Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    771

    26 to 28lb Moment

    I watched the video on the virtual trade booth and TE says on it the moment can be built up as a 26 to 28lb bike.

    My instant reaction was "no way" and "why does TE say these things"

    So then I started to think about it.

    A moment with its shock is somehwere in the region of 7lb. A fox 36 talas 5lb
    bars stem seatpin saddle about 2lb for light stuff. so far we are up to 14lb

    the new xtr trail adds up to just under 11lb including wheels and 180 rotors (race stuff is lighter)

    So thats 25lb

    Tyres about 3lb for sensible width tubeless

    28lb!!!!

    So in theory it could be done. in reality? mine weighs 33lb!!!

    Anyone get theirs into the 26 to 28lb region??
    Last edited by Nsynk; 10-15-2010 at 01:38 PM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: toHELLuRIDE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    554
    You should watch the Dare segment. He mentions using it as a trail bike.
    Though I like Ellsworth bikes. I don't think Tony knows what the hell he's talking about.
    Bad rep!!! That's right SON!!

  3. #3
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,011
    It's doable
    I set up my Moment with Duc32, I9 wheel, Kendas 2.35", Amp adjustable seatpost, XT components, SLX 2x cranks. Carbon bar. 30.73lbs

    If I swap out DHX-A to RP23, get Nobby Nic/Rocket Ron 2.25, carbon post, XTR's or Sram XO gripshift. Yeah, it would be 26lbs. My fork only weight 3.5lbs
    03/20/2010
    03/18/2010

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    302
    My 2006 Med is 29 lb with Fox 32 Fork and RP23 shock, light BWW wheelset, 8 speed XTR cranks, shifters etc and 8 year old Hope Mini brakes.

    So, yes, it could be lighter. Would need to change pedals and tires could probably see 28, maybe less if I were to change to RI brakes.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3

    Moment for Setup for Endurance racing

    So I could race my 2006 Moment in Endurance races I dropped it down to 28 pounds. I suffered a little bit of durability but it sure was fun to ride in the High Cascades 100. Things that I used that made a big difference were a Magura Thor Fork, Formula Rx brakes, Fox RP23, 2ti Eggbeaters, and Stans Crest rims with 240 hubs. During the race I also ran a Nevegal 2.35 up front and a Specialized Captain 2.2 in the rear which are not the lightest tires on the block but the bike was still right at the 28 mark. It is definitely doable and makes for a really fun trail bike.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    65
    As I've noted in my Big Wheel Moment thread, my 69'r Moment currently weighs in at 26.5 pounds. In the past I've built up Moments with Fox 130 and 140 forks and American Classic Wheels w/Schwalbes, that weighed in at 27 pounds (They weren't inexpensive). With the right mix of components and a healthy budget, getting the weight under or at 28 pounds isn't difficult, and 26+ pounds isn't out of reach. The few short travel Moments I've done - Fox Float 120 forks and American Classic wheels, again with Schwalbe Ralphs or Nics and a mix of light weight components weighed in the 26 pound range (One for a diminutive but very fast female rider weighed 25 pounds) And they have proved to be very reliable and all are a blast to ride!

  7. #7
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,011
    Quote Originally Posted by gruppo
    As I've noted in my Big Wheel Moment thread, my 69'r Moment currently weighs in at 26.5 pounds. In the past I've built up Moments with Fox 130 and 140 forks and American Classic Wheels w/Schwalbes, that weighed in at 27 pounds (They weren't inexpensive). With the right mix of components and a healthy budget, getting the weight under or at 28 pounds isn't difficult, and 26+ pounds isn't out of reach. The few short travel Moments I've done - Fox Float 120 forks and American Classic wheels, again with Schwalbe Ralphs or Nics and a mix of light weight components weighed in the 26 pound range (One for a diminutive but very fast female rider weighed 25 pounds) And they have proved to be very reliable and all are a blast to ride!

    25lbs Moment
    Love it. I've put a fox 130 on my Moment for a brief period, but didn't stick with it. I prefer slacker HA. So back to beefing up the Moment again Moment with 160mm Wotan didn't shy away from tight switchback or twisty singletrack at all, so I didn't miss it that much.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    760
    You could build one to that but then is it really an AM bike at that point? More of like a long travel XC race bike so why not just get an Epiphany?

    I am sure you could build several AM style bikes to 27lbs but you would not want to ride them the same way as your 32 Moment!
    I like to ride Bikes. This might be turning into an obsession, not sure?

    www.cyclng.com

  9. #9
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,011
    Quote Originally Posted by jjcools
    You could build one to that but then is it really an AM bike at that point? More of like a long travel XC race bike so why not just get an Epiphany?

    I am sure you could build several AM style bikes to 27lbs but you would not want to ride them the same way as your 32 Moment!
    Great point. I prefer 30ish Moment over a lighter one. If I wanted a lighter XCish bike Truth would have been my choice.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    771
    As a general statement it is always the aim to build the lightest bike that is capable of doing the job. However the point here is that it was stated it is possible and I just wondered if it really was.

    As for just choosing a lighter lesser travel frame, geometry is always the most important thing on a bike, not travel, not weight. So yes you could build up a truth light or even add strong parts to it but why would you want to when the geometry would not suit the riding you intend to use it for.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    771
    looking at the above it would seem the key weight saving is always the fork.

    I would say wheels too but I am running mavic crossmax st and there is no way I would run something lighter. Only an xc race wheel would be lighter and it would be too weak.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    771
    Right so I was out on my Moment yesterday and feeling a bit unfit after the holidays, so I made up my mind to lose 5 or 6lbs off the bike (and myself as well !) so my bike weighs 33lb at the moment. I could switch to a fox 36 float, the 2011 being just 4.5lb, thats 1.1/4lb lighter than my 09 Talas I think. If I upgrade my groupset (its nearly worn out anyway) to 2x 10 XX I could save around a pound. More if I go 1 x 10 and lose the DRS for an LG1+ and if I downsize my brakes to ones with 180 rotors I could save another 1/4lb. Finally a lighter dropper seatpost 1/2lb

    so 1..25 + 1 + .25 + .5 = 3lb saved

    So I can get my bike to the 30lb mark but where could I lose another 2 or 3lb?

    Here is my spec for you to make suggestions :-

    Frame Moment
    Shock DHX air
    Gears xtr rear mech slx front mech slx shifters xt crank xt cassette chain SRAM PC9
    E 13 DRS chain device
    Brakes Hope tech V2 203mm
    seatpin RASE Black Mamba
    Stem Thompson Elite 50mm
    Bar Easton Carbon DH 710mm
    Saddle WTB rocket V stealth
    Tires Maxxis High Roller LUST 2.35 (tubeless with Stans sealent)
    Pedals DMR V8
    Grips ODI Ruffian
    Wheels Mavic Crossmax ST
    seatpin binder Hope
    Rear skewer Mavic
    all bolts original fit.

    Have fun making suggestions

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: toHELLuRIDE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    554
    An RP23 would shed about 1/2 pound.
    XTR cranks would also shed more weight.
    Those high rollers in tubless are not light. Probably could lose up to a pound with a different tire.
    Get rid of the dropper post and use a Thomson masterpiece. That would easily be over a pound.
    A different Lighter saddle could drop some weight.

    Basically, how much money you willing spend?
    Bad rep!!! That's right SON!!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    771
    1/2 lb with a rp23 is a good option. I was thinking of fitting a kcnc k2 crank with a 34 tooth ring or maybe the same cranks but with 26 36. kcnc k2's are a similar stiffness to xt but lighter than xtr and a lot cheaper.

    highrollers are 750g each so about 3.3lb the pair. certainly lighter options

    I like my dropper post but I do have a Thomson I use when I don't feel I need it. I was thinking of a grsvity dropper with an ibeam mount and ab sdg saddle. That would save almost a pound and in a good place too.

    Thanks for the suggestions

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    760
    You lose the weight first!
    You could go with the m4s or another brake that is lighter and still have plenty of power.

    I don't know the weight of those wheels but there might be something new out there that is strong and light.

    Also, go with the rp2 with the larger volume can instead of the dhx air.

    I don't know, just some thoughts, you don't want to turn it into a weaker build to save weight so it sounds like you are on the right track.
    I like to ride Bikes. This might be turning into an obsession, not sure?

    www.cyclng.com

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3
    I agree with the lighter tires. There are some great tires out there that are much lighter. I saw that somebody said they weigh around 750g, when I looked them up it said 890g. If that is true then you could easily lose 1/2 pound or more. The wheel set is already pretty light so unless your willing to drop a lot of coin I don't think you will get much there.
    Ditto on the rp23. What about going 1x9 and not getting a whole new drive train?

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    771
    I am liking the tires idea. Any suggestions?

    1x9 is good but the drive train is nearing the end of its life so I have to buy soon anyway

  18. #18
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,011
    Quote Originally Posted by Nsynk
    Right so I was out on my Moment yesterday and feeling a bit unfit after the holidays, so I made up my mind to lose 5 or 6lbs off the bike (and myself as well !) so my bike weighs 33lb at the moment. I could switch to a fox 36 float, the 2011 being just 4.5lb, thats 1.1/4lb lighter than my 09 Talas I think. If I upgrade my groupset (its nearly worn out anyway) to 2x 10 XX I could save around a pound. More if I go 1 x 10 and lose the DRS for an LG1+ and if I downsize my brakes to ones with 180 rotors I could save another 1/4lb. Finally a lighter dropper seatpost 1/2lb

    so 1..25 + 1 + .25 + .5 = 3lb saved

    So I can get my bike to the 30lb mark but where could I lose another 2 or 3lb?

    Here is my spec for you to make suggestions :-

    Frame Moment
    Shock DHX air
    Gears xtr rear mech slx front mech slx shifters xt crank xt cassette chain SRAM PC9
    E 13 DRS chain device
    Brakes Hope tech V2 203mm
    seatpin RASE Black Mamba it's not light 600g+
    Stem Thompson Elite 50mm
    Bar Easton Carbon DH 710mm
    Saddle WTB rocket V stealth
    Tires Maxxis High Roller LUST 2.35 (tubeless with Stans sealent) going with Rocket Ron it's 530g for 2.4
    Pedals DMR V8
    Grips ODI Ruffian
    Wheels Mavic Crossmax ST 1620g pretty light already
    seatpin binder Hope
    Rear skewer Mavic
    all bolts original fit.

