mtbr member
    Jul 2006

90-130mm Float on a Truth?

Ellsworth recommends 80-105mm fork. What would be the downfall of doing a fox float 90-130mm?

luvsingletrack

The downfall is

you void any and all warranty if you have frame problems. On the upside..it makes for one sweet, sweet ride. Not that I have a 130mm fork on my Truth

Time is not a road.
    You could find that at 130mm your handing could be adversly affected. I ran an Isis with a 130mm Z1 and it washed out in hard corners. It was great for descending and it climbed fine, but it lost it's maneuverabilty. I ended up running a Marathon 120 and that solved my problems. However, I like the extra BB height that I got with a fork that was taller in the front than what was recommended. I live in an area where there are lots of rocks, so a higher BB is preferable.

johno
    May 2006

Only last week I tried a TALAS 85 - 125

I wanted to find out the answer this question also, since I'd been running a F100RLC.
    I swapped the Fox TALAS off my Blizzard to see what it felt like.
    I actually ran the fork travel somewhere between 115 & 120mm.
    1st thing - I noticed was the bike felt very elevated. The Truth has a high BB already (compared to other bikes I've owned).
    2nd thing - the rear end easily matched the extended travel up front. Jumping log raps on the trail resulted in a very smooth landing. In comparison, the F100RLC would ramp up much quicker.
    3rd thing - the bike did not loose any of its cornering ability and did not wash out in the very dry dusty conditions here in drought stricken Oz at the moment.
    4th thing - climbing did not seem to be affected too much. Use more body english to get over the cranks.
    5th thing - small bump response on the F100RLC is much better than the older TALAS.
    This testing was done in a club race, so these mental notes were being taken under physical duress (if you know what I mean).
    In the end I put the F100RLC back on because I felt the designer got it right (pedal position, bb height, head/seat angle etc).
    Besides, the TALAS is more at home on the Blizard set @ 110mm