mtbr member

2011 Ellsworth Epiphany Frame Size ?

Need help with sizing a Epiphany, want to know if a large is to large and if i should have gone with a med frame.

I had my Ellworth stolen and my insurance company is replacing it with a brand new 2011 Epiphany. They wanted to now a frame size so i told them large, without doing much research. I based it off of other bikes i owned previously. I had a Kona Stinky XL frame and was a bit big but ok still. Ellsworth Joker that was a Medium, it was ok size and a Specialized XC FSR medium frame which is way to small. So i just told them large cause i was excited they were getting me a brand new bike after my 2003 Joker was stolen.

Height: 5'7"

Cycling inseam: 31"

Pants inseam: 32"

Weight: 170#

Thanks

One Gear
    I'm 6'3 with a 35" inseam and the large is just barely big enough for me. If you measure it, it's 19" from the center of the BB to the top of the seatpost collar. My neighbor is 5'10" and rides a medium. Both of us are on a 2008 Epiphany.

You should call Ellsworth on Monday and run your numbers by them. I'm sure that someone there is close to your size and can give you some solid advice.

You'll love the bike!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Im 6ft with a 32'' inseam and I ride 19" (m), and personal I don't think I'd want any bigger then that. Unless being stretched out is your thing.. How'd your bike get boosted anyway?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dogo
    Im 6ft with a 32'' inseam and I ride 19" (m), and personal I don't think I'd want any bigger then that. Unless being stretched out is your thing.. How'd your bike get boosted anyway?
    I am building a 2011 Ellsworth Epiphany right now and I am 5'8" with a 30" inseam and went Medium. I personally think the Ellsworth bikes tend to run a little on the larger side of the sizing spectrum (in the effective top tube length). My bike will use a NO-Offset Thomson Post and an 80mm zero rise stem (may go back to 90mm once it is done).

I would maybe change it up to a medium if I was you.

LBS Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by eymana
    Need help with sizing a Epiphany, want to know if a large is to large and if i should have gone with a med frame.

I had my Ellworth stolen and my insurance company is replacing it with a brand new 2011 Epiphany. They wanted to now a frame size so i told them large, without doing much research. I based it off of other bikes i owned previously. I had a Kona Stinky XL frame and was a bit big but ok still. Ellsworth Joker that was a Medium, it was ok size and a Specialized XC FSR medium frame which is way to small. So i just told them large cause i was excited they were getting me a brand new bike after my 2003 Joker was stolen.

Height: 5'7"

Cycling inseam: 31"

Pants inseam: 32"

Weight: 170#

Thanks

I am very close to you in hight and inseam. I ride a medium Epiphany and could not fit a bike any bigger.

mtbr member
    The Med and large bikes arent that diffrent from eachother, My Joker was a large, not a med, and it was quite a bit bigger than my specialized. But it was comfy.

The only difference is the TopTube length which is an inch longer on large and the Seat post height is 2 inches and the wheel base is a inch longer. You could cut the seat post and would that extra inch on the top tube be that noticable?

mtbr member
    Its to late its ordered and already on its way and will take alot longer to send the frame back and wait even longer its taken almost a month to get where i'm at now. I'm pretty new at MTB being from Nebraska and moved to Montana. I don't think i would notice it a whole lot i think i might be able to get used to it.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=dogo]Im 6ft with a 32'' inseam and I ride 19" (m), and personal I don't think I'd want any bigger then that. Unless being stretched out is your thing.. How'd your bike get boosted anyway?[/QUOTEI

I went for a ride and it was late, i didn't take bike out of the car. It was in a hatchback and the only way to get the bike out of the car was with the hatch up and you couldn't unlock from inside, the only way was with a key to open hatch. Well they broke window out climbed into car and took the wheels off and the seat and tried to put back together and someone scared them off and they didn't get the back wheel back on or the seat so they dropped that and took the frame and they got the front wheel on. It hasn't surfaced anywhere in Billings so i thinks its a gonner.

mtbr member
    S M & L frames geometrys

A. Head Angle (Degrees) 70 70 70
    B. Seat Angle (Degrees) 73.5 73.5 73.5
    C. Bottom Bracket Height (static) 12.3 inches 12.3 inches 12.3 inches
    D. Top Tube Length 22.3 inches 23.5 inches 24.5 inches
    E. Stand Over 27.0 inches 27.1 inches 27.1 inches
    F. Chainstay Length 16.9 inches 16.9 inches 16.9 inches
    G. Seat Tube 15.5 inches 17 inches 19 inches
    H. Head Tube Length 4 inches 5 inches 5 inches
    Rear Travel 5.5 inches 5.5 inches 5.5 inches
    Recommended Fork Travel 5.5 inches 5.5 inches 5.5 inches
    Shock Length 7.875 inches 7.875 inches 7.875 inches
    Wheelbase 42.5 inches 43.5 inches 44.5 inches
    Static Fork Length 20 inches 20 inches 20 inches

Ologist
    Just to add to the record, I am 5'11' with a 31" inseam and I went large.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I am 5'8" with 30 inch inseam and riding a medium EPI. I am on my second EPI after upgrading my 2006 with a 2011

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    How'd the Large fit you at 5.11 and 31" inseam...getting ready to pick one up, thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I am 6 foot with a 31" inseam and my large fitted with an angle set slackening the fork angle by 1 degree feels perfect both in standover and reach. ( stack and reach both effected by the angle set changing the geometry. seat angle is steeper therefore eff top tube shorter)

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    At 5'7" with 31" inseam you do not have a long torso. I'm the same height but with 29" inseam and I find the medium a tad long for me. It would work but a tad long.

The top tube fit is the most critical when it comes to how comfortable a bike feels. I'm think a large would be too stretched out for you (Ells top tubes are longish to begin with) and you'll end up compensating by using very short stem, higher rise bars and scooting your saddle all the way forward on a zero-offset seatpost.

But all these fixes can only do so much and it's all a compromise. Maxing out each of these elements will affect the way a bike handles negatively and you are not going to get the most out of your bike.

Epiphany is an expensive high end frame that would cost you if you had to purchase it. If I were you I would do it right from the beginning and save yourself the heart ache later. What's an extra few weeks of wait for the opportunity to put together the ultimate bike for yourself? Wouldn't you wait to get the right parts if you had to fork out $4000-$5000 out of your own pocket to build the bike?

Ologist
    Quote Originally Posted by alanagba View Post
    How'd the Large fit you at 5.11 and 31" inseam...getting ready to pick one up, thanks.
    I think it fits well. I am in between the 2 sizes and Ells recommended the large after coming up from a medium Id. None of the adjustments on are on the extreme. If you like your ride to be a little smaller than go for the med but the large does me just fine.