Results 1 to 41 of 41
  1. #1
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,288

    XC Marathon Championships

    July 27th at Sangers Farm.

    There is even a pump track near the barn for the non racers to play on.


    Ontario XCMarathon Championships J&J Kingston Trophy

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    124
    I hope they mark the course a little better. Last year was awful. I was with about 10 racers at the front of the group who all missed a 90° turn by at least 100m. Later in the race I found myself circling a field with 3 others looking for the trail.

    I loved the low key nature of the event, but for a championship race, it was a bit of a mess. Very annoying to lose a race due to something outside of ones control.

  3. #3
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,288
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnikcdn View Post
    I hope they mark the course a little better. Last year was awful. I was with about 10 racers at the front of the group who all missed a 90° turn by at least 100m. Later in the race I found myself circling a field with 3 others looking for the trail.

    I loved the low key nature of the event, but for a championship race, it was a bit of a mess. Very annoying to lose a race due to something outside of ones control.
    This brings up a question. Did you bring up this issue in the weeks after last years event with Dan?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    124
    I spoke with Dan right after the event. It's not like he didn't know what happened. He didn't seem very concerned and I was left with the impression that "that's just the way things work around here".

    Fair enough... and fine for most events, but unless I hear of improvements, I'm not going to drive 3 hours for a half-assed Provincial Championship race.

  5. #5
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,288
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnikcdn View Post
    I spoke with Dan right after the event. It's not like he didn't know what happened. He didn't seem very concerned and I was left with the impression that "that's just the way things work around here".

    Fair enough... and fine for most events, but unless I hear of improvements, I'm not going to drive 3 hours for a half-assed Provincial Championship race.
    So basically you spoke to the RD just after finishing about your issues and expected him to recall this while trying to do a million other things on the same day. Did you send an email? It sounds like you didn't as that would be the logical next step.

    Now, I would understand complaining about it being a crappy event if you returned this year and the marking was as bad as you claim it was in 2012. But then again not everyone is capable while racing of navigating trails that don't come with start to finish taping. But like anything some are better at that style of race while others are better at courses that require navigational skills at race pace.

    Reality is many that I have talked to who raced last year where able to navigate the course no problem. And these aren't locals.

    Mind you, there are racers who even if a course setter has taped every inch, barricaded all non course sections, arrowhead every inch, given cue cards, a GPS verbal navigation to every racer, and put up arrows ever 3 feet. Well, they will still complain they got lost.

  6. #6
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,288
    A new trail section was opened in the last week. Rumour is that Dan will be using it. And it is a whole new area.

    If anyone is coming up and wants a place to sleep over either the Friday or Saturday have space to take a couple of people at the house if anyone wants.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    So basically you spoke to the RD just after finishing about your issues and expected him to recall this while trying to do a million other things on the same day. Did you send an email? It sounds like you didn't as that would be the logical next step.
    Really?

    Dan knew the problem. I'm quite sure he's competent enough to remember and make this year's race better. It's not my responsibility however, because once was enough for me. Unless I hear he's made improvements, and I haven't, I'll continue to say what I think.

    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Now, I would understand complaining about it being a crappy event if you returned this year and the marking was as bad as you claim it was in 2012. But then again not everyone is capable while racing of navigating trails that don't come with start to finish taping. But like anything some are better at that style of race while others are better at courses that require navigational skills at race pace.

    Reality is many that I have talked to who raced last year where able to navigate the course no problem. And these aren't locals.
    Stop putting words into my mouth. I did NOT say it was a crappy event. On the contrary, I had fun. The poolside podium was hilarious and there were lots of nice people around. Clearly I didn't meet you...

    Good for those people you spoke with. Perhaps they weren't racing for a podium? It was certainly my first time racing in the region. We should not be expected to have to search for the race course, especially during a championship.

    Are navigational skills now required to be a mountain bike racer? Should we bring a compass and trail map if we don't have GPS? And please, I have enough racing experience and knowledge to be able to comment fairly on the quality of a race experience.

    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Mind you, there are racers who even if a course setter has taped every inch, barricaded all non course sections, arrowhead every inch, given cue cards, a GPS verbal navigation to every racer, and put up arrows ever 3 feet. Well, they will still complain they got lost.
    Seriously?

    My criticism is fair. I spoke to Dan at the time. I'm not going behind his back in public.

    Last year's course was inadequately marked for the standards required for a championship race. The results were affected.

    I hope he's made improvements. And I hope you have fun!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,195
    To be fair Enduramil, I got lost at a couple of xc marathon events in the past and I can understand sputnikcdn's frustrations. I also admit to have a terrible sense of direction so I take plenty of blame on myself too.

    It is the main reason I don't like "single loop" events. I would rather do 12-14 loops at an 8 hour race, than a single loop at a marathon.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

  9. #9
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,288
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnikcdn View Post
    Really?

    Dan knew the problem. I'm quite sure he's competent enough to remember and make this year's race better. It's not my responsibility however, because once was enough for me. Unless I hear he's made improvements, and I haven't, I'll continue to say what I think.



    Stop putting words into my mouth. I did NOT say it was a crappy event. On the contrary, I had fun. The poolside podium was hilarious and there were lots of nice people around. Clearly I didn't meet you...

    Good for those people you spoke with. Perhaps they weren't racing for a podium? It was certainly my first time racing in the region. We should not be expected to have to search for the race course, especially during a championship.

    Are navigational skills now required to be a mountain bike racer? Should we bring a compass and trail map if we don't have GPS? And please, I have enough racing experience and knowledge to be able to comment fairly on the quality of a race experience.



    Seriously?

    My criticism is fair. I spoke to Dan at the time. I'm not going behind his back in public.

    Last year's course was inadequately marked for the standards required for a championship race. The results were affected.

    I hope he's made improvements. And I hope you have fun!
    Your welcome to your opinion and it sucks that you got lost. Reality is you had a bad day which can happen to all.

    What I find interesting is I have posted others of Dan's races and you where silent about this. If you are so concerned about this as you claim why silence till now? I ask as obviously if your race was badly marked as you suggest then they all must be.

  10. #10
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,288
    Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post
    To be fair Enduramil, I got lost at a couple of xc marathon events in the past and I can understand sputnikcdn's frustrations. I also admit to have a terrible sense of direction so I take plenty of blame on myself too.

    It is the main reason I don't like "single loop" events. I would rather do 12-14 loops at an 8 hour race, than a single loop at a marathon.
    See, this is the fun of racing. Some enjoy multi lap courses while others enjoy those big loop types.

    Though at least Dan hasn't offered a Barkley Marathon style race.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    What I find interesting is I have posted others of Dan's races and you where silent about this. If you are so concerned about this as you claim why silence till now? I ask as obviously if your race was badly marked as you suggest then they all must be.
    Provincial Championships.

  12. #12
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,288
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnikcdn View Post
    Provincial Championships.
    Well, the reality is 99% successfully navigated the course and had a good day.

    Now onto more serious issues. What tires? Clip less or flats?

  13. #13
    Lemmy Rules!
    Reputation: Unglued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,770
    I've never got lost on one of Dan's races (but then again Sputnikcdn rides at a higher velocity than me) but I agree that a course should be clearly enough marked that finding your way is not an issue. It's an XC mountainbike race, not orienteering. If I was in first and missed a poorly marked turn on the trail, I would be p!ssed too....
    Strava made me do it....

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    360
    I've done three of these races and got lost at two of them while in the lead group. I'm considering this Kingston race. Hopefully things have improved in the couple years since I swore off this series. Big-loop races can be well-marked. Quebec is full of them.

  15. #15
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,288
    Complain all you want. Dan is the only RD who has stepped out of the comfort zone of the Toronto centric mtb race scene and actually wants to bring races to Eastern Ontario.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    360
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Complain all you want. Dan is the only RD who has stepped out of the comfort zone of the Toronto centric mtb race scene and actually wants to bring races to Eastern Ontario.
    Though you're not completely correct on this, I get the sentiment and I'm also glad to see more races happening outside the GTA. I'll give the race a try and now that you've given me the okay to complain I will most certainly do so if it's plagued by easily preventable problems. On the other hand, if the race runs smoothly I'll be happy to sing its praises. So there you go.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CptSydor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,627
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Complain all you want. Dan is the only RD who has stepped out of the comfort zone of the Toronto centric mtb race scene and actually wants to bring races to Eastern Ontario.
    Dan is providing a service that people are paying for. If people don't feel that service is up to the standard they expect for what they are paying, they have every right to question it.

    I don't get the impression people are complaining, rather stating that at times the events may not run as smooth as they expect/desire. I've seen no one be malicious, nor given what I've heard from people/experienced are they being unreasonable in their documentation of what occurs. It seems like people end up off course. It seems people don't like that. It seems like people will question going if there is the potential to get off track. Pretty simple.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CptSydor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,627
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Complain all you want. Dan is the only RD who has stepped out of the comfort zone of the Toronto centric mtb race scene and actually wants to bring races to Eastern Ontario.
    And reality is, just because you decided to become the only seafood monger in Saskatchewan doesn't mean people have to buy your lobster if it ain't fresh.

  19. #19
    Ms. Monster
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,812
    Dan puts on a great product that no one else provides (long courses; different locations; relaxed atmosphere). He's also running on a shoe string, and it sometimes shows. I know in a couple of cases, locals removed some trail markers; sometimes there hasn't been quite enough support. I understand both the loyalty/appreciation and the criticisms. I liked (most of) the races he put on. I hope others support him and help get even better.

  20. #20
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,288
    Taking a page from the Guitar Ted race advice methodology...

    Deer flies and Mosquitos are bad in the area this year. Bring the appropriate repellant and pick the appropriate tire set up that will decrease chances of flats. If you don't the bugs can have at you.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,195
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Taking a page from the Guitar Ted race advice methodology...

