mtbr member
    May 2004

2002 Id Chainline...

Hi,
    Does anyone know what chainlien the 2002 Id was designed around?
    I've just tried to install a new XT crankset which is a 50mm chainline and in the middle/middle combo, the chain looks awful.

For some reason 47.5 rings a bell, but it would be nice to be sure..

cheers,
    LJ

Ologist
    Quote Originally Posted by littlejohn
    Hi,
    Does anyone know what chainlien the 2002 Id was designed around?
    I've just tried to install a new XT crankset which is a 50mm chainline and in the middle/middle combo, the chain looks awful.

For some reason 47.5 rings a bell, but it would be nice to be sure..

cheers,
    LJ
    I would like to know the answer too. Once I went through the new re-registration crap at their website, I got a response to my tech question w/in a couple of hours.

Rolling
    I think it's 47.5. Doesn't a 73x113 (or do you have a 118mm spindle?-- which is too long) give you that automatically with xt cranks?

73x113 is the spec bb for the bike.

If you have an integrated crank, move a spacer from the drive side to the non-drive side where the cups screw into the BB shell.

I can't say for sure you need a 47.5 mm chainline but because the seatube is standard, 31.8, that is the preferred chainline for that seattube diameter in general.
    Last edited by lidarman; 04-07-2008 at 02:49 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    I think it's 47.5. Doesn't a 73x113 (or do you have a 118mm spindle?-- which is too long) give you that automatically with xt cranks?

73x113 is the spec bb for the bike.

If you have an integrated crank, move a spacer from the drive side to the non-drive side where the cups screw into the BB shell.

I can't say for sure you need a 47.5 mm chainline but because the seatube is standard, 31.8, that is the preferred chainline for that seattube diameter in general.

Yeah.. thanks... it's the ext BB cranks, so spindle is integrated.
    I'm going to leave it a 47.5 ie one spacer on the non drive side. the chainline looks much better like that.

cheers