mtbr member

Yank going to Deep River, Ontario, Canuckistan.

I'm going to Deep River, Ontario, near the Algonquin Provincial Park during the last week of July. Seeing as I don't like to fish, I'll need to find alternate ways of entertaining myself. Is there any riding around these parts?

Is it winter yet?
    May 2007
    Good news! You'll be just down the street from Chalk River, where the water isn't so deep, as much as it is heavy.

You're also north and east of Algonquin. That side of Agonquin is not as populated or popular as the Hwy 60 corridor - especially the southwest side. I don't know the answer to your question, but I hope you get one. I just wanted to make a heavy water reference.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I have heard of really good singletrack near Ottawa, and a lot of ATV trails in the other direction at Mattawa. Both about 2 hours away. Happy spinning.

Stosh
    If you happen to see my lungs back there, tell them I've gone on ahead.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stosh (Canada)
    I have heard of really good singletrack near Ottawa, and a lot of ATV trails in the other direction at Mattawa. Both about 2 hours away. Happy spinning.

Stosh
    Are you referring to Kanata Lakes? Great singletrack for sure but you've got to dig slower technical rock riding, not necessarily higher speed flow.

arc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I haven't rode them but there are trails in Deep River. There's a bike shop twenty minutes away in Petawawa called Gearheads that knows the area well. Really nice staff there that will give you all the info you need, and I think they run open group rides as well.

A little further south near the town of Beachburg, there's a company called Wilderness Tours that does whitewater rafting and kayaking on the Ottawa river. They have bike trails, but you'll probably have to pay to use them.

Hope you have your accommodations all sorted out, whenever they do work at the nuke plants up there, everything fills up fast. Be careful crossing the Ottawa river, as you will be in Quebec where French is the primary language. Est=east, Ouest=west and sortie is a highway exit, not a town.

Everyone's really friendly up there, just be prepared to hear where you American's got the technology for the atomic bomb over and over again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by HubbaMan
    Are you referring to Kanata Lakes? Great singletrack for sure but you've got to dig slower technical rock riding, not necessarily higher speed flow.
    Yes that is the one I was thinking about.
    There is was also riding in Gatineau about an hour further East in Quebec, or is that mostly DH with Lift access some of the time?

Stosh
    If you happen to see my lungs back there, tell them I've gone on ahead.

mtbr member
    Gearheads' site lists a Wednesday group ride. That sounds like a good start.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I actually live in Deep River, but unfortunately for you I'm a newb and haven't had a good chance to find all the trails around here.
    I've most rode on the ski trails in Deep River. If you like technical riding these are not for you. They are mostly wide and flat trails with no sharp turns and the occasional tree root.
    I have not been to the Forest Lea trails in Petawawa, but I'll probably be going there soon so I can get back to you on how they are.
    The trails along Hwy 60 through Algonquin park are quite a distance from Deep River. I haven't made it out to them either. I have heard that there are trails that you can ride on by going through the Baron Canyon entrance to the park (on the east side), but I can't confirm that.
    I agree with going to Gearheads to get more info. They are good people in there.

sru
    mtbr member
    None, stay at home.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by veryavgwhtguy
    I'm going to Deep River, Ontario, near the Algonquin Provincial Park during the last week of July. Seeing as I don't like to fish, I'll need to find alternate ways of entertaining myself. Is there any riding around these parts?
    Here is a start.

http://www.ontariotrailguide.com/

Any further local can be found with the locals. Though usually 12 year old single malt or a 6 pack of good beer is the usual accepted Baksheesh.

mtbr member

Forest Lee trails are good

When I head up to to visit the family up in the Ottawa Valley I always take my bike up and make it over to the end of Forest lee Rd. The trails are not at all like the trails in southern Ontario. They are really rocky and twisty not a lot of flow, but they are a lot of fun. Sometimes there is copies of maps right at the trail head, but really it is hard to get lost in there like I said the trails are all marked.
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Another thumbs up for the Forest Lea trails. Been there a few times and can't wait to go back.
    Some more info can be found here: www.ovmba.blogspot.com
    High on Life

mtbr member
    Thanks for the plug on Forest Lea trails. The next time I'm in Ottawa I'll make a point of heading up there to give it a go.

My main playground in Ottawa is Kanata Lakes, I gave up on the Gatineaus ages ago when most of the best trails became hiking only There are still many trails to ride but nowhere near as fun as the illegal stuff.

Gatineaus also have Camp Fortune which is fun for DH, no idea is they still have XC trails. They're open Wed nights & weekends over the summer.

sock puppet

thanks for making

a heavy water reference.

we, collectively, feel better now.

Alternatively, consider starting another thread on the same subject - which will allow you to make another heavy water reference.

Quote Originally Posted by chansen
    Good news! You'll be just down the street from Chalk River, where th

e water isn't so deep, as much as it is heavy.

You're also north and east of Algonquin. That side of Agonquin is not as populated or popular as the Hwy 60 corridor - especially the southwest side. I don't know the answer to your question, but I hope you get one. I just wanted to make a heavy water reference.

mtbr member
    I'm not exactly sure where deep river is but if it's within or near Algonquin Park then you gotta ride the Minnesing Trail. I forget which campground its next too (something with Lake in its name) but its one long trail with 4 different loops. With the 4th loop I think its something like 28km in length. On this site goto reviews>trails>ontario and search for Minnesing to see the reviews. We used to do it every year but this year switched up to a different location.

I'm not as familiar with eastern/northeastern ontario but aren't the references to Ottawa trails a bit out of the way for a location within or near Algonquin?

And yeah, Kanata Lakes is fun - my advice is stay high and ride down - easier to deal with all of the rocks that way.

mtbr member
    Oh yeah - wrt Minnesing, the 4th loop is the longest loop but also the crappiest section - mix of bog and rock DH. The ultimate reward is the halfway point being a picnic table and bridge between two small lakes with the park around you - fantastic view. Some say the third loop is the way to go but I've always just taken the 4th loop.

And depending on your skill level don't get too discouraged with the first 20 minutes of the ride - it gets easier. The last part is the best - fast DH back to the parking lot.

mtbr member
    Canuckistan? Really?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Zoidberg
    I'm not exactly sure where deep river is but if it's within or near Algonquin Park then you gotta ride the Minnesing Trail. I forget which campground its next too (something with Lake in its name) but its one long trail with 4 different loops. With the 4th loop I think its something like 28km in length. On this site goto reviews>trails>ontario and search for Minnesing to see the reviews. We used to do it every year but this year switched up to a different location.

I'm not as familiar with eastern/northeastern ontario but aren't the references to Ottawa trails a bit out of the way for a location within or near Algonquin?

And yeah, Kanata Lakes is fun - my advice is stay high and ride down - easier to deal with all of the rocks that way.
    Deep River is at the north-east corner of Algonquin. Driving to Minnesing would probably take about the same time as driving to Ottawa.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I'll be heading up there in two weeks..
    Can someone post better directions to forest lea?

Chad

m11
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Directions to the trail head and a map of the trails can be found here.

http://forestleatrails.blogspot.com/

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/trails-ar...4_4528crx.aspx

Some general information on riding in the area can be found here

http://www.ovmba.blogspot.com/

There is a group ride at forest lea every wednesday that starts at 6:45.