mtbr member
    Jun 2004

about to buy a 02 dare

what should i be concerned about ? should i repalce the bearnings ? i want the bike to be more setup for DH then freeride...should i run the 24" wheel instead of a 26 ? thanks for the help guys

Are you talking to me?

Hold off.

Quote Originally Posted by snutty
    what should i be concerned about ? should i repalce the bearnings ? i want the bike to be more setup for DH then freeride...should i run the 24" wheel instead of a 26 ? thanks for the help guys
    Prior to pulling the trigger on the 02 dare, do a search for Ellsworth warranty threads. I am not trying to scare you, only educate you. If I were looking at a dare, I would pony up for a new one.
    gfy

not so super...

Ignore Damion

Quote Originally Posted by damion
    Prior to pulling the trigger on the 02 dare, do a search for Ellsworth warranty threads. I am not trying to scare you, only educate you. If I were looking at a dare, I would pony up for a new one.
    What in the world does warranty have to do with buying a used Dare. The warranty is not transferrable on used bikes nor are there any horror stories about the Dare.

If you like the Dare then by all means get it. While the 2004 model is sweet and a little more DH oriented the 02 will work. The only thing I would be worried about when buying a used bike that was made to be hucked is if it had been hucked and by whom!

Let's see some pics when you get it.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

Quote Originally Posted by snutty
    Whenever you buy used bikes, always check for close up pictures of the chainstays, the frame (especially at the joint where the seatpost and top tube connect - high stress area for DH/FR bikes). Stay away from frames that have dents or bent parts - the strength & integrity of the frame is compromised, even people claim that it doesn't. The reason that it is a red flag is because you have no idea what hit it in the first place. It could very well be their pet rock fell from 10 feet high and hit the frame; some brightly colored bird swooped down and slammed on the side of the frame; or whatever story they may have in their back pocket. It doesn't matter, but that is entirely up to you.

For DH or FR, think about the type of riding that is interesting. Does flying down ski resort mtns appeal to you? If yeah, then you are geared toward DHing. The ability to climb & conquer 1000' climb up a hill and then bomb down the trial appeal to you? Then you might want to consider a FR setup.

My two cents: I would buy frames from a trusted source like Ebay, local ads (mtbr classifieds, local newspaper), or per bike buddies so that you know that you are getting a good frame.

Good luck!
    Mudman04
    For Sale: 1999 Giant ATX DS and 1996 Schwinn S.96 frames

The link to my ebay items listed for sale can be seen below.
    http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=cali4ni abiker&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50