Thread: 2011's?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

New question here. 2011's?

Has anybody gotten a 2011 yet? I ordered an Evolution just after Interbike and was told late December. Then moved to the end of the year. Donald told me that the Evolutions were the last of the new frames being made and thus the delay. Called last Friday and Dan said they had not received any Evolution frames and were shut down until Jan 3. Just wondering if anybody had gotten any 2011 frame.

mtbr member

frame kits

sorry, my bad! *moved*
    Last edited by bpnic; 12-31-2010 at 06:00 PM.
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I was thinking about purchasing an Evolution. Did you demo it? If so how did it ride compared to the Sultan, Pivot 429, Tracer 29 and Tallboy? I'm currently riding a 429 with a 120 mm fork, but I'm looking for more all mountain with more travel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    No demo, I'm going on Dan and Donald's impressions and Ells reputation. All the people here who have Ells love them. Only 29er I've ridden is my Epic. I really like it but I cracked the rear shock eye doing 1-3' jumps. I'm looking for something that is XC fast but can still handle jumps up to 4'.

Ride and Smile suckas
    I have been looking at the same frame and it seems we are all waiting till Monday the 3rd to get the answer from the folks at Ells headquarters.
    "DO OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY" -Yoda
    www.snemba.org

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I talked to Dan last Tuesday. They are having a problem with the new logos. They went from laser etched to heat applied stickers because the laser etcher can't do the contours of the new tubes. They are expecting frames for shipment by the end of next week.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    we had 2011 Moment SST2 a couple of weeks back = fracking sweet!!!

my buddy has a Moment Mk2 and walked into the shop, and his jaw dropped, he now wants the SST2 front triangle!!

the issue with the decals is true, the Moment SST2 I have in my shop has some marking on the decals where they have been damage during application

EW are moving back to lazer etching their graphics, but it will be a smaller scale logo on the downtube as the lazer etching machine has limitations of how much tube radius it can deal with

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'd be happy with the old logo. Thought it was cool. As it turns out, our weather here has been shite so I wouldn't have been able to ride it much if I'd had it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    My shop called Ells today. Word from Donald now is that I will get my bike on Feb. 28. Here's the history: Ordered Evolution in September, the week after Interbike, told wouldn't be available until December. Called a couple of times to confirm I was in the queue for the bike. Was told by Christmas, then by the end of the year. Called Dec. 24 to see if it shipped and was told to check back after Jan. 3. Called Jan. 3 and told frames would be sent to San Diego Jan. 14. Called Jan. 14 and told some frames had been received but no XLs. My shop called today and got the Feb. 28 date. I have to say that my confidence level of getting a bike next month is low.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Sometimes, this is the deal when trying to be on the bleeding edge of brand new models. I personally am glad they are at least taking the the time to get it right, versus rushing them out. I prefer the old logo anyway.

Bob, you will be one of the first with this ride, so hang in there....

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Ordered an Epiphany SST.2 shortly after Outerbike. Was told by my local BS that the bike shipped late last week. Wish you the best of luck with your Evolution; didn't get a chance to ride one, but really enjoyed the Epiphany and Moment SST.2's.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I quite like the sound of smaller lazer etched graphics. It is pretty normal to have to wait for a brand new design and normal for production schedules to overrun. thats true with any company trying to get the design out there as a prototype first.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    From what I've been told they are still using the new logo but have made it smaller so the laser etching can handle the tube radius.

Tool
    Quote Originally Posted by BiknBob
    I have to say that my confidence level of getting a bike next month is low.
    Hang in there. The C'dale folks are going through the exact same thing right now. I wouldn't be surprised to find several other manufacturers in the same boat, as I believe this is more about how the industry operates than any single manu.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Sorry Ellsworth, but being told that I have to wait six months after ordering is unacceptable to me. Feb. 28 is the estimated date that they are to arrive in San Diego meaning I wouldn't get the bike until March (maybe...). That's basically half way through the model year for crying out loud. I called earlier in the week and left a voicemail with Tony detailing my problems and asking him to call back with a confirmed shipping date and got nothing back. I went to my shop last night and cancelled the Evolution and ordered an '11 Epic Carbon Comp 29er and Roval Carbon wheels. Shipped today, will be here Tuesday. THAT'S how to do business, Tony.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BiknBob
    Sorry Ellsworth, but being told that I have to wait six months after ordering is unacceptable to me. Feb. 28 is the estimated date that they are to arrive in San Diego meaning I wouldn't get the bike until March (maybe...). That's basically half way through the model year for crying out loud. I called earlier in the week and left a voicemail with Tony detailing my problems and asking him to call back with a confirmed shipping date and got nothing back. I went to my shop last night and cancelled the Evolution and ordered an '11 Epic Carbon Comp 29er and Roval Carbon wheels. Shipped today, will be here Tuesday. THAT'S how to do business, Tony.

Wow.

Nice, the Spec was favored by the Bike mag "Bike Bible" crew over the Evolution too.
    The said something just wasn't right about that Ells.

I'm going new carbon Enduro over my Moment if I ever have the cash!
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I've had a '10 Epic Comp for a year and been happy with it. Wanted something to do some bigger jumps on but, oh well. Spec customer service is excellent and fast. The 6-month wait deal left me wondering if I had a warranty issue down the line if I would also have to wait on Ells. I got my issue of Bike the other day and read the Epic review but honestly didn't find the Evolution review until after I cancelled my order. Good thing, since the trails I normally ride here in Virginia are tight and twisty. Surprising though, I thought the steeper head tube angle on the Evo would make it quicker. I was a bit worried about the extra inch of wheelbase and chainstay length. Maybe 4 inches of travel is the "sweet spot" for XC 29ers? Can't go wrong with the Enduro, Spec and Fox have really got the Brain dialed.