mtbr member
    Jul 2006

2004 Dare Tire Clearance Issues

Recently got a new DH swingarm for my dare. Had a Freeride/ xc one before but one of the small bearings ovalized its hole. Put this one on and noticed that there is no clearance between the swingarm and my tire. The tire is a kenda nevegal 2.5 on a intense mag 30 with no tubes. I was thinking of getting a smaller tire, but i dont' think width is a issue, ellsworth say a max of 2.7" with the DH swingarm. I may need to get a new rim for the rear as I think the mag 30's are taller than most rims. I built up the rim a bit to install no tubes, the front extends the same amount from the rim as the rear. Suggestions?

Rides like wrecking ball
    Quote Originally Posted by cplate
    Recently got a new DH swingarm for my dare. Had a Freeride/ xc one before but one of the small bearings ovalized its hole. Put this one on and noticed that there is no clearance between the swingarm and my tire. The tire is a kenda nevegal 2.5 on a intense mag 30 with no tubes. I was thinking of getting a smaller tire, but i dont' think width is a issue, ellsworth say a max of 2.7" with the DH swingarm. I may need to get a new rim for the rear as I think the mag 30's are taller than most rims. I built up the rim a bit to install no tubes, the front extends the same amount from the rim as the rear. Suggestions?

Sorry for your pain. That's the "DH" clearance, huh? My AM/FR bike clears a 2.7 with gobs of mud clearance!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Yeah I had 2.7's before too. Had tons of clearance. Maybe a rogue chainstay will fit. Trying to contact ellsworth. Left some messages, would like a chainstay that works with my bike, seeing as I paid a bunch for it. I wanted a xc/freeride one, but this is all they had they said. I wish they would of told me about clearance issues.

Rolling
    Wow that is tight! I don't understand how getting a different rim will help??? What does taller mean? All mountain rims are the same outer diameter I thought. The width varies and your only hope is a narrower rim--silly on a big bike.

BTW, I had this problem with my Id. I cracked the chainstay and got a new one...later Paul (who is not there) offered ip an asymmetrical stay. He sent it out but it was designed for the new bike which have a different horst pivot point so it was too short and looked like that.

I sent an email and Ellsworth had redesigned the stay with a deeper throw, so my new one has more clearance. This sounds like the same problem with the old Dares versus the newer ones.

Read about it here.
    Last edited by lidarman; 03-28-2007 at 07:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    What I meant by taller is that the mag 30's are a deep rim, they have a taller surface than most rims (from top of rim to start of spoke), they may stick the tire out farther that other rims, as I have some friends with dare's and they have no issues. But this is just speculation right now... I dont' want to change my rims unless they break or something along those lines right now. Other rims may be a bit lighter, but these ones seem to do the job quite well.

Rolling
    What I meant by taller is that the mag 30's are a deep rim, they have a taller surface than most rims (from top of rim to start of spoke), they may stick the tire out farther that other rims, as I have some friends with dare's and they have no issues. But this is just speculation right now... I dont' want to change my rims unless they break or something along those lines right now. Other rims may be a bit lighter, but these ones seem to do the job quite well.
    That won't change the tire clearance.

Think about it. Tires are designed with an inner diameter that is standard and consistent in the industry. Rims that vary, do so on the inner diameter of the rim, not the outer diameter, They certainly vary on width. That "depth" or "tallness" or whatever you wanna call it is independent of the outer diameter of the rim. The variation only affects the spoke length.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Yeah that is what I thought too. One of my buddies seems to think its the rim and tire combo as he has the same bike, a 2003, with the same chainstay and has no issues, he has a smaller tire, but not that much, and he has a different rim. Another friend has a 2004 dare with the same chainstay, and no issues. I have to check out the 2004 dare chainstay, see if the dimensions are the same.

Rolling
    Yeah that is what I thought too. One of my buddies seems to think its the rim and tire combo as he has the same bike, a 2003, with the same chainstay and has no issues, he has a smaller tire, but not that much, and he has a different rim. Another friend has a 2004 dare with the same chainstay, and no issues. I have to check out the 2004 dare chainstay, see if the dimensions are the same.
    Don't just check out the stay, check out the rear pivot compared to the dropout on the different Dare's too. That is the problem I had. They redesigned the dropout on the epiphany and moment, then when they made the new stays (which were the same length), they made a deeper yoke. it works fine on moments and Epiphany's but not on Id's. Might be same redesign on the Dare.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks for the tips. I will take some measurements and try to get some answers from ellsworth.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Well I checked my buddies 04 dare with dh chainstay and there is a big difference. Tons of clearance, and has four little holes in the middle as well as shaved cutouts in the side like my freeride chainstay had. I called ellsworth and they said it should fit, but it dont', putting my old one, and the 03 chainstay on top of each other, you could see there is way less clearance, they must of moved a pivot or something in 04. So i shipped it back, and they are going to send me one that works. Hopefully they can get this to me before next month, as they are going to sea otter on tuesday.