Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Muskoka

XC-ski centres opening up to fatbikes...

Nation's Largest XC Ski area opens to 'Fat Bikes' | Gear Review | Gear Junkie

In a local context, Hardwood Hills will be allowing fatbikes out on some of their trails during their night skiing hours. Others will no doubt "jump on"

humber river advocate
    awesome!
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

mtbr member
    more reasons to buy one
    Team Van Go

mtbr member
    Wow, great pictures!
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

sore member
    Nice photos.

Fat bike popularity surged last year in Ottawa. Lots were riding in South March Highlands.

Bikes are still banned from Gatineau Park -- a XC skier paradise -- during the winter months. There are some snowshoe trails in the park that I think bikes and snowshoers could successfully share if the NCC ever gets past their "bikes = evil" mindset.

pin it
    Gorgeous pics. i think it is great to see the popularity of this type bike surge.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ray.vermette View Post
    Nice photos.

Fat bike popularity surged last year in Ottawa. Lots were riding in South March Highlands.

Bikes are still banned from Gatineau Park -- a XC skier paradise -- during the winter months. There are some snowshoe trails in the park that I think bikes and snowshoers could successfully share if the NCC ever gets past their "bikes = evil" mindset.
    Pity the NCC see it this way. They have so much land in and around the Ottawa area that it could make a huge difference in the riding destinations & bike tourism for the city.

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by HubbaMan View Post
    Pity the NCC see it this way. They have so much land in and around the Ottawa area that it could make a huge difference in the riding destinations & bike tourism for the city.
    a fleet of fat tire bikes would make a great rental fleet as i've mentioned before.
    Support TORBA

Superflying on Haven
    Fat bike popularity surged last year in Ottawa. Lots were riding in South March Highlands. Bikes are still banned from Gatineau Park -- a XC skier paradise -- during the winter months. There are some snowshoe trails in the park that I think bikes and snowshoers could successfully share if the NCC ever gets past their "bikes = evil" mindset
    Good to know... I was about to call NCC to ask whether they would officially accept fat bikes on groomed trails as the larger wheels float like any ski or snowshoe. Actually, I would think the footprint would cause less damage than some skis that carve in the surface and leave deep scars... But that is only an assumption
    I never stopped trying hard and I succeeded... some times.

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by HubbaMan View Post
    there a few places that would work, i'm more tempted to buy a fat tire bike then cross country skis
    Support TORBA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ray.vermette View Post
    Nice photos.

Spoken like someone who doesn't XC ski. The bikes will wreck the tracks and make some areas unskiable especially after a good freezing rain, and then freeze again. I'm dreading skiing in areas that are not groomed like Hardwood everyday this year. Durham is going to not be fun at all.
    Last edited by Braids; 12-30-2012 at 07:42 PM. Reason: fixed missing "not"

Workin for the weekend!
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket View Post
    there a few places that would work, i'm more tempted to buy a fat tire bike then cross country skis
    Rentals would be an attractive option, I'm not interested in riding one only a handful of times for the $2k investment...

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Braids View Post
    Spoken like someone who doesn't XC ski. The bikes will wreck the tracks and make some areas unskiable especially after a good freezing rain, and then freeze again. I'm dreading skiing in areas that are groomed like Hardwood everyday this year. Durham is going to not be fun at all.
    AFAIK Hardwood will be only allowing fatbiking during night skiing hours and on a trial basis. Since they groom during the night the trails will be completely refreshed for the next day. The bikers should stay on the skate ski surface and not ride on the set tracks. When the skate surface is firmed up there will not be much if any imprint from a fat tire, and when it is very soft the imprint would not upset the stability of the ski. What I like about fatbiking is that it complements my skiing, great ski days with fresh snow are not the best for fatbiking and vice versa. There seem to be ski centres/clubs that have been doing this successfully in Minnesota/Idaho etc for some time and not just for night skiing.

I would be surprised to be honest if fatbiking at ski centres becomes very popular any time soon, so you may be overly concerned! Maybe it's just where I live, but there are many other riding options for fatbiking that I prefer over the xc-ski centres. And I will continue to go to the ski centres mostly to ski, not to ride my fatbike.

humber river advocate
    winter biking is gaining in popularity, and is part of the discussion for trail development. the operational costs of a multi use trail that is not groomed for nordic i suspect is a lot less. thus an attractive alternative as a cost saving measure where such trails don't generate incomes. injury incidents rates would also be lower if the figures are still the same from the last time i've checked so there might be an insurance break (has to be reviewed)
    Support TORBA

sore member
    Spoken like someone who doesn't XC ski. The bikes will wreck the tracks and make some areas unskiable especially after a good freezing rain, and then freeze again. I'm dreading skiing in areas that are groomed like Hardwood everyday this year. Durham is going to not be fun at all.
    I do XC ski. Classic, not skate, btw.

I agree, bikes would mess up the classic tracks. This is why I suggested sharing the snowshoe trails.

sore member
    @Menzo: get yourself out to South March Highlands in Kanata. Lots of fatbiking going on out there.

I <3 29ers
    Okay, well that's in Washington (no offense BCD!). How about something relevant/local?

TRCA jumping on the bandwagon???? I'd grab a Surly 1x1 and fatten that up no problem. I still wouldn't tread anywhere I see a skiier, but it'd make the single track a bit more fun i'm sure.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO View Post
    I'd grab a Surly 1x1 and fatten that up no problem. I still wouldn't tread anywhere I see a skiier, but it'd make the single track a bit more fun i'm sure.
    After seeing Capt Sydor today seeming to have no problem on even the untracked stuf. I see one maybe is feasible in the future.. especially since the dirt bags at On One have one available cheap.

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO View Post
    Okay, well that's in Washington (no offense BCD!). How about something relevant/local?

