Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

650b epiphany what changes?

What changes did ells make to create the 650b epi? The main frame looks identical , I doubt they changed anything there for economy of scale on production. The bb height is unchanged though so something must have been done to keep it lfrom raising. Is it just in the seat stay ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    hello

blue 27.5 / nikel 26
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 650b epiphany what changes?-2013-ellsworth-epiphany-650b-mountain-bike03.jpg  

650b epiphany what changes?-2013-ellsworth-epiphany-650b-mountain-bike07.jpg  

LBS Manager
    Based on what they told me The front triangle is an Evolve and the rear is new

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Looks like they have a wider bearing mount at the front and wider chain stays , are they longer and swept upwards too? That would explain the bb being in the same plane.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    The main frame is different now is hidroformed instead of Cold worked, and the water mount is underneat of the down tube

mtbr member
    What about the seat tube? already 30.9 for a seat post dropper ..?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Hair Boy View Post
    Based on what they told me The front triangle is an Evolve and the rear is new
    Hm, I wonder if I could put that new rear on my old (SST1?) Epiphany?

Then I could fit 650b tires on the rear.

LBS Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by geardoc View Post
    Hm, I wonder if I could put that new rear on my old (SST1?) Epiphany?

Then I could fit 650b tires on the rear.
    Your sst 1 frame should fit 650 b wheels as it is now. I have converted 5 of them without problem.

mtbr member
    Your sst 1 frame should fit 650 b wheels as it is now. I have converted 5 of them without problem.
    What did you have to do to get them to fit?

I've tried a the Velocity Blunt 650b wheel with the smallest tire I could fine (Fire XC Pro) and it would only fit if the tire pressure was very low. Above 20psi the tire rubs against the top part of rear triangle.

I just figured out that I probably have a pre-SST1 frame. Its a 2008 Epiphany.
    Last edited by geardoc; 11-03-2012 at 08:48 AM.

LBS Manager
    Your are correct you have a pre sst frame. That frame will not fit 650 b. If you go with the new 650 B specific rear triangle you will need the whole thing, rocker, chain and seat stays but that might cost almost as much as a new frame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

26" Epi to 650b

Have you been satisfied with the results? How does it compare to the 26" setup? When I first heard about the 650b, I was keen. But when I read Ells' description I think it's too much bike for me. I ride a Truth now. Which I intend to replace soon, probably w/ Epi.

I wanna ride.
    @Johnny, I have an SST 1 moment, have you tried to 650b these?

LBS Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by grbadave View Post
    Have you been satisfied with the results? How does it compare to the 26" setup? When I first heard about the 650b, I was keen. But when I read Ells' description I think it's too much bike for me. I ride a Truth now. Which I intend to replace soon, probably w/ Epi.
    I rode the bike with 650 wheels and did find it alot better. The bike felt faster more stable and there was no negative impact handling. I did find the bb got a little high but I always thought the Epiphany was to much travel for me so I lowered the bb and travel. I put a shorter eye to eye and stroke shock on there and bike was absolutely awesome. I wish they would do the truth in a 650 because I think 100 mm of travel is perfect. If you prefer the the racy feel of the truth I would consider the evolve or evolve carbon. The entire bike industry is missing the mark with 650 this year. They seem to think that it only belongs on long travel bikes. I think as soon as they start putting out 4 inch travel xc race bikes we will see a big shift. My new bike is a 29er but I will see what is offered in 2014.

LBS Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by anole View Post
    @Johnny, I have an SST 1 moment, have you tried to 650b these?
    It depends on what chain stay you have. I have tried to convert a few and only one of them had a chain stay that would fit. I think it might have had an xc chain stay instead of the am one. I cant say for sure because the bike was not purchased from us. The AM chain stay that comes stock on the Moment will not clear any tire that I know of.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

follow up re Epi 650

Thanks for the ideas. I'm guessing you've considered converting Truth to 650b, but it's not possible?

LBS Manager
    You would need to change the entire rear end and probably the fork travel to 5+ inches. I am afraid with all the differences it would end up to much of a frankenbike.

Ologist
    So a 2010 SST will accept 650b wheels as it is now?

LBS Manager
    post a pic of your frame that shows the rocker and the chain stay brace near the bb and I will tell you. They made some on the fly changes to the chain stay and I can not remember what year they did it. If I see the pics I should be able to tell you .

Ologist
    This is an SST 1 with the first asymmetric chain stay (replaced on my 2004 ID in 2007/8 when there was that failure issue). Those are Racing Ralphs 2.25. It looks like anther .75" would be tight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 650b epiphany what changes?-epi_1.jpg  

650b epiphany what changes?-epi_2.jpg  

650b epiphany what changes?-epi_3.jpg  

LBS Manager
    I have converted many bikes with that stay and none gave me any problems. You should be fine .

Ologist
    Thanks, I think I have a new project. Ellsworth said changing the chain stay or going 650B would void the warranty.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Is a 650 fork needed to convert the Epiphany SST1 to 650? Or just a new wheelset/tires?

Ologist
    Should be just the wheels and tires. The fork should have plenty of room. I haven't done mine yet but it is the to-do list
    2007 Ti Fatback
    2010 Ellsworth Epiphany

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Valhalla, did you end up trying 650b on the Epiphany? How'd you like it, how tall are you and what size frame do you have?

I have a large 2010 and my try this.
    2013 Cannondale F29 Carbon 2
    2010 Ellsworth Epiphany, Fox 32 Talas 140 FIT RLC and Float R

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Johnny, what shorter shock did you use, like what measurements do you suggest? Thanks

I rode the bike with 650 wheels and did find it alot better. The bike felt faster more stable and there was no negative impact handling. I did find the bb got a little high but I always thought the Epiphany was to much travel for me so I lowered the bb and travel. I put a shorter eye to eye and stroke shock on there and bike was absolutely awesome. I wish they would do the truth in a 650 because I think 100 mm of travel is perfect. If you prefer the the racy feel of the truth I would consider the evolve or evolve carbon. The entire bike industry is missing the mark with 650 this year. They seem to think that it only belongs on long travel bikes. I think as soon as they start putting out 4 inch travel xc race bikes we will see a big shift. My new bike is a 29er but I will see what is offered in 2014.
    2013 Cannondale F29 Carbon 2
    2010 Ellsworth Epiphany, Fox 32 Talas 140 FIT RLC and Float R

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast