mtbr member
    Oct 2006

8" Brake Recommendations

Hello,

After much annoyance, I've decided it's time to try another set of brakes. I've had these Avid Juicy 7's for 5-6 months now and I've had it. They squeak and fade worse than any set I've ever owned. I'd like to stay light and keep 8" rotors if at all possible. What would you recommend? Is there an adjustment I'm missing with my Avid's? The pads look good and they don't seem to be out of alignment. Argh!

- Derik

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I can't see past the Hope Mono M4's.

I have these on two of my bikes and I've never had a problem. Some people complain of squealing but I've never experienced this.

Plus, they come in all sorts of colours for that extra Bling factor!

Time is not a road.
    There's a lot of discussion on the brake boards about the Juicy's. You could have contaminated pads or an older rotor design. I've only tested the Avids for a short time, but they seemed to be good brakes.

That said, I run Hopes too. I do get some squeak out of them, so I keep them clean and that helps a lot. Changing rotors to a different design helped too. The Hopes offer good power. The set up I run is a 180mm front, 160mm rear. They came standard this way, no adapters necessary. By running a brand that matches your fork's mounts, you could save a few grams (IS instead of Post), just be sure to get the fork faced, along with your frame.

"Its All Good"
    I swear by Magura brakes. Have never had any issues with them (touch wood) great modulation etc........... The Formular brakes are gettign great raps as well..................
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

8" Brake Recommendations

Thanks for the responses! I have an 06 Moment with an 07 Fox Talas RC2. Sounds like the Hope's might be a good option for me. I wonder if there is a weight difference? I'll have to check them out. I was also curious about the Marta SL and Formula brakes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    If I went with the Hope M4, would I need anything special to get it to work with my Moment and Fox 36 Talas RC2? I saw something about floating disc? What mount would I need?