mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Good job! 2005 Ellsworth Joker fork options I need some advice

Ok I have an 05 Joker that I have run a fox 36 on for a while now and found that I have a crack in the lower magnesium housing and I would like to change the fork although I need some advice on which one to pick as well as what travel I should go with. The fox 36 was only the 150mm travel and I also had a marzocchi 66 on it for a couple of weeks and that was a 170mm travel. I think that the 150mm travel was a little low for the joker. So the Joker is an 7inch travel rear, so I felt that the 150mm travel was not enough travel and I felt that the 66(170mm travel) seemed to ride a little high in the front end although I only rode this for about a week or two. I look at other ellsworth jokers and see people running boxxers with probably 7inches of rear travel and also see people running really small amounts of travel forks in the front. I need an opinion for the perfect travel fork for this bike or is there on? My thought was to either get the new rockshox lyrik which is a 160mm travel or jump up to the totem which is a 180mm travel. I need opinions on which to run and would the totem be to much or what, and would it ride funny in the front end. Let me know thanks Dave

Time is not a road.
    The older 66s had really tall axle to crown lengths which made them pretty tall, even for 170mm travel forks. Newer 66s are not like this. You could go with a 66SL ATA with 140-180mm of travel and fine tune it to your needs. If you're not trail riding, per se, and going strictly FR/DH the 66 RC2X would be excellent as would a Totem. The damping on new Rock Shox forks is remarkable and the 40mm stanchions would be extremely stiff.

For trail/AM riding, the newer Fox stuff at 160mm or Lyrik would be good. Also, take a look at the Magura Wootan...there's a review over on the shocks boards...some people are diggin' those, too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I've also got an 05 joker. As far as trail riding and moderate freeride, I use an 05 z1 eta 150mm. For heavier freeride I use an 05 888 rc 170mm. I ride with guys who use 130mm z-1's for trail riding. The 150 usually stays on my bike. With the 150, my head angle sits around 68 degrees, and feels very stable;yet still is very trail worthy. I've never been a big fan of air suspension, so I can't comment on any of the new 180mm marzocchi air forks. It really depends on what kind of riding that YOU do most. With the triple crown, the turning radius stinks for trail riding(at least in western north carolina). But it kicks butt at snowshoe and windrock tn. Good luck

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Ok thanks guys I just ordered up a new totem with the coil, so thats a 180mm travel fork. I will let you know how it works. I hope to post some pics with it soon. Thanks again. Dave

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

lets see the rides

I have an 05 also, I have a Marz All Mountain up front and would love to upgrade let me know how that thing performs, and I cant wait to see the pics