mtbr member
    Sep 2004

2006 Moment and 130 mm Forks.

Hello just in the process of buying a second hand Moment Frame 2006 model and i am wondering about fork choice, currently have Marzocchi 2004 Z1 Bomber Drop offs with ETA or a set of Pace 130 mm forks. My problem is whether to stick one of these forks on the frame and wait to purchase another fork in summer 08 or go for something like a 2007 Maz All Mountain Sl on sale. Riding is all day with plenty of climbing, singletrack not that many jumps (getting too old ) weigh in at 205 without gear and am as clumsy as hell so need a fork that balances the rear, can be dropped for long climbs, reasonable light ( aiming at a final bike weight of 32 pounds...lighter if possible), reliable fork that can cope with my bad line choices. Any advice welcome

Time is not a road.
    Put the Drop Off on there for now. The excessive Axle to Crown height of the older Marzocchi will match up decently with the geometry of the Moment until you can get a different fork.

The AM SL would be a good fork, though I think you'd benefit more from the new 55 series with it's beefier stanchions and stiffer crown. The ATA version is also pretty darned light for a fork like that. Any fork that has travel adjust would be a good choice, like an '07 66 SL or Lyrik Coil U-turn. Perhaps you could find deals on those forks as well.

We're going down WHAT??

yeah you need a longer adjustable fork.

I originally had a Fox RL 130 on my Moment. Once I put on a fork with a longer axle to crown (not to mention travel) length, the rear suspension totally woke up and the bike became much more lively and enjoyable to ride. I suggest you do the same. I am currently running the Nixon 145mm fork, but I expect to be on either the Fox 36 or the new Marzocchi 55 fork after Christmas. (yeah I said the dreaded C word... go ahead and hate on me..) Anyhow, you will like the added A to C length of your older marzocchi with that frame. Save up and get yourself a newer fork with a 150mm travel (adjustable) so you can really wake that bike up!
    "Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks for the advice, what weight are people getting the moments to come out at?

mtbr member
    I have a Fox Float 150mm on my moment and got it to weigh in at 32 pounds. It by no means a racer but man is it fun to ride, climbs reasonably well I think once I get myself into better shape I'll be more impressed with the climbing.

We're going down WHAT??

Mine's in at just a hair over 29lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Hicksville
    Thanks for the advice, what weight are people getting the moments to come out at?
    Mine is built fairly sturdy and at 29lbs it is still somewhat light. I will be purchasing a lighter fork than my Nixon with coil. Running a Fox Float R in the rear. I will also purchase a gravity dropper or speed ball in the near future too so the overall weight will be about the same. In regards to my rear shock, I would not suggest it if you are over 200lbs (without gear). If you are under than it works well, if you are over then it has to be set stiff to not feel mushy. I may sent it to Push Industries later this year. We'll see how the riding in So-Cal comes along since it seems like a bunch of the areas to ride were somewhat cooked recently.
    "Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston