Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

2007 Enlightenments

Does anyone know anything about the new Enlightenments?

I ordered one through my local shop just before Christmas. At the time, I was told that they would release some in March. Based on a post here in February, it sounded like that was still true. I talked to my shop near the end of March and was told that Ells shipped a small number of frames and the next group wouldn't be ready until May. I had emailed Ells a couple times, but not since late-February and I have never gotten any real information. Just that they are in the works and will start shipping soon. Same answer at that time for the carbon wheels.

Does anyone know anything else? Has anyone actually seen a new Enlightenment besides the one that was at Interbike?

Time is not a road.
    No...and in the meantime, they've announced sponsorship for Team Maxxis...I'd bet that that has taken some retooling to get ready since Sea Otter is this weekend.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Any Update SLP2002FH?
    I just ordered one from my LBS and am curious about what kind of wait I am looking at.
    Anyone else have any info?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I talked to my LBS last week. They said they talked to Ellsworth and got the following information:

I just called Ellsworth and they've told me that they're bogged down on the carbon
    production, because they're keeping the bike production US made, its making the process slower than they were expecting. They're quoting me a date of sometime in Mid-May to Late-May.

I just happy that the weather in the Chicago has been so bad that I'm not really missing out on any trail time. Besides, riding my Truth isn't exactly punishment.

Good luck with yours!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks SLP,
    My shop talked to Ellsworth and they said June/July for mine.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I'm now hearing that it will be late June before my frame arrives. This is turning into a joke. I've been looking at other options, but not sure yet what I'm going to do.

Has anyone actually seen one anywhere besides the Interbike Show. I was told that some were shipped back in March or April? If this happened, where did they go???

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

my update...

My LBS called E 2 weeks ago, E said the frame was still in "quality testing" or something to that effect. I am going to have them follow up tomorrow and see what is up.

I will let you know what I hear.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

E called me today

Dave from Ellsworth called me today to explain what is going on with the Enlightenments.
    You might want to give them a call or talk to them directly to get the skinny.

Time is not a road.
    It's not just Ellsworth having trouble delivering bikes this year. I know Titus with the El Guapo and Turner with the RFX have had what seem like, to their customers, long delays.

I wonder...are we seeing a new trend in manufacturing? Delays caused by material shortages, a lack of skilled workers or is it just unwise to release products at Interbike that you don't expect to produce 8 months or more later? In that vein, I like how Santa Cruz seems ready to sell a product when they release it. Perhaps some companies are shooting themselves in the foot.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    We'll never know what truely causes these delays, but it is very frustrating for us consumers when it does happen. I have these problems where I work too. I just wish they would have more information about this on their website. If you look at it today, you really think you can just go out and purchase one. Not that it would make me feal any better at this point, but if it just had coming this summer next to the picture they could keep others from feeling the way I do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SLP2002FH
    We'll never know what truely causes these delays, but it is very frustrating for us consumers when it does happen. I have these problems where I work too. I just wish they would have more information about this on their website. If you look at it today, you really think you can just go out and purchase one. Not that it would make me feal any better at this point, but if it just had coming this summer next to the picture they could keep others from feeling the way I do.

I know how you feel. I ordered an Evolve in November and it finally made it to my LBS on friday. I keep hearing we're two weeks ago for months. Got close to ordering a different frame but glad I didn't. Fame looks amazing and the bike should be built up within the next couple weeks. If it rides as good as anticipted the 7 month wait might actually be worth it.

Hang in there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    It's not just Ellsworth having trouble delivering bikes this year. I know Titus with the El Guapo and Turner with the RFX have had what seem like, to their customers, long delays.

I wonder...are we seeing a new trend in manufacturing? Delays caused by material shortages, a lack of skilled workers or is it just unwise to release products at Interbike that you don't expect to produce 8 months or more later? In that vein, I like how Santa Cruz seems ready to sell a product when they release it. Perhaps some companies are shooting themselves in the foot.

Actually I believe the Nomad owners have been waiting for the 1.5 headtube version to come out for quite some time

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Still waiting, but I did receive a glimmer of hope today. I talked to my shop who talked to Ellsworth who reported an August 15th ship date. I'm not going to hold my breath, but I really hope it is true this time.

