mtbr member

2012 Evolution Chainstay failure?

Anyone else have there chanstay completly snap off on the non driveline side? I had to pony up $480 to replace with a newly designed one as Im the 2nd owner of the bike thats less than a year old and the warranty doesnt cover me. So to my point has anyone else had a failure? Im attaching a pic.

Terry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 Evolution Chainstay failure?-20130421_141734.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I had one break last year. Just curious, did you check the bearings to see if they spin free?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by morpheus1029 View Post
    I had one break last year. Just curious, did you check the bearings to see if they spin free?
    yes I had actually cleanes and relubed them per the tech info on there site. I did that about a month ago and they asked me to send the part back. l will say the new one is substatially stiffer and larger.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Interesting, I didnt have to send mine back and my replacement was identical to the one that broke.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    oh no, this scares me. I have a long history of snapping frames, I was hoping this one would be different. When I get home from work i'm going to take my entire bike apart, inspect it, clean the frame and relube everything.. I'm freaked out now!
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD Special Blend with dropper post, hope/stans wheelset and hope x2/m4 brakes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodyRoots View Post
    oh no, this scares me. I have a long history of snapping frames, I was hoping this one would be different. When I get home from work i'm going to take my entire bike apart, inspect it, clean the frame and relube everything.. I'm freaked out now!
    Theres good tech info on there site if you havent seen it. in short you can remove the bearing seal very carefully with a pick and clean it out and relube with the appropriate grease. This is what i did about a month before my failure. I will point out that NONE of the bearings were seized albeit a little bit grittchy...which didnt change much after the cleaning and regreasing. Ill take a pic tonight of the new part as it is vastly different and MUCH stronger.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    did you get the carbon seatstays?
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD Special Blend with dropper post, hope/stans wheelset and hope x2/m4 brakes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodyRoots View Post
    did you get the carbon seatstays?
    No i have the alloy ones. Not sure if that would have any bearing on the failure i saw. I did install the new one and actually rode the Whiskey offroad 25 proof with no issues. If you look at the post about the 650b Epihany. It shows a pic of the chainstay which appears to be similar in design to the one i have now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    ahhh nice, it looks curved there and a little beefier tabs. I still want the carbon seat stay and 142x12 thru axle!!!

I'm wondering if I can convert my evo to a 650b eipiphany based on that other thread...