mtbr member

2007 Fox 32 or 36 Talas for my Id?

I am thinking of replacing my Lefty suspension on the front of my Id this winter. I'd go with a Crossmax XL wheelset and like the idea of running the 20mm axel of a Fox 36 Talas with it. The lefty is super stiff up front, and I'd like to duplicate that if possible. If the Fox 163mm is too much fork for my frame, and I end up "stuck" with a 2007 Fox 32 (140mm), I may just can the whole idea. You see, I'd have to buy a new wheelset if I switch forks, and the addition 10mm from the Fox 32 over my current 130mm lefty just dosen't seem like it would be worth it. Thoughts? Pictures? Geometry issues?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by bpnic; 09-11-2007 at 08:29 PM.
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

Custom User Title
    I don't think the ID will be able to handle the 36. The geometry will be really messed up. If I were to re-fork an ID it would be a 150mm variety. I have a 36 on my Moment and I really like it.

I have never used a lefty so I can't say whether or not it is better than the Fox. But the new Fox forks are really nice.

Stay away from any of the older SPV forks. Those don't mesh to well with the 4 bar frames.
    Team MOJO Wheels.

Time is not a road.
    Marzocchi AM SL...20mm axle, 120-160 travel adjust, all air lightness...sweet...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coldsteele
    I don't think the ID will be able to handle the 36. The geometry will be really messed up. If I were to re-fork an ID it would be a 150mm variety. I have a 36 on my Moment and I really like it.

I have never used a lefty so I can't say whether or not it is better than the Fox. But the new Fox forks are really nice.

Stay away from any of the older SPV forks. Those don't mesh to well with the 4 bar
    frames.
    Coldsteele- I would keep it at 4" for a few XC races, at 5" 90% of the time and 6" for the couple of times a year I ride the chairlift.Does that change your thoughts? Based on looks alone, I'd buy the 36. Glad to hear your digging the 36 on your Moment!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    Marzocchi AM SL...20mm axle, 120-160 travel adjust, all air lightness...sweet...
    Now that is something to consider. How light is it? Under 6 pounds?

Custom User Title
    EW suggests that a CK deep insert steel headset be installed if the 36 is installed on the Moment to keep from ovalizing the head tube. Given that the moment is a lot burlier than the ID I would assume that the 36 would be too rigid for it.
    Team MOJO Wheels.

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by bpnic
    Now that is something to consider. How light is it? Under 6 pounds?
    The website lists it at 5lbs. Not too bad for a 160mm fork.

http://marzocchi.com/Template/detail...K&Sito=usa-mtb

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    It seems the preferred fork last year for the ID was the Marz AM1 (5lbs), but it was QR. I really, really like this fork but I do wish I had a 20mm axle. The SL is nice too, but I think the coil/air is more plush than marz all air forks, and now that ECC5 isn’t on it you can’t drop it for long climbs. The AM’s have an A-C of 541mm @150mm while the Fox 36 is only 535mm @150mm so it should ride great.

The head tube ovalizing has always baffled me a bit. Yes the fork is stiffer, but it has a low enough A-C length so that the lever arm shouldn’t be any worse than the AM1 which they say is fine. I guess maybe the peak forces on impact are slightly higher, but I can’t imagine that fork flex is dropping them that much. If you have any worries, run a deep cup headset and I’m sure it would be fine. Or call Ells and see what they say. The Moment may have the same size head tube as the ID since I never heard of problems with it.

Oh, I seem to remember you mentioning that you’re 210 so maybe that would put it beyond the frame with a standard headset. I think it really depends more what you will be doing with the bike when it’s setup this burly

zeb
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    I had AM1 130-150mm(baby poo colour)on my ID,really liked it lot,but i wanted to go lighter.
    Then i got AM SL -05 130-150mm for bargain price.Absolutely supreme fork for pricevalue.Very versatile because of airspring (no need to change coilsprings to achieve proper sag) Plenty of adjustments.9mm axle does not bother me at all.
    I did put on Fox 36 van on ID,yes i looked nice,but it was way too burly to match IDīs snappy chacracter.Front and rearend felt unbalanced.I rode it only for 2 hours.No good combination.
    If need more stabile front end i just put fat front tire on.Voila then it is just aim and let go.
    Btw.Fox do provide different coilsprings with purchase to match riders weight ?At least i had 2 sets of coilsprings with my FOX.
    AM SL needs pretty long break-in period and pump with suitable accurate scale.