mtbr member
    Feb 2004

140mm fork on an ID?

Wasn't sure if the ID is meant for a 140mm front fork (I am looking at an 07 vanilla). I have a 130mm float right now. I have it in 6" mode on the rear VIA an RP23.
    thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    You definitely can use a 140mm fork. I use an '06 Marz AM1 at 150mm with my ID and love it with the same rear shock as you. Out of curiosity, what's the axle to crown length on the new 140mm Fox forks?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

? Rp23?

No idea on the axle to crown. I am waiting to purchase it after hearing advice from others.
    How do you like the rp23 on the ID? do you prefer the 6" travel over the 5.25?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Here's the link to my thread about the shock.

Lovin the fox RP23

Are you using a 7.5" or a 7.875" i2i shock now? That could greatly affect whether you liked the change to 6" of travel. IMHO, With the longer shock, the bike needs a longer fork to balance it out. Personally, I didn't like it with a 130mm Fox but did like the 130mm Marz fork. This was just due to geometry. If you are happy with your current 130mm Fox and have the longer rear shock already, there is nothing to lose with the extra travel. The RP23 is really nice. On the firmest setting it feels like a 3" race bike until you hit a bump. Flip the lever and there is absolutely no propedal for the downs.

Rolling
    The Id was designed for a 125 to 150 mm fork.

I used to hate the fox vanilla 125 on my Id because it oversteered (romic in rear). Now I run a pike and it rocks.

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by phatfreeheeler
    You definitely can use a 140mm fork. I use an '06 Marz AM1 at 150mm with my ID and love it with the same rear shock as you. Out of curiosity, what's the axle to crown length on the new 140mm Fox forks?
    About 525mm.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    About 525mm.
    I'd consider that in the sweet spot with the longer rear shock. Probably pretty nice with the shorter one too (Cali ed.). I may even consider changing from the AM1 to that if I can't get rid of the strange clunking/clicking sound I have.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

rp23 con't

I have the 7 7/8" i2i shock. I have yet to install it since it just came this week. Do you have any problems sith the rocker hitting the air valve at all? What size frame do you have?

Time is not a road.
    I'd consider that in the sweet spot with the longer rear shock. Probably pretty nice with the shorter one too (Cali ed.). I may even consider changing from the AM1 to that if I can't get rid of the strange clunking/clicking sound I have.
    You have the coil version - correct? Have you wrapped the coil at all? Mine used to rattle around in there and at compression would impact the inside of the stanchion (tick).

If you have a clunk, it could be a number of things, like low oil.

I'd recommend sending it to Marzocchi for the Works service. I think this would have solved a lot of the issues I had with the fork, which was the ticking coil, stiction and crappy compression damping (well, it might not have fixed this!).

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Atomic - I have the shock right side up with the propedal switch between the rocker arms. This puts the valve in front of the rockers for easy access. I find the propedal easy to switch between the rockers too.

I think it is exactly that sound that I have. I've done a full service based on Marzocchi manuals and lots of advice from hear. However, I have not "wrapped" the coil. Can you describe what you did and did it permanently solve it? The fork rides awesome, but the ticking sound is annoying.

Time is not a road.
    Atomic - I have the shock right side up with the propedal switch between the rocker arms. This puts the valve in front of the rockers for easy access. I find the propedal easy to switch between the rockers too.

I think it is exactly that sound that I have. I've done a full service based on Marzocchi manuals and lots of advice from hear. However, I have not "wrapped" the coil. Can you describe what you did and did it permanently solve it? The fork rides awesome, but the ticking sound is annoying.
    I permanently solved it...I sold it! I don't hear it anymore. Fox coils come with some kind of shrink wrap on them. I'm guessing that Marzocchi does this when they do the Works service.