    Have fun making suggestions

    My Twenty6 platform pedal is 290g actual VS most platform pedal at 530g+

    You can knock 1/2 lb switching shock to RP23, sent it to Pushed it's almost the same as DHX-A, almost. I tried it on my Ibis Mojo, Pushed Rp23 is just as awesome. If you consider changing the shock you may need to consider the option anyways as shock nowadays are custom valve to specific bike and design.

    If you are not doing very loose, rocky terrain the Schwalbe Rock Ron is very light and grippy. It's 530g a piece so for the pair you'd loose almost 1lb already.

    Brake, if you consider Formula The One it's about 420g f/r not including rotor, VS what you have.

    As for the adj seatpost, there's a new kid in town, now for 27.2mm you can get Hydro post. KS i7r, it's 553g actual weight 4" drop which should be plenty for the moment, as I doubt that you can drop 9" on the Mamba.

    That's more than 2lbs already. I don't see other option that would be useful saddle, bars, and smaller stuff would ended up costing you a lot with little weight loss.


    Prerunner ti spindle.


    This is a cromo version of the Prerunner version I got this one as a demo from Twenty6 with new bearing instead of bushing, it weight about the same as the Shimano 520


  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    771
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885
    My Twenty6 platform pedal is 290g actual VS most platform pedal at 530g+

    You can knock 1/2 lb switching shock to RP23, sent it to Pushed it's almost the same as DHX-A, almost. I tried it on my Ibis Mojo, Pushed Rp23 is just as awesome. If you consider changing the shock you may need to consider the option anyways as shock nowadays are custom valve to specific bike and design.

    If you are not doing very loose, rocky terrain the Schwalbe Rock Ron is very light and grippy. It's 530g a piece so for the pair you'd loose almost 1lb already.

    Brake, if you consider Formula The One it's about 420g f/r not including rotor, VS what you have.

    As for the adj seatpost, there's a new kid in town, now for 27.2mm you can get Hydro post. KS i7r, it's 553g actual weight 4" drop which should be plenty for the moment, as I doubt that you can drop 9" on the Mamba.

    That's more than 2lbs already. I don't see other option that would be useful saddle, bars, and smaller stuff would ended up costing you a lot with little weight loss.


    Prerunner ti spindle.


    This is a cromo version of the Prerunner version I got this one as a demo from Twenty6 with new bearing instead of bushing, it weight about the same as the Shimano 520


    Tyres do seem a good place to lose a lb. I want something fast rolling and grippy like the maxxis but around 530g would be a good target. I live in Northern England so rocky decscents are the norm but it would also see a lot of man made trails which are smoother (google Lee Quarry or Stainburn they are my nearest trail centres).

    Those pedals look sweet. How wide is the platform. I find my V8's too small for my size 12US (UK 10.5) 5.10's so was looking for something new, I like the look of the Vault with a ti axle which is just over 300g.

    I like that post but I need layback which is why I went for the RASE in the first place. The 9 inch drop is rarely needed (occasionally very useful though) about 5 would be perfect. I am looking at the Gravity Dropper with an Ibeam mount and saddle. It is the lightest dropper post set up available.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    771
    Just been on the Shwalbe website. it says the 2.4's are tubeless ready not ust and might not fit ust rims. Anyone know if they would fit tuebless with my Mavic crossmax st's? the UST ones are 2.25 and 690g.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    85
    you want great riding performance tires that are light?

    try the Specialized Control (2-bliss tubeless ready) Purgatory on the front and Eskar on the rear for rougher terrain or Captain 2.2 on the rear for smoother terrain

    run both tires setup with Stan's No-tubes conversion and you will save weight whilst improving tire performance (tire traction increases) and no pinch flats to speak of

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    440
    ENVE AM Wheelset?

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    771
    Quote Originally Posted by hampstead bandit
    you want great riding performance tires that are light?

    try the Specialized Control (2-bliss tubeless ready) Purgatory on the front and Eskar on the rear for rougher terrain or Captain 2.2 on the rear for smoother terrain

    run both tires setup with Stan's No-tubes conversion and you will save weight whilst improving tire performance (tire traction increases) and no pinch flats to speak of
    I usually use some stans liquid in the tire even with UST tyres, so could I just do the same with the Spesh 2bliss system with my crossmax wheels? Ie no rim tape?

    I've been talking to Jim about buying an sst2 frame and speccing some new parts and using some of my exisiting parts so I would be buying them from Freeborn anyway.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    105
    Got my wifes small moment to just over 27lbs (with pedals). I did swap out the DHX for a float R (215gms) huge weight savings there. She has a fox 32 Vanilla on the front and some XTR goods with carbon parts, crossmax ST wheels and specialized Roll X tires. Could even go on a bit of a diet with some stans and a Float up front, but she loves it the way it is. I have my old ID down to 26.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •