Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Hair Boy View Post
    I just got back from the CTV session at Hard Wood and it was a great time. We even had an 84 year old woman take my bike for a short ride while wearing a mic so you can hear the excitement in her voice.
    Sweet!!... so I may have at least 23 yrs of fatbiking left in me
    I will be out and about with my dog at that time of day, probably Hardwood or CTV will have the clip available on their website at some point?
    http://picasaweb.google.com/BlackCanoeDog
    2011 Rocky Mountain Altitude 70 RSL
    2015 RSD Mayor...loves the white stuff!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post
    Sweet!!... so I may have at least 23 yrs of fatbiking left in me
    I will be out and about with my dog at that time of day, probably Hardwood or CTV will have the clip available on their website at some point?
    Should be on CTV Barrie's website tomorrow, also re-airs tonight at 11pm.

The footage of the 84 year old woman riding around the chalet was the best part. Riding a fatbike truly makes you feel like a kid again

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay. View Post
    It saddens me a bit to see classic skiing on the decline these days, had a lot of fun with it over the years.
    Me too, and I think this is largely due to the mild winters we have been getting for the past 5 yrs or so. This week is a prime example...highs of +8 and +9 when it should be minus that much.

I was very much on the fence about buying my fatbike in 2010, just because I do love to ski and I was skeptical as to how much use I would really get from the bike. As it has turned out, it has been a most excellent purchase . Poor ski days (of which there are now a great many) are often perfact for fatbiking, which I can do right from home. Also never realized at the time that I would also get a lot of pleasure from this bike riding it year round, not just in the winter.
    All that said, when conditions are ideal there is still nothing finer in my book than xc skiing... skate or classic!
    Last edited by BlackCanoeDog; 01-09-2013 at 06:41 PM.

mtbr member

No. Just No. Moderator
    Timely article - link below. Not that IMBA is the last and final word on everything, but guidelines seem generally sensible. Preaching to the choir in this thread, but if IMBA's name can help drive out the info to a lot of people;

IMBA Shares Fat Bike Best Practices | Cyclingnews.com

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Timely article - link below. Not that IMBA is the last and final word on everything, but guidelines seem generally sensible. Preaching to the choir in this thread, but if IMBA's name can help drive out the info to a lot of people;

IMBA Shares Fat Bike Best Practices | Cyclingnews.com

Good stuff, although I am undecided about keeping to the far right on sled trails. Personal experience tells me one is going to ride where ever traction, stability, and smoothness is best and that could be the sides or it could be the centre and will vary throughout the trail. Problem is with the tires rolling on the crunchy snow, the muffling effect of snow cover in the forest, and quieter sleds these days... one cannot hear sleds coming until they are surprisingly close! Also some of us (myself included) have moved away from the toque-under-bikehelmet lidwear to a snowboarding helmet. They are warm, light, and give better protection. They also cover the ears which muffles sound even further. Consequently my current thinking is to ride more to the left side of centre towards oncoming sleds much like a pedestrian walking ( fatbiking speeds are not high) and then moving all the way left when visual contact is made. Since one will likely see the sleds before one hears them in most situations with this approach you have more time to move over to the edge of the trail. Fortunately where I ride, sled traffic is not heavy, if we saw a dozen in a couple hours I would call that rush hour!

No. Just No. Moderator
    Why don't you write a note to IMBA with your comments below? You and your group must be on the upper tier of real-world winter fatbiking experience.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post
    Good stuff, although I am undecided about keeping to the far right on sled trails. Personal experience tells me one is going to ride where ever traction, stability, and smoothness is best and that could be the sides or it could be the centre and will vary throughout the trail. Problem is with the tires rolling on the crunchy snow, the muffling effect of snow cover in the forest, and quieter sleds these days... one cannot hear sleds coming until they are surprisingly close! Also some of us (myself included) have moved away from the toque-under-bikehelmet lidwear to a snowboarding helmet. They are warm, light, and give better protection. They also cover the ears which muffles sound even further. Consequently my current thinking is to ride more to the left side of centre towards oncoming sleds much like a pedestrian walking ( fatbiking speeds are not high) and then moving all the way left when visual contact is made. Since one will likely see the sleds before one hears them in most situations with this approach you have more time to move over to the edge of the trail. Fortunately where I ride, sled traffic is not heavy, if we saw a dozen in a couple hours I would call that rush hour!

All my faucets is Moen.
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    That's cool. Both literally and figuratively.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I thought some/most OFSC trails are actually not permitted for anything but snowmobile use during the winter season? I always stepped right off the trail to let them pass when I was skiing. How do they usually react when you are just at the side...? sounds like they're pretty cool about it. I never had any trouble hearing them way in advance though, sound carries when the leaves are down and the air is cold.

I'm thinking it would be interesting to put down your own trail through the woods if you had your own snowmobile, or access to one. Two or three passes with the snowmachine, keep it narrow, and it would ride more like singletrack than any OFSC trail.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay. View Post
    I thought some/most OFSC trails are actually not permitted for anything but snowmobile use during the winter season? I always stepped right off the trail to let them pass when I was skiing. How do they usually react when you are just at the side...? sounds like they're pretty cool about it. I never had any trouble hearing them way in advance though, sound carries when the leaves are down and the air is cold.

