We're going down WHAT??

'06 Fox Float R on Moment

Anyone try using a Fox Float R on an Ellsworth Moment? It doesn't have a ton of adjustability, but I was never one to adjust the heck outta my shocks for the most part. (Usually just dial it in as good as possible the first time and then forget about it until I need to clean it or the ride quality changes..) Anyhow, if you have tried this setup give me a clue. BTW this is a 2006 Fox Float R ProPedal 7.875"x2.25" that I am looking to purchase. The price is pretty damn good.... (new for $159.00!)
    "Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Time is not a road.
    Just the RP23...it's great. I don't miss the DHX coil at all. I really only go back and forth between PP on and off at level "1". I don't really mess with the other setting - I use it as sort of a lockout for climbing, though that's not always necessary and sometimes it's nice to have a more active rear when climbing techy terrain.

I think the Float would be a good "fire and forget it" choice of shock.

We're going down WHAT??

Sweet....

Chad, I was able to pick up a 2006 Float R for $159.00 at CambriaBike.com It is actually the correct size at 7.875"x2.25" so I will be getting the full travel. Not too bad huh? I see that it doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but at that price, I just couldnt look away. Just completed my purchase a couple of minutes ago. I'll give you all the update as to how it rides once I get it later this week.
    - Charlton Heston

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I've got a Float R on my Moment (the Ells tuned one- atleast it has an Ells sticker on it- i think it just has minimal propedal ) and i would say for the most part it is very good. It's the 2" stroke so only getting 5" or so travel, but for general trail riding it is enough. The DHX coil feels sumptuous on the bigger hits by comparison, but i don't expect miracles- its giving less travel and it's air. If i'm travelling somewhere and i know it's going to be rough, then i might put the coil back on just for the trip. There's a big weight difference, the air is .59Ib/ 270g and the coil is 1.8Ib/ 820g- so it's a lot of weight to carry around if you don't really need it. It's nice to have both! although i wish the Float R had 2.25" stroke like yours will. Enjoy.

No matter what price you are getting the shock for, it is the one i would choose. The bike doesn't need a lockout and by all accounts the DHX air blows through its mid stroke too easily anyhow.
    Last edited by A MAN CALLED HORSE; 03-20-2007 at 04:27 PM.
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

Silver bullet
    I have and 05 Moment which is supposedly the same as the 06 frame. When I bought it I called Ells to ask about the shock and they recommended the Float R instead of the RP3 because of the way the bike is designed. I'm not one for playing with levers and buttons while I'm riding...I just tweak the pressure and set the rebound for general stuff and ride it. The shock works fine for me.

I've had it for two seasons now so I sent it to Push and they offered to extend the travel so I would get a full 6 inches of travel for $25. I went for it but I haven't had a chance to test yet because we're still snowed in. Can't wait to see dirt on the ground!

We're going down WHAT??

yeah, it seems like a good fit

I just spoke to a guy who used to work with Ellsworth and he was telling me that this shock is preferred over the RP23 or RP3 on the Moment. Mostly due to the suspension design and the limited amount of Pro-pedal settings. He called Fox for me and they did not make this shock as a re-sell shock in this size with this stroke. They have produced this as a OEM shock on a few bikes. Knowing Cambria Bike (whom I purchased this from), this is probably a take-off of one of their bikes. Either way, I am totally stoked on this. I expect it to be sitting on my doorstep by Thursday!! Sweet! I'll give a ride update as soon as I get it.

JSK
    - Charlton Heston

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm looking to get a Float R too jon, so will be interested to see how you get on. Of course I'll keep the Coil for my Alpine trips!
    "[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]but I do not see anything in the world of suspension methods that is superior to the 4 Bar.

Dave Turner[/SIZE][/SIZE]

We're going down WHAT??

New Shock Ride Report

OK, I have now mounted the new shock ('06 Fox Float R 7.875"x2.25") to my Moment. I have the shock pressure set up for the correct sag. At first when I am riding, I immediately notice that it is very stiff in therear of the bike and that there is a lot less sag than on my DHX Coil. (I know my stock coil is too soft a rate for my weight with Camelback.) I also notice that the bike rides a ton taller because of this. I ride about 1/2 my ride (Sycamore Canyon/Martha's Grove, Off Camber Trail) with the shock set up "for my weight" during the night before. I dedcide to re-check this on the trail since there is very little small bump absorbance. I now notice that the sag is about 1/2 as much as it should be. I remove some of the air from the main chamber and dial it in to the correct sag. Now the bike rides a ton beter but still nowhere near as plush as the coil. On a positive note, this thing pedals much, much more effectively when out of the saddle. Is is very smooth over the jumps and is much easier to handle and throw around when in the air due to the decreased un-sprung weight of the bike. I measured the weight of the two shocks and caluculated about a 1.5lb weight savings. I will continue to toy with the pressure until I get the best possible ride quality without bottoming out the shock. Again, I do fel the bike being much more responsive to quick stabbs at the pedals for hard accelleration. It is lighter, flickable and looks really cool. On the other hand, not as plush over the smaller stuff or the babyheads (which I really loved about my bike.) give me a chance to actually dial it in better and I will give a much more objective report.....
    - Charlton Heston

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jonsocal
    OK, I have now mounted the new shock ('06 Fox Float R 7.875"x2.25") to my Moment. I have the shock pressure set up for the correct sag. At first when I am riding, I immediately notice that it is very stiff in therear of the bike and that there is a lot less sag than on my DHX Coil. (I know my stock coil is too soft a rate for my weight with Camelback.) I also notice that the bike rides a ton taller because of this. I ride about 1/2 my ride (Sycamore Canyon/Martha's Grove, Off Camber Trail) with the shock set up "for my weight" during the night before. I dedcide to re-check this on the trail since there is very little small bump absorbance. I now notice that the sag is about 1/2 as much as it should be. I remove some of the air from the main chamber and dial it in to the correct sag. Now the bike rides a ton beter but still nowhere near as plush as the coil. On a positive note, this thing pedals much, much more effectively when out of the saddle. Is is very smooth over the jumps and is much easier to handle and throw around when in the air due to the decreased un-sprung weight of the bike. I measured the weight of the two shocks and caluculated about a 1.5lb weight savings. I will continue to toy with the pressure until I get the best possible ride quality without bottoming out the shock. Again, I do fel the bike being much more responsive to quick stabbs at the pedals for hard accelleration. It is lighter, flickable and looks really cool. On the other hand, not as plush over the smaller stuff or the babyheads (which I really loved about my bike.) give me a chance to actually dial it in better and I will give a much more objective report.....
    Thanks for the info jon. I reckon you could transform the shock performance by getting it PUSH'ed.
    "[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]but I do not see anything in the world of suspension methods that is superior to the 4 Bar.

Dave Turner[/SIZE][/SIZE]

We're going down WHAT??

PUSHed??

Yeah, I am figuring that I may be sending this shock out to the guys out at PUSH Industries. I will toy with it a bit more and see if I can get it to ride to my satisfaction. If not, I will send it out and see whatthey can do to it. At this point, I will give it a few more rides and then race it at the 24HOA (Hurkey Creek) and see how I like it then. I figure I will know for sure what is going on with the shock by the end of that event. (No, I am NOT going to ride solo.... 4 person team, I ain't got what it takes to atempt a solo run!)
    - Charlton Heston