mtbr member
    Apr 2004

2001 Truth purchase - warranty/replacement for 2nd owner?

I'm looking at purchasing a used (not cracked) 2001 Truth. I know they have breakage issues, this one isn't cracked or damaged. I'm wondering this: If I purchase it and it subsequently cracks, will Ellsworth do anything for me in terms of replacement? I understand the whole $485 to "upgrade", and would be willing to accept that. But would I even be able to access that as I wouldn't be the original owner (and so wouldn't have a receipt or anything)?

I know the 2001 breakage topic has been beaten to death, I'm not trying to open up yet another thread just to rehash that stuff - I think this is a different topic, and I didn't see anything in the former posts addressing this. Thanks for any help.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    On their '01 warranty card its saids "This warranty is given to the original retail pruchaser ONLY". Yes ONLY was in caps on the card. Judging on past postings here i doubt they will do much for you and best case senario is they would maybe cover you in a "crash replacement" type offering of $1400 for a new frame. But who knows? The best thing to do is to shoot them an email.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

and for what it's worth.......

I ride a 2001 truth that rides great and hasn't broken (yet)! great bike

Rolling
    As said above, the warranty is original owner only. Now you could take a chance and see if the guy you are buying if from agrees to help you if it breaks later in making a claim. Just hope he isn't long gone if it happens. I personally would never want to remain connected to a frame that I sold.

IMO, you better be getting a really sweet deal on this frame. I had a 2001 that broke and I know why it broke and why they changed the design. If you are a gentile rider, it may never break on you. For me it's not a hard decision.

The Ancient One
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    If you are a gentile rider, it may never break on you.
    But if you're a Jewish rider, watch out!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve from JH
    But if you're a Jewish rider, watch out!
    LOL. Literal ninny I didn't even notice the spelling until you pointed it out.

Rolling
    LOL, ...Nice one! Touch-aye!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuck Doc
    I'm looking at purchasing a used (not cracked) 2001 Truth. I know they have breakage issues, this one isn't cracked or damaged. I'm wondering this: If I purchase it and it subsequently cracks, will Ellsworth do anything for me in terms of replacement? I understand the whole $485 to "upgrade", and would be willing to accept that. But would I even be able to access that as I wouldn't be the original owner (and so wouldn't have a receipt or anything)?

I know the 2001 breakage topic has been beaten to death, I'm not trying to open up yet another thread just to rehash that stuff - I think this is a different topic, and I didn't see anything in the former posts addressing this. Thanks for any help.

I got my 2001 Truth used from a bike shop owner who agreed to take care of any warranty issues. After 4 years, it's still all original and yes, I have been checking for crack on the seat tube. So far, so good. :::knock on wood::: The Truth has been a joy to ride and I have to say, compared to my old GT LTS, maintenance is almost nill. I ride trails that are mostly fireroad/singletrack, a few drops here and there, but nothing over a foot. Typical SoCal stuff. I would take lidarman's advice though, make sure the guy is willing to help you out. I still maintain communication with the guy that sold me my bike. You never know what'll happen in the future.