I'm thinking it would be interesting to put down your own trail through the woods if you had your own snowmobile, or access to one. Two or three passes with the snowmachine, keep it narrow, and it would ride more like singletrack than any OFSC trail.
    You are right, my favourite type of trail is where someone has slowly meandered through the woods on a snowmobile, and I have a bit of that in my 'hood. Not nearly enough however, nor do I have sled and a few hundred acres of my own to do that...unfortunately!

Trust me, the groomed sled trails are great fun when conditions are right, and give access to hours of great riding..

As to OFSC trails, many of the clubs are grooming on multi use trails in my area, as well as the TCT, the TCPL, crown lands, etc. These trails are just that, multi-use and the clubs do not have exclusivity. These are the trails that I ride on, as well as on the lakes where sleds run, no exclusivity there either...

The only trails that they do have exclusivity is on private lands where the club has been granted permission to cross by the landowner. And even on those, only the landowner can charge you with trespassing, not the club itself...would never stand up in court. That is how it was all explained to me by an OPP officer that I know who actually patrols the trails in winter.

LBS Manager
    The rental bikes we have at Hard Wood ski and bike can also be rented on weekends at the Bike Zone in Barrie.

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Hair Boy View Post
    The rental bikes we have at Hard Wood ski and bike can also be rented on weekends at the Bike Zone in Barrie.
    What sizes do you have at the shop?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pucker Factor View Post
    What sizes do you have at the shop?
    There's a medium Pugsley and a medium 9 Zero 7.

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    Quote Originally Posted by Merdoff View Post
    There's a medium Pugsley and a medium 9 Zero 7.
    Thanks. I think the girlfriend needs an x-small...was hoping they would have one she could try.

mtbr member
    Anyone know if Hardwood will reopen for night riding this week?
    Site says night skiing is cancelled, only open till 5pm.
    A few of us planned on bringing the fatbikes up to ride the trails at Hardwood Friday night and then head up to Huntsville to ride on Saturday.
    14 True North Ti Fatty/29+(Paragon sliders)
    12 True North steel 29er (Paragon sliders)
    09Salsa Fargo
    08 Surly Big Dummy

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Hustler View Post
    A few of us planned on bringing the fatbikes up to ride the trails at Hardwood Friday night and then head up to Huntsville to ride on Saturday.
    I don't know, best give them a call. But conditions should be excellent with the colder temperatures this week. The skiing may be crap, but the fatbiking will be primo!
    Where in Huntsville are you riding btw??

mtbr member
    Confirmed with John from HH that they are closed the rest of this week to night skiing/fatbiking. I guess the conditions are too icy.

Muskoka

Skiers and bikers share...

if it wasn't stated otherwise, I could have believed this clip was shot at Horseshoe XC,
    it looks like very similar trails and terrain!

mtbr member
    Confirmed with John from HH that they are closed the rest of this week to night skiing/fatbiking. I guess the conditions are too icy.
    Thanks Merdoff, looks like I will have to reschedule the ride at hardwood and trip up north for another weekend.

Bert, I didn't have an exact ride destination picked out yet.
    Jeff mentioned that you may have time to show off your local trails, and also I contacted Brandon and he mentioned that if he was available to ride, he would be interested in coming out.
    Was kind of hoping to do a group fatbike ride.

Now all we need is snow..
    Come on old man winter !
    14 True North Ti Fatty/29+(Paragon sliders)
    12 True North steel 29er (Paragon sliders)
    09Salsa Fargo
    08 Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Thanks Merdoff, looks like I will have to reschedule the ride at hardwood and trip up north for another weekend.

Bert, I didn't have an exact ride destination picked out yet.
    Jeff mentioned that you may have time to show off your local trails, and also I contacted Brandon and he mentioned that if he was available to ride, he would be interested in coming out.
    Was kind of hoping to do a group fatbike ride.

Now all we need is snow..
    Come on old man winter !
    Snow is on it's way (at least up here in the Barrie area). There are flurries in the forecast pretty much every day next week. Perfect timing since I'm off next week .
    Post up if you pick a different weekend, I'd drive to Bracebride. Had 1 ride with Bert and the crew this winter but unfortunately Brandon couldn't make it.

mtbr member

Meanwhile in the Nation's Capital....

No fat bikes in Gatineau Park - CBC News: Ottawa at 6:00 - CBC Player

Good 'ol CBC, stirring up crap between cyclists and non-cyclists. Why can't we all just get along and share like they taught us in Kindergarten?

mtbr member
    Here's the link to the footage that The Weather Network filmed at Hardwood hills a few weeks ago

The Lighter Side of Winter - Hardwood Hills, Ontario - YouTube

Muskoka
    Here's the link to the footage that The Weather Network filmed at Hardwood hills a few weeks ago

The Lighter Side of Winter - Hardwood Hills, Ontario - YouTube
    Nice!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3