mtbr member
    Jan 2008

1st post with question

Hello....I own a 2003 Id with a Romic rear shock. I've had the bike since new and so far so good. The Romic is leaking from the shaft and needs a rebuild. Is Romic still open for business? Or should I try another shock. I want to stay with a coil shock. Also.........Did anyone here transition from the Id to the Epiphany/Moment and would like to comment. I might just buy a new frameset! Thanks,

Lou

bi_ke
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad V2
    Hello....I own a 2003 Id with a Romic rear shock. I've had the bike since new and so far so good. The Romic is leaking from the shaft and needs a rebuild. Is Romic still open for business? Or should I try another shock. I want to stay with a coil shock. Also.........Did anyone here transition from the Id to the Epiphany/Moment and would like to comment. I might just buy a new frameset! Thanks,

Lou

I moved from an Id to a Moment. The transition was easy, both bikes are pretty similar. The Id climbed better of course, but the Moment still holds it's own uphill. Downhill was no contest with the Moment. The frame weight between the two on my scale was about a pound. I never used a Romic, so I can't help you there. I'd replace it with a DHX, coil or even an air (my fav), and stick with the Id.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    bi_ke, thanks! Ok.....I've decided on taking the Romic out...Called them and no return call yet. I think they're on their way out. I'm looking at the RP23, Cane Creek Cloud 9 for air shocks. Also looking at the Van R coil from Fox. Any experiences from Id owners with these suggestions?

Thanks,

Lou

mtbr member

Same dilemma

I guess I probably should have read your post before posting a very similar question this morning regarding Romic and replacement shocks.
    I'm leaning towards a RP3/23 or Cane Creek Cloud 9 as well. I assume it's best to stay as close to the Romic's 8"x2.25" dimensions. You have any idea how much wiggle room we have with a new shock sizing?
    Cheers
    mk

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I "upgraded" to the California Edition on my Id. My shock is a 7.5 X 2.0 now. I like it a lot better especially for descents. I also just put on this weekend a new Fox Vanilla 140mm RLC fork. Just looking for someone with experience with the rear shocks I posted. I think you will have room for the Fox or the Cloud 9.

Lou

Rolling
    There was a recall on those shocks back in 2003. I had a bad one and at the time. I sent it back and got it taken care of.

Good luck getting it fixed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    lidarman........Same here and they fixed it.

Lou

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    idaz............I called my LBS who sells Ellsworth and they recommended the RP23 and not the Cloud 9 because the Cloud 9 is all air. Oil is needed for the shock on the Id and the type of riding I do. Just passing that along to you. I guess it's the RP23 for my Id.

Lou

bi_ke
    Check Ebay. Search "Fox Float" and the sizes listed below...
    7.875 x 2.25 will give the Id 5.9 inches of travel, while 7.875 x 2.0 will offer 5".
    I ran 5.9" with a Float R on my Id and loved it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Update.........I ended up purchasing a 2008 Fox float R. I called and talked to a tech at Ellsworth and he recommended the 7.8 x 2.0. I asked about the RP23 and he suggested that it wasn't necessary with the ICT rear. I went for a ride this morning and I love it! It felt plush and sucked up everything and with the built in pro-pedal, it climbed very well. And I saved some weight getting rid of the Romic. Thanks for the help.

Lou