Anyone else hear anything lately???

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I bailed on the enlightenments and went with a scott scale ltd. I raced it in the leadville 50 last weekend. it did well.
    I may switch back over to the enlightenments for next year...Give us an update when you get it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Well, the 15th came and went. I talked to my shop today and was now told August 30th. The frames are suppose to be at the laser etcher right now and due back on the 29th.

Am I the only one waiting for one of these frames?

I found some humor in the recent re-surfacing of the Happy New Year message where Dave said on January 29th that "the Enlightenments are about 45 days out as planned (many of these are pre sold so be a little bit patient)". Looks like he left the 1 off the front of that number.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I ordered a One, the single speed specific version of the Enlightenment, thru my LBS on August 9. I called Ellswoth to make sure the order got in correctly. They said it would be about a 8-10 week wait.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Upset

fortytwo - I wish you luck in getting yours in a timely fashion.

I called for an update today and got the response that I expected, next week. Maybe I'll have it in time for next season. My last race of this season is on the 9th of September.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I'm not holding my breath. Since I already have all the components, I went ahead and bought an aluminum frame at Performance. It's an old Supergo Access frame that's been hanging in the store for years, so I talked them down to $110. It'll do until I get the One.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I called Ellsworth again on Monday (9/10) and still can't get any real information out of them. Actually they apparently took a step backwards since I talked to them the week before (9/4). I'm being told that they still need to bond the carbon to the frame and it is expected to ship in two weeks, but last week they were already in the process of bonding and it should have only taken a couple days. So I sent an email today asking for someone who knows something to contact me. If I don't hear anything with a couple days, my order will be canceled. I've been looking at the Titus Eleven and the Litespeed Ocoee as possible replacements.

I just keep going back to the custom bike that they made for the little people show. I'm sure that one bike was much more important to someone there than getting the enlightenment completed. But then again, I don't know when that was really filmed. But now I'm sure all the focus is on Interbike and showing more products that won't be ready for release for a year or two.
    Last edited by SLP2002FH; 09-12-2007 at 03:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Sent you a PM that might be of use.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I have a medium Enlightenment for sale if anyone is interested. Brand new and never been ridden.

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...?product=10756

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I finally got a response from Ellsworth that I believe, but it is just as worthless as all the other information thay have given me. I received an email apologizing for the delays and misinformation. And was told that the large size would not be released until after November 1st. Bare in mind that I was told on the phone on September 4th that they were actually bonding the carbon and they were going to be shipping very soon. And that was after I was asked what size and color I had ordered and where from. Gee, how long after November 1st do you think it will be?

I've talked to my shop and my order will be canceled. I'm moving on and will probably never give Ellsworth a look again. I really like my Truth, but I'll look elsewhere when the time comes to replace it. Good luck to all those waiting. I'll post some pictures of the new ride here when I get it.

Ti is addictive
    You waited 10 months???? and still no frame.........Holy hannah. Not even a handbuilt custom would ever have taken that long. Good luck on your search for a new frame. I currently ride an Eleven and Have a another bike about to be ordered and the moment I sign the custom sheet, I've been told six weeks and that is a handbuilt custom one off.
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Well....... considering that Ellsworth has done VERY little, to none at all with carbon fiber. I going to guess they are having some problems with the carbon rear end. I'm pretty much guarantee these things are going to be a warranty nightmare. Personally, I would stay far far away from these frames. They are going to try and go as light as possible, and thats not always a good thing. SLP, it probably a good thing you are looking elsewhere. Sorry to be a downer guys, but past track records shine through.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I would hope that they don't have issues with the carbon. From what I understand though all this is that it is being sourced on the outside (so they aren't trying to manufacture something new) and they were trying to use a US supplier. Also, their last two road bikes have Easton carbon rears, so they have worked with it before. With that said, they kept telling me that the holdup was due to the carbon. So who knows. Also, as they said in the email that I received, they are playing it safe by not rushing it out the door. Hopefully it will be a good bike when it gets released, but I'll be riding something different by then.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast