mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Your Fender opinions

I searched and wasn't able to find a thread dedicated to just Fenders. I apologize in advance if there is one.

I started doing the odd race last year, I really enjoyed them. However the only nagging issue that plagued me was my choice of fenders. During the first race I had to put my rear fender in my backpack due to it breaking, and on the next race my front fender kept falling to the side allowing the mud to still fling up and hit me in the face.

So my question is this, what fender would you recommend? Im sure with the wealth of knowledge on here someone would have a great option.

Evil Jr.
    I don't think I've ever done a race with fenders. However, for "plain" riding at this time of the year (or in wet/sloppy conditions in general), I have a Deflector Shield on my down tube and and clip-on MEC rear fender.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Lemmy Rules!
    Likewise. I don't race with fenders and don't really know anyone who does.
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    Likewise. I don't race with fenders and don't really know anyone who does.
    During the 2012 P2A I came upon (or someone came upon me) that had fenders. That was the year it was raining steadily all morning until about 15 minutes before the start of the race. After eating grit for a good chunk of the race, it was a nice relief to draft behind him for a while.

Other than that, have never seen some being used, or used them myself. Feel free to use them however, depending on the race, the people around you might really appreciate it! You probably won't notice much difference however and likely only things will go wrong with them.

mtbr member
    I've seen some good and bad set-ups.
    After some research I bought an SKS ShockBlade II front and X-Blade II rear for 29" wheels.

They go on and off in 2 seconds and being on my hardtail half the time put up with a ton of abuse without any issues shifting or falling off at all. They keep me perfectly clean from the knee up.

With that being said, the only advantage to me is not having to either wash my outerwear every ride or put on muddy gear each ride.

GTA
    Ontario

sheep in FOX clothing
    ^^^ I use a similar set-up for MTB commuting in the winter with a 1999-vintage THE fender on the front.

I have a full-length set of fenders for my cross bike that I almost never use (since the brakes suck in the rain on that bike).

In races I use nothing, but I can see the benefit of a rear-clip-on to keep your shorts dry if you're not jumping on and off the bike mid-race.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    It's too bad all bikes don't come with fenders from the factory. Then, by now, they would be something sleek and integrated, a la, motocrossers, rather than the clip-on,one-size-fits-all-yet-looks-as-flimsy-as-an-umbrella compromises we're stuck with.
    That being said, I run the Mucky Nutz Bender Fenders, front and rear on my Tallboys. I run the rear one in the chain-stay yoke, as it keeps mud, shrit and goo from packing into the lower VPP link.

mtbr member

RE: Your Fender opinions

Mucky nutz is a good stealthy option. I have use two myself. Retails at MEC.
    Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

Lemmy Rules!
    I've always been more of a Les Paul guy myself
    Strava made me do it....

snowbound
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kOALApLOW View Post
    It's too bad all bikes don't come with fenders from the factory.
    That made me think of walking through Dukes or McBride way back, and seeing bikes like this on the floor..
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    For the front something like a Neoguard on the fork and a Crud Catcher on the down tube.

For the rear, best I have seen is a modified old school rear fender.
    If you hurt in your efforts and suffer painful dings. Then you are doing it right.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Thanks guys. I have been on line and looked at all of your recommendations. I was happy to hear that hardly anyone used them in a race, I don't think I will this coming year either. I certainly will for casual riding though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Zoidberg View Post
    Mucky nutz is a good stealthy option. I have use two myself. Retails at MEC.
    Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express
    lots of guys use these on their DH bikes, both during races and regular rides. Im sure it will stand up to abuse, might actually pick one up myself

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by mudkingriggs View Post
    Thanks guys. I have been on line and looked at all of your recommendations. I was happy to hear that hardly anyone used them in a race, I don't think I will this coming year either. I certainly will for casual riding though.
    With the very greatest of respect, if you are out on a ride and the trail is so muddy you need fenders, you might want to think twice about riding there, for fear of damaging the trails. That said for roads, rail trails and gravel riding, I think fenders are a must-have in cr@ppy weather
    Strava made me do it....