Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Braids View Post
    I mean track set by people merely skiing in them. I know you live up "north," so I don't know if you get the same problems that some of us get in the "south." I'm specifically talking about trails that are ruined after a freezing rain or warm weather that causes a bit of snow melt only to have it freeze again very quickly. The ski tracks are gone and you're basically just skiing on a three foot wide trail of ice now because the trail has been packed down by people walking on it.
    I don't like to ski on groomed trials because it's not as fun to me.
    See the problem with this view is one person happens to ski any trail that is never groomed. Then it becomes others wrecked tracks. Everyone is evil silliness. Does that mean when I got to ungroomed CB and ski today I should get upset about people walking on it later on in the day? Nope.

Now in regards to fat bikes. Gee, all this sounds similar to a previous new thing on snow everyone got up in arms about. The snowboard. I recall when they came out how people went own about how they wrecked runs and anything else that could be thought of. Name calling and physical altercations. And the biggest bunch of jerks in it all? Skiers. So now we have fat bikes as the winter XC version of the snowboard. And it begins again now it's fat bikes that are the great evil.

Yep, it's winter in Canada.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Depression...can eat a sack of manure and die.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Braids View Post
    I mean track set by people merely skiing in them. I know you live up "north," so I don't know if you get the same problems that some of us get in the "south." I'm specifically talking about trails that are ruined after a freezing rain or warm weather that causes a bit of snow melt only to have it freeze again very quickly. The ski tracks are gone and you're basically just skiing on a three foot wide trail of ice now because the trail has been packed down by people walking on it.
    I don't like to ski on groomed trials because it's not as fun to me.
    Reads like you are skiing a trail that falls into catagory c) as I outlined above. Since this seems to be an ungroomed multi-use trail system what I personally would do is ski it on the days when skiing is good, and also have a fatbike for all those other times as you described which make for lousy skiing anyway but are actually great for fatbiking!

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by not groomed xc trails. If they are not groomed then are they really xc-ski trails? Or do you mean they are track set merely by people 'skiing-in" tracks?

here are local Muskoka options
    a) xc-ski centres on private or park lands that groom & trackset and charge a fee. Owner/Operators disgression wether he will or won't allow fatbiking.

b) public conservation areas that have groomed & trackset trails by a club or the municipality that are free or donation based, typically post signage requesting that none skiing public stay off the trails...but have no legal recourse to prevent this from happening...hence dogs, horses, cyclists.

c) public multi-use trails & conservation areas that may or may not be groommed or trackset at all and are used by skiers, snowmobilers, snow shoers etc.

I agree bikes have no place on a) and b) under normal (soft) snow conditions although in the case of b) unfortunately I don't know what can actually be done to prevent people from trashing these trails.

However I consider c) to be wide open and these are the only types of trails that I fatbike on.
    you summed it up very well blackcanoedog...
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

mtbr member
    Hardwood Hills Facebook page has a pic of JHB, their 1st fatbiker after a ride on their trails.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hardw...ke/47385438639

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Merdoff View Post
    Hardwood Hills Facebook page has a pic of JHB, their 1st fatbiker after a ride on their trails.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hardw...ke/47385438639
    Cool!! Mer, was that a night ride or did they let him on during day hours?

mtbr member
    Cool!! Mer, was that a night ride or did they let him on during day hours?
    John S invited him out to test a few of the trails. John & I are both going tomorrow late aft/early evening to test a few more trails. They're not officially open to the public (fatbikes) yet but will be shortly. I'll try to snap a few more shots on the trail and John S is taking his GoPro (he's taking our rental bike). Should be fun.

LBS Manager
    You couldn't ask for a better surface to ride a fatbike on. I was able to get into the highest gears on the bike and absolutely haul a$$. The handling was that of almost riding in the summer. The woodchip climb was actually easier & faster than in the summer. Their trying to figure out which trails will be open to fatbikes & should be disclosed soon. There will be a rental bike at HH's provided by the Bike Zone (medium 9 Zero 7).

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    sounds great

from Hardwoods twitter today "-5 & snowing at 6 am Open til 8 for skiing & Fat Bikes tonight. 26 km packed & tracked. Trails will be snow covered with new snow falling"

sounds like there open to fat bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by swabag View Post
    sounds great

from Hardwoods twitter today "-5 & snowing at 6 am Open til 8 for skiing & Fat Bikes tonight. 26 km packed & tracked. Trails will be snow covered with new snow falling"

sounds like there open to fat bikes

You're correct, their website also states effective today fatbikes are permitted but after 4pm, I assumed because the facebook page stated details to follow it wasn't firmed up yet. Great news!

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Hair Boy View Post
    You couldn't ask for a better surface to ride a fatbike on. I was able to get into the highest gears on the bike and absolutely haul a$$. The handling was that of almost riding in the summer. The woodchip climb was actually easier & faster than in the summer. Their trying to figure out which trails will be open to fatbikes & should be disclosed soon. There will be a rental bike at HH's provided by the Bike Zone (medium 9 Zero 7).
    Were you riding in the space groomed for skating?
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Yes, however, they are only allowing fatbikes from 4-8pm Monday through Friday. We were there last night and the conditions were perfect. Anyone living in the Simcoe county area, Rogers channel 10 took a small amount of footage which is airing tonight at 6:30pm channel 10 in Barrie.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Hair Boy View Post
    You couldn't ask for a better surface to ride a fatbike on. I was able to get into the highest gears on the bike and absolutely haul a$$.
    John, just wait until mid Feb and beyond when warmer daytime temperatures thaws the surface and then it refeezes and firms up again after the sun goes down. The only thing more fun than riding a fatbike on that is to skate ski on it!

LBS Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    They are asking that everyone stay on the skate surface and off the tracks for classic skiing which is easy as they are way over to the right hand side of the trail. They groom the trail every night so there is always a nice fresh surface. They said they will allow anyone with experience riding in snow on the snow shoe trails as well. I checked them out and most of it looks good with the exception of a few climbs that are probably to steep but they are short ones.

No. Just No. Moderator
    Well, it's not much to do with XC ski centres, but just to mix things up a bit I took this shot on Ft. Myers beach in Florida a couple of days ago. Not sure if one of the local shops had these as part of their rental fleet, or else if the riders owned the bikes. Guessing the former.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XC-ski centres opening up to fatbikes...-flfatbikes.jpg  

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Well, it's not much to do with XC ski centres, but just to mix things up a bit I took this shot on Ft. Myers beach in Florida a couple of days ago. Not sure if one of the local shops had these as part of their rental fleet, or else if the riders owned the bikes. Guessing the former.
    Hhhmmmmmm.....
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Depression...can eat a sack of manure and die.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    I had just come in from an hour of snowshoeing through woodlands under the night sky, and saw this The stark contrast between my activity and this scene makes it very appealing

No. Just No. Moderator
    I had just come in from an hour of snowshoeing through woodlands under the night sky, and saw this The stark contrast between my activity and this scene makes it very appealing
    Variety is the spice of life!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    It saddens me a bit to see classic skiing on the decline these days, had a lot of fun with it over the years. I still think Kolapore for example is better on skis than on a bike. When snowshoeing went big, the snowshoers would go there and trample down the 1st two or three km of trail, totally unaware that by design a snowshoe is a 'go-anywhere' thing that does not require a set trail in the first place! I get how fat bikes would be a good fit with a snowmobile float. With spring conditions can you really ride upon the crust without breaking though...? that would be cool.. however spring conditions were always my favourite for skiing too (klister!)

sore member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay. View Post
    When snowshoeing went big, the snowshoers would go there and trample down the 1st two or three km of trail, totally unaware that by design a snowshoe is a 'go-anywhere' thing that does not require a set trail in the first place!
    It seems most snowshoes being sold these days aren't nearly wide or long enough for serious go anywhere use. The trend is towards shorter snowshoes that you run with on a trail.

Are there signs at Kopalore indicating that the trail is ski-only, or asking other trail users to keep out of the classic tracks? I ask because I know as a classic skier that it's etiquette to not trample the trackset, but we shouldn't assume non-skiers know the etiquette.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay. View Post
    With spring conditions can you really ride upon the crust without breaking though...? that would be cool..
    OMG Yes!! We had about 3 consecutive weeks of 'Crust Riding" from mid Mar to early Apr in 2011. It was FABULOUS DARLING!!!

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    BCD...

Your pictures played a role in motivating me to get a fat bike this winter, and I can't overstate what a blast I'm having with it! Thanks for the great images!

On the topic of fat bikes on the trails, I think it's not much different than the kind of common sense we should all be using when we ride in the summertime...let's try to have the least amount of impact on the other trail users as possible, and take care not to damage anything as much as we can help it.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Pucker Factor View Post
    BCD...

Your pictures played a role in motivating me to get a fat bike this winter, and I can't overstate what a blast I'm having with it! Thanks for the great images!

On the topic of fat bikes on the trails, I think it's not much different than the kind of common sense we should all be using when we ride in the summertime...let's try to have the least amount of impact on the other trail users as possible, and take care not to damage anything as much as we can help it.
    Nice...thanks! I agree on the trails, and as one who also skis xc, I appreciate Kay's frustration but that is the reality of multi use trails. Those that love to ski typically frequent ski only facilities, often with considerable travel time. If one likes backcountry skiing and group travel, the Five Winds ski club is worth a look. The one thing impacting xc skiing most has been the milder winters with less snow here in the east.

sore member
    Fabulous photos as always, BCD. If I could give you more rep, I would.

mtbr member
    CTV Barrie is going to be at Hardwood Hills tomorrow afternoon taking footage of the XC ski trails in addition to the introduction of fatbikes being permitted on the trails.

LBS Manager
    I just got back from the CTV session at Hard Wood and it was a great time. We even had an 84 year old woman take my bike for a short ride while wearing a mic so you can hear the excitement in her voice. I spoke on camera about fat bikes as did John from Hard Wood and Rob from The Bike Zone. It is really exciting to see how fast the interest in fat bikes is growing its like 29ers 8 to 10 years ago. I hope this test project works out well for Hard Wood so next year maybe we can have weekend access. The Segment is going to air during the 6:00 news tonight on CTV Barrie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast