Titanium (Black)
    Quick releases (S) Standard Ellsworth
    Tires Panaracer Fire XC pro (Kevlar folding)
    Bottom Bracket RaceFace Taperlock
    Crankset RaceFace Next LP (Black/carbon)
    Chain Dura-ace
    Front Derailleur XT
    Rear Derailleur XTR Rapid Rise
    Rear cogs XTR 11-32
    Shifters XTR
    Cables XTR set
    Handlebars Monkeylite CNT low-rise
    Grips Salsa
    Stem Old one off cannondale will be changed in due course
    Break leavers Hope M4 (Braided hose)
    Brakes (Front) Hope M4 200mm (Floating)
    Brakes (Rear) Hope M4 180mm
    Pedals DMR V12
    Saddle Sella Italia carbon
    Seat Post Thompson (Silver)

P.s. Don't know how to do the pics so hope they work out!

Time is not a road.
    I love the red. In an Ellsworth world of blue, black and grey, the reds and greens really stand out (well, and the Smoke, too!).

Have fun!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Thing is with the platforms thou is that when I've had to bail from the bike in the past i tend to be able to lay the bike down with little to no damage... Its something special that i like to put down to Karma - look after the bike and it looks after me.... However the time that i did us clip in pedals resulted in a broken rib and an almost punctured lung... so for now, sorry i'm sticking with the flats! haha

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Nice build!!!!

The only things I would change on that build are the skewers. Ti skewers flex and it's a bad place to save weight, especially if you're running oversized rotors. Good old steel QRs are much stronger and safer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

nice...

Great lookin ride!!!!!

GNC
    Over the Bars & Smiling
    Jan 2006
    Looks great! The red is fantastic. Enjoy!

GNC

Custom User Title

The colors

I wish I that ano job would have been available for my Moment.
    Team MOJO Wheels.

Unchained Freewheel
    Quote Originally Posted by diamondo
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Best looking Truth build I have seen thus far on the forums and it looks like allot of love went into it as well,I hope you enjoy it and that it gets more then regular use out on the trails ! Now give us a few action shots !
    The Trail Never Ends.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Obviously you are not a freerider/hard rider. I cannot lament your choice for ride or frame. For intended use you are the example for the genre.

But if there were a larger drop or more meaty DH section I ask you; what would you do? Would you walk it, try it, or bypass it. And why? Is it due to you or the bike. I would like to know. I have no qualms with anyone chosing the bike they need. But if someone is misinformed, or misled, I would rather face the ridicule rather than someone ride a bike they are not up to ride.

sock puppet

face the ridicule???

Quote Originally Posted by blackfly
    Obviously you are not a freerider/hard rider. I cannot lament your choice for ride or frame. For intended use you are the example for the genre.

But if there were a larger drop or more meaty DH section I ask you; what would you do? Would you walk it, try it, or bypass it. And why? Is it due to you or the bike. I would like to know. I have no qualms with anyone chosing the bike they need. But if someone is misinformed, or misled, I would rather face the ridicule rather than someone ride a bike they are not up to ride.
    you do it every time you post something around here...

i guess, you are walking your rig through tight switchback singletrack, as it is not intended for XC, no?

can you not just let us enjoy our bikes as we wish to you too???

why are you posting this nonsense?

insecure with your own bike?

http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1139502023

Rolling
    http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1139502023[/quote]

Awesome climbing machine!

Unchained Freewheel
    Awesome climbing machine![/QUOTE]

I had a few box turtles back in the 80's as pets that could climb rough,rock strewn terrain faster then that black slug.
    The Trail Never Ends.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfly

Ok, i'll take u on....

First of all, Yes i am more XC orientated. However the reward for the uphill is the downhill!!!! SO to answer part a of your question, it would depend on the size of the drop - well that's a simple answer, if I had a choice i'd probably bottle it... nothing to do with the bike, everything to do with my injury prone self! Having folded my left knee the wrong direction about 8years ago i cannot endure antoher 9months of will I be able to ride a bike again... followed by 12months of physio. However this was not done on the bike - football injury... and 18months ago my MCL tear put me out another 9months.... However, having said that sometimes choice is out of the question, peer pressure is a wonderful thing, as is the benfit of hindsight. So yes, if i was heading to a 3ft drop, if I could bypass and maintain speed and not loose to much of the "Racing line" I probably would, but if my friend (and sworn enemy whilst racing down the hill) was next to me and going for it... the answer is i'll bend the knees, bend the arms & pick the landing!!!... (3ft would be my limit - i'd even have my issues on a DH rig)

As for the meaty DH sections, absolutly no way would I avoid it, I never avioded them on my hardtail and I don't intend to do it on the new rig. A bike is for riding, speed is in the lines you pick down the hilll. It's just the large drops that get me....

hows that....?
    Last edited by diamondo; 06-22-2006 at 08:27 AM.