mtbr member

1.5" headtube diameter and Ellsworth

Since I'm on my 1.5" headtube Q rampage, and since I'm oogling an Ellsworth as a potential next AM/FR frame, I've noticed that Ellsworth frames remain all 1 1/8," including the Moment and Rogue. Any word on the latest news --is the standard diameter staying the same or may Ellsworth join the trend toward 1.5" on FR frames?
    It's not dirt in my apartment --it's Earth.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Jokers were available with 1.5 inch head tubes.

VooDoo user.
    Ellsworth is too busy building beach cruisers to worry about fr stuff like 1.5 head tubes.

GEEEZ

trail fairy
    I still don't see the point, I mean I liked 1.5 and when I had a cannondale all those years ago it was great for its stiffness but frames/suspension have come so far since then and my XC days are over

Ellsworth make pretty light frames, 1.5 is supposed to support a stronger stiffer standard is it neccesary I don't think so.

On the Moment definitely not required thats OTT and a waste of manafacturing costs for something that already works why break something when it aint broke and it dosen't fit that market segment.

Rogue again I don't see any benefit its a fairly light frame for its intended use I think it would just add more cost again to the end user Ellsworth having another standard to make and support and possibly stress the lightness of this frame, Im not a frame builder but I think theres more to frame building than just increasing the head tube diameter.

If there were tangible benefits for 1.5 in there market Im sure they would manafacture it they have had enough experience with the Joker so maybe that told them what they needed to know.

Sometimes others follow some inovation to seperate themselves from the pack not for any real reasons of better or worse.

my 2c could be completely wrong but thats my take on it not rarking on yr suggestion
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Why aren't you riding????
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    I still don't see the point, I mean I liked 1.5 and when I had a cannondale all those years ago it was great for its stiffness but frames/suspension have come so far since then and my XC days are over

Ellsworth make pretty light frames, 1.5 is supposed to support a stronger stiffer standard is it neccesary I don't think so.

On the Moment definitely not required thats OTT and a waste of manafacturing costs for something that already works why break something when it aint broke and it dosen't fit that market segment.

Rogue again I don't see any benefit its a fairly light frame for its intended use I think it would just add more cost again to the end user Ellsworth having another standard to make and support and possibly stress the lightness of this frame, Im not a frame builder but I think theres more to frame building than just increasing the head tube diameter.

If there were tangible benefits for 1.5 in there market Im sure they would manafacture it they have had enough experience with the Joker so maybe that told them what they needed to know.

Sometimes others follow some inovation to seperate themselves from the pack not for any real reasons of better or worse.

my 2c could be completely wrong but thats my take on it not rarking on yr suggestion

granted, Ellsworth are self proclaimed innovators and rightly so to some point, but by what you are saying all other companies doing one-point-five are wasting time and money.
    I doubt the benifits of that system haven't been thouroughly weighed before the top manufacturers have made changes to there lineup.

I think with all the fork manufacturers coming on board with 7" single crowns and 1.5 steerers, a company would be stupid not to offer it on certain models........lets not forget that head tube ovalization is a tangible problem. then again the moment doesn't even offer iscg tabs
    .......or it could be beach cruisers..

trail fairy
    [QUOTE]
    granted, Ellsworth are self proclaimed innovators and rightly so to some point, but by what you are saying all other companies doing one-point-five are wasting time and money.
    No Im not saying its a waste for other manafactures at all they ahve a market segment to fufil no doubt so it may makes business sense to them, Im not speaking for Ellsworth it just seems to me that the majority if there market is standard so unless they have a need to supply customers for 1.5 I don't see any good business reason to pop them out and hope someone will buy them, esspecailly in light of the fact they still have not got there line up sorted.

I doubt the benifits of that system haven't been thouroughly weighed before the top manufacturers have made changes to there lineup.
    As said above that may suit there target market, does not seem a apples for apples comparison to me.

I think with all the fork manufacturers coming on board with 7" single crowns and 1.5 steerers, a company would be stupid not to offer it on certain models........lets not forget that head tube ovalization is a tangible problem. then again the moment doesn't even offer iscg tabs
    .......or it could be beach cruisers..
    Marz only brings out 1.5 standard in some OEM branded bikes as I understand it its not available for off the shelf purchase and they still believe 1/18 is more than enough and there 66 line proves it, I have one and its awesome

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Why aren't you riding????
    yeah, no arguement from me. as hype driven as this industry is the line between "needed" and "need to have" is blurry at best. and you are right, why make a one-point-five frame when ellsworth doesn't make bikes for that kind of abuse anymore.

....beach cruisers........

trail fairy
    ....beach cruisers........

Yeah whats that all about

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs