mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Your Guess on which trail will rideable first - Torrance Barnes?

Like everyone else, itching to do a trail ride but at the same time don't want to do unnecesary trail damage. Prob 2-3 weeks we should be good.

Whats your vote on which trails, drain the best and should be ready to ride first.

I will throw Torrance Barnes in the hat, never ridden there but I've heard its all rock and open to the sky, may be some one local could confrm the trail conditions.

So what do you guys think.... I know one that won't be top of list Albion Hills.

Nice day for a ride.....
    Turkey Point drys up really fast cause of its sandy base, it just absorbs the water as fast as it can melt. No one seems to know where it is or has not heard about it, which is too bad cause its a great place to camp/ride/beach/party in the summer. I'm planning on riding there next weekend as long as the weather is good. The trails might need some work though, so I'll take along my folding saw and fix things up a bit. Gotta take care of the home turf ya know? hehehe.
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

IMBA-GORBA Bike Patrol

Dufferin Forest

Anyone up that way that can give an update?
    ENJOY LIFE RIDE A BIKE
    Blur XC black
    Chameleon gray
    Nomad Black
    V10 black
    True North 853

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by trailhunter
    Like everyone else, itching to do a trail ride but at the same time don't want to do unnecesary trail damage. Prob 2-3 weeks we should be good.

Whats your vote on which trails, drain the best and should be ready to ride first.

I will throw Torrance Barnes in the hat, never ridden there but I've heard its all rock and open to the sky, may be some one local could confrm the trail conditions.

So what do you guys think.... I know one that won't be top of list Albion Hills.

I've always found Durham Forrest to be one of the first to be ridable. The sand that everyone hates so much also seems to help with drainage. Has anyone checked out Durham in the last few days?

Muskoka
    Torrance Barrens will be best early season in Muskoka, I always start my off road season there. But its too soon this week. We still have lots of snow in the bush here. I may check it out next weekend, or the weekend after for sure. A pic from my road ride today. People from southern Ontario have been phoning Mike at Buckwallow already this weekend asking if he's open
    our Barrens group ride from last fall....
    The Barrens Group Ride (pics)

Calm Like a Bomb
    ^^wow, u still have lots of snow there...we were lucky this winter with regards to snow fall
    V-10c (custom)
    Nomadc (custom)

NormalNorm
    Yeah, thats brutal. Agreed, I thought that Southern Ontario had alot of snow. Hopefully this week alot of it melts.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    No, WE were lucky here in Muskoka. 540 cm according to Environment Canada.
    Day 88 of skiing yesterday - Earning my turns at Hidden Valley (closed for the season
    - lack of people, not lack of snow.) My wife was XC skiing at Arrowhead both days.
    (also "closed" but open for those willing to hike in from the gate.)
    Best of all, skiing followed by a quickie road ride. From the looks of the snow pack,
    we'll be able to do the ski/ride thing here in North Muskoka for the next few weeks.

I sure feel sorry for the people in the Shitty.

David S.

Single speed

Tremont, Stewart Green and Alphies Trough in st.kitts

Hey All,
    I just got back from my rootbeer creek run. 30km crushed gravel and singletrack ride.
    I start downtown by the whitehouse of rock. Hit the trail under the bridge, over the footbridge. A great little blast of adrenaline to start the ride off. after the foot bridge turn left on the crushed gravel over to Geneva st. and over to centennial park. take the crushed gravel on the other side of the creek all the way up to Bradly st trails.up the crushed gravel past Glendale rd . Blast around on the labryinth of singletrack trails in there. WICKED FUN
    Then road it over to Tremont timmies and up the hill to Tremont Trails. The trails are just about perfect. I left nary a footprint on the trail. Even with the cross tires still on.
    I took that over to Glenridge hill and up to the top of Stewart green trail. Down there was fun.
    I hit the half way point at the crushed gravel foot path up to Alphies trough. Mash it up that hill 1/2 way and come back down and cut through the field by the field house to Lockheart dr. It looks like the lower part of Stewart Green trail is still very wet.
    Road it over to Hydro Hill. recover a bit then blast it up the hill. It took me 2 minutes 33 seconds to climb the hill with my SS gear ratio of 38X15. Recover a bit up there then hit Alphies trough upper and lower trails. Also in great shape. Lower going east and upper coming back to the switch back cut over to Hydro hill 1/2 way and sprint up to the top again. road it out to the student residents and cut through Brock over to Glenridge. I hit 67km/h going down the hill. And just roaded it back to down town.

A good mix of hills and trails.
    It was refreshing to get some speed on Tremont single track and I just love blasting along the ridge at Alphie's trough.

Anyone looking to hit the trails should check it out before the next rain comes.

I'll be getting out and doing this loop again later this week if anyone wants a guided tour.
    I'm on afternoons this week so it'll be after 9 am and before 12.
    PM me if your interested

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RatchAttack
    Turkey Point drys up really fast cause of its sandy base, it just absorbs the water as fast as it can melt. No one seems to know where it is or has not heard about it, which is too bad cause its a great place to camp/ride/beach/party in the summer. I'm planning on riding there next weekend as long as the weather is good. The trails might need some work though, so I'll take along my folding saw and fix things up a bit. Gotta take care of the home turf ya know? hehehe.
    Saw your trail pics in your recent post, trails look good and the air bike guitar thing had me in stitches.

Not knowing where the trail is I googled it - to confirm its near Norfolk area? actual provincial park area? Dam far from me, but who knows.... gotta get out somehow.

Nice day for a ride.....
    Quote Originally Posted by trailhunter
    Saw your trail pics in your recent post, trails look good and the air bike guitar thing had me in stitches.

Not knowing where the trail is I googled it - to confirm its near Norfolk area? actual provincial park area? Dam far from me, but who knows.... gotta get out somehow.
    It is in Norfolk county, the trails start from the provincial park and go deep into some crown land. If you've never been there before it can be a little confusing trying to find the singletrack but it is in there, its well hidden from the dirtbike/atv crowd that also use some of the area. I'd recommend going with someone who knows the area for your first time out there. Great place in the summer for biking / camping / beaching.
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

Keep pedaling...
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RatchAttack
    I'm new, and need to go riding ASAP.

Where exactly in Turkey Point are the trails?

Nice day for a ride.....
    Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626
    I'm new, and need to go riding ASAP.

Where exactly in Turkey Point are the trails?
    Its best to start at the provincial park and get onto the Fin and Feather trail, which leads to the Rainbow Ridge trail, which has a singletrack spur leading off of it to all the really good stuff. It will be very confusing if your going alone your first time and you may not even find the good trails at all. I've been riding there for many years now and for the first two years I was always finding new trails until I had explored everything.

There is going to be a group ride there on Sunday the 13th if your interested PM me.
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike