The Dude Abides

The '07 riding season is under way

So I live in Upper Michigan, in an area that averages some of the most snowfall of any populated area in the country. Except this year. We are having the saddest winter I can remember, I can still see the grass in my back yard. We are supposed to be at least 100 inches deep by now. The Senior National Cross Country ski race is happening this week in my hometown, on snow that was hauled in from baseball fields. Its that bad.

So every New Years we head to Copper Harbor, the northernmost town in Michigan and home to the best trails in the Midwest. Usually, we work off the previous night's activities with a snowshoe on some of the same trails we ride in the summer. But with the lack of snow this year, we actually had the opportunity to ride.

Originally, there was fear that it was going to get too warm again and the frozen ground would thaw and get too soft for riding. There was a pretty heavy rain New Years Eve, which worked its way into a freezing rain and eventually snow. There was hardly any in town, which is right at lake level. But as soon as got up in the "higher elevations" (only 300 feet above town) we found ourselves struggling to move through 4 to 5 inches of heavy, wet snow.

It was a gorgeous day, bright and sunny and the entire forest covered in snow. We had big plans to ride one of our favorite singletracks. But it became pretty apparent that wasn't going to happen once we hit the deep stuff. We were able to get a few miles in following tire tracks on some roads though. Everyone was more than happy to spend a sunny day in the woods with our bikes, the first ride of 2007.

Here are some icy shots of my Moment playing in the snow. First pic is three of the four from our crew. I'm on the left. In the second shot you can see how the snow would build up on our tires. The last shot is back at the parking lot, which was completely covered in ice.

Three_Amigos.jpg

bike_on_snow.jpg

bike_on_ice.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Really nice pics UP Dude, your Moment is looking good!
    "[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]but I do not see anything in the world of suspension methods that is superior to the 4 Bar.

Dave Turner[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Time is not a road.
    Nice...looks cold! You guys should be playin' hockey this time of year

The locals around here have forsaken their traditional bikes for Pugsleys due to the vast amounts of snow we've received. I have not even attempted to ride in several weeks. Last winter I was able to ride more.

I hope you get more rideable days! I'm still looking for my first of the new year...

mtbr member
    UP dude- those are great. Thanks for sharing.
    Mike (former MI resident and frequent UP visitor)