TRCA jumping on the bandwagon???? I'd grab a Surly 1x1 and fatten that up no problem. I still wouldn't tread anywhere I see a skiier, but it'd make the single track a bit more fun i'm sure.
    A multi use winter/summer biking trail as part of the Nashville tract trail plan is
    part of the discussion with the trca...
    Support TORBA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post
    AFAIK Hardwood will be only allowing fatbiking during night skiing hours and on a trial basis. Since they groom during the night the trails will be completely refreshed for the next day. The bikers should stay on the skate ski surface and not ride on the set tracks. When the skate surface is firmed up there will not be much if any imprint from a fat tire, and when it is very soft the imprint would not upset the stability of the ski. What I like about fatbiking is that it complements my skiing, great ski days with fresh snow are not the best for fatbiking and vice versa. There seem to be ski centres/clubs that have been doing this successfully in Minnesota/Idaho etc for some time and not just for night skiing.

I would be surprised to be honest if fatbiking at ski centres becomes very popular any time soon, so you may be overly concerned! Maybe it's just where I live, but there are many other riding options for fatbiking that I prefer over the xc-ski centres. And I will continue to go to the ski centres mostly to ski, not to ride my fatbike.
    I meant to say "not groomed like hardwood." I missed the "not." The places I'm concerned about are places that are NOT groomed, like Durham, and Glen Majors/Walker Woods. I am very happy to report that biking is NOT one of the permitted winter activities at Glen Majors and Walker Woods according to signage posted at the bell tower entrance. Seeing that sign on Saturday made me so happy! I did not see signage at Durham, but I did see bikes in the parking lot. Durham XC trails are a mess because of all the dog walkers anyway, so no loss.

With the crappy winters we have been getting in "southern" Ontario XC ski places will probably have to open up their trails to fat biking just to make a little bit of money. Does anybody know how many days Hardwood was open last year? I have no problem with it occurring on groomed trails because the damage will be repaired. I would prefer it didn't happen in non-groomed areas unless the fat bikers behave better than the snowshoers and equestrians.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

With the crappy winters we have been getting in "southern" Ontario XC ski places will probably have to open up their trails to fat biking just to make a little bit of money. Does anybody know how many days Hardwood was open last year? I have no problem with it occurring on groomed trails because the damage will be repaired. I would prefer it didn't happen in non-groomed areas unless the fat bikers behave better than the snowshoers and equestrians.
    You are aware you sound exactly like those who are against mountain bikes,

Now I think I'll get a fat bike.. And ride in ungroomed places because obviously by telling everyone it is wrong it must be fun.

Muskoka
    I meant to say "not groomed like hardwood." I missed the "not." The places I'm concerned about are places that are NOT groomed, like Durham, and Glen Majors/Walker Woods. I am very happy to report that biking is NOT one of the permitted winter activities at Glen Majors and Walker Woods according to signage posted at the bell tower entrance. Seeing that sign on Saturday made me so happy! I did not see signage at Durham, but I did see bikes in the parking lot. Durham XC trails are a mess because of all the dog walkers anyway, so no loss.

I'm not sure what you mean by not groomed xc trails. If they are not groomed then are they really xc-ski trails? Or do you mean they are track set merely by people 'skiing-in" tracks?

here are local Muskoka options
    a) xc-ski centres on private or park lands that groom & trackset and charge a fee. Owner/Operators disgression wether he will or won't allow fatbiking.

b) public conservation areas that have groomed & trackset trails by a club or the municipality that are free or donation based, typically post signage requesting that none skiing public stay off the trails...but have no legal recourse to prevent this from happening...hence dogs, horses, cyclists.

c) public multi-use trails & conservation areas that may or may not be groommed or trackset at all and are used by skiers, snowmobilers, snow shoers etc.

I agree bikes have no place on a) and b) under normal (soft) snow conditions although in the case of b) unfortunately I don't know what can actually be done to prevent people from trashing these trails.

However I consider c) to be wide open and these are the only types of trails that I fatbike on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by not groomed xc trails. If they are not groomed then are they really xc-ski trails? Or do you mean they are track set merely by people 'skiing-in" tracks?
    I mean track set by people merely skiing in them. I know you live up "north," so I don't know if you get the same problems that some of us get in the "south." I'm specifically talking about trails that are ruined after a freezing rain or warm weather that causes a bit of snow melt only to have it freeze again very quickly. The ski tracks are gone and you're basically just skiing on a three foot wide trail of ice now because the trail has been packed down by people walking on it.
    I don't like to ski on groomed trials because it's not as fun to me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    You are aware you sound exactly like those who are against mountain bikes,

Now I think I'll get a fat bike.. And ride in ungroomed places because obviously by telling everyone it is wrong it must be fun.
    You are aware you sound like one of those mountain bikers that get us banned from multi-use trails.

Save your money and just walk on any track set you find. Remember to ignore the signs at the trail heads that politely ask you to be mindful of the ski tracks though.
    Actually, could you rent a horse and do it? I would love to see them and their droppings banned from multi-use trails in Ontario. The only thing worse than horse **** on your tires is frozen horse **** on your skis.

humber river advocate
    I mean track set by people merely skiing in them. I know you live up "north," so I don't know if you get the same problems that some of us get in the "south." I'm specifically talking about trails that are ruined after a freezing rain or warm weather that causes a bit of snow melt only to have it freeze again very quickly. The ski tracks are gone and you're basically just skiing on a three foot wide trail of ice now because the trail has been packed down by people walking on it.
    I don't like to ski on groomed trials because it's not as fun to me.
    it's bad form to ride/walk in tracks that someone has been working on with their ski's all winter. palgrave is a great example
    Support TORBA

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast