Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2009 ellsworth truth build questions

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  centexells 
#1 ·
had a 2003 truth that was crash replacement(ed) for a 2009 (thanks tony), most of the parts were actually brought over for a sub-22 from around that time. has a REBA Team up front, xt/xtr triple, shimano XT disks, crossmax ST, specialized saddle.

haven't ridden newer components, and if I get into switching around drive trains, etc, its going to get spendy realy fast. right now its just over 28lbs. would love to put it on a diet to lose 2-3 lbs, but don't want to over improve it. also, 120 mm would be nice up front, but i have heard this can over stress the frame?

any thoughts? other option is to ride it for 2-3 more years as is then upgrade. catch is, i'm living somewhere now when i'm getting a lot of time to ride and won't likely have this opportunity a few years from now...

#2 ·
Hey teleguy, I did the same thing you're thinking of doing, bought all new components, rode all summer, wore out old frame. But, mine was an 01 Rocky slayer, so it was time for it to die, and I wasn't buying to lighten it up. I bought what I'd wanted to buy and ride for years. New parts and pieces can make all the difference in the world to an old bike, making it very enjoyable to ride again, but be judicious in what you spend your money on. Don't buy just to get something new. You want to cut weight, do so, but there is the big $$$$, right?

As far as going up an inch(+/-)in front suspension, why not try it? Surely these frames aren't that fragile!! The last few years of Ellsworths don't seem to have the issue of the early ones, and many people on other brands change front ends from recommended all the time without problems.

Or, if you're riding steady, and able to get out tons, sell it, and get the bike you want, Turner, Ellsworth, Titus, or any number of manufacturers that are making great bikes! Great time to buy right now!!

#3 ·
About 3 yrs ago I took my 04 frame (bought used) and replaced the XT components I had it built up with in 2005, with XX. I kept everything else the same (Am Cl wheels, WTB al other componets). Weight dropped from 27 to 25 lbs. Not the cheapest, but big weight savings and 2x10 rocks.

#7 ·
You may be able to drop considerable weight on your tires, especially if you're currently running tubes. As I'm sure you're already aware, dropping weight from the circumference of the wheels will yield the largest performance gains.

I have a 2010 Truth that tips the scales a little under 25lbs. XO brakes/drivetrain with triple up front. Rear wheel is a Crossmax ST and front the stock American Classic. Carbon bars and seat post. Tires are the good ol' Dart/Smoke combo run tubeless (tires are 570 grams, roll fast, grip well, work very well tubeless, and can be had for $25 each).

Good luck,
Pete

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.