    Deer flies and Mosquitos are bad in the area this year. Bring the appropriate repellant and pick the appropriate tire set up that will decrease chances of flats. If you don't the bugs can have at you.
    But this won't prevent you from getting lost.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

  22. #22
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,288
    Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post
    But this won't prevent you from getting lost.
    Well...we are help you with that. With the appropriate pre start donation for the Beta as rock climbers call that. According to exchange rates, currency conversion, and checking with the Team NFI accounting team...the going rate is Highland Brewing.

    And one never gets lost. They are just simply relocating.

  23. #23
    snowbound
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    238
    I raced Dan's long sock classic at the Ganny in May. I have never seen a better marked big loop race (and I am including NUE series races), so many arrows. Big X's on single track to show if you happened to take a wrong turn. Even with that excellent marking, I ran into two guys that had somehow missed a turn and went way off course.

  24. #24
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,288
    I should point something out about the venue.Kingston government is very unfriendly to mountain bikes. There is zilch for trails to race on that is on any form of public or conservation authority trails. There is no Albion or King.

    All the trails and double track used is on private land. Land either owned by Kyle Sangers dad aka Sangers Silo's or area that over long term relationship building with his neighbours. And it has taken a long time to build access to what Dan will have access to on the 27th.

    And the weekly Wed Night Ride, learned from Trail Chief Rob that more access is in the works.

  25. #25
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,288
    Teaser pic's brought to you by.....



    Hmm...corn field in the race?


    Gravel grind section with sand traps mixed in?


    Crick crossing?

  26. #26
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,288
    Free kids race at 10am before the start of the adults races. Bring your kids for some fun. Bring your cowbell to encourage the kids.

  27. #27
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,288
    Current trail conditions here are dry and fast. No rain today or in the last 2 days.

  28. #28
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,288
    Just before the kids race at 10am. The future of bike racing.






    Louda, fought her way up from DFL to second. At road crossing 2 only her only question was.."How far back?" This was roughly at the 12k to go point with about a 3-4 minute gap. Great job Louda.


    Lenka had a bad day...multiple flats and DNF'd. Once she had it all fixed came back out and rode the course anyways. As she said...it was so much fun.


    Timing the dismount with traffic,


    Heard a few describe this corner into a climb as a leg breaker.

  29. #29
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,288
    Thanks to Rob Sangers neighbour's who gave access to their land just for the race. And thank you to Rob Sangers for all the work you have done and continue to do.



    Interesting tid bit I found out. A couple moved in near the Sangers about 2 or 3 doors down. Biggest selling point for the rural house in Glenburnie for them? The trails of MTB Kingston.

  30. #30
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Since no one's asked yet, how was the signage?
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  31. #31
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,288
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Since no one's asked yet, how was the signage?
    Only drama was the mental midget who DNF'd and did not report in that he dropped out. and took off for home. So of course this launches the Ground Search because we think he is payed out some where off the course.

    On a more happy note,

    A father who raced I believe the half had his son with him and hang out at the race while he raced. I am guessing he was 8. After everyone was done the boy's dad asked if it was okay to ride the back section with his son. Kid rode it on his race BMX bike with a full face. Came back a while later and when I asked him how it went. Said other then the sand traps on the road out, loved it. Now wants to get a mountain bike.

  32. #32
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,288
    Some photo's are here.

    XC Marathon 2013 Photo Gallery by lowlight at pbase.com

    Sorry, none of the Podium Bikini Incident.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,195
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Since no one's asked yet, how was the signage?
    It is my understanding that Lauda got lost, which means that if I had raced, they would still be looking for me somewhere in the woods.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

  34. #34
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,288
    Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post
    It is my understanding that Lauda got lost, which means that if I had raced, they would still be looking for me somewhere in the woods.
    Actually, Louda's bottle cage was loose at the beginning and had to stop twice to tighten it down. Missed an arrow during that crisis.

    So, I am guessing her team mechanic is sleeping on the couch for the next little bit.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Since no one's asked yet, how was the signage?
    I spoke with a couple people, including the winner, and they all agreed that it was well marked and didn't have any problems unless they weren't paying attention for a second

  36. #36
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,288
    Quote Originally Posted by afalts View Post
    didn't have any problems unless they weren't paying attention for a second
    The technical term you are looking for is "Target Lock". The primary symptom is complete focus on one thing to the detriment of the overall picture. And this leads to not being aware to one's surroundings. Which when racing can lead to things like...missing turns, arrows, and potential for becoming some rivers race inspired hood ornament.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,195
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    The technical term you are looking for is "Target Lock". The primary symptom is complete focus on one thing to the detriment of the overall picture.
    I resemble that description. Nevertheless I am considering entering the Eager Beaver race (not sure about the 80K or 160K yet). I love Mansfield, and the 53K loops are more to my liking.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

  38. #38
    More than a little slow
    Reputation: dskunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    643
    Eager Beaver. 160km. Do it Tom. I did last year's version and it was a lot of fun. In an agonizing, back stabbing, toes and finger numbing sort of way. Although I'm still a little miffed that Tom (not serious, tommy) didn't wait up for me over the last 75 miles.
    Cheers, Dave

  39. #39
    snowbound
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by dskunk View Post
    Eager Beaver. 160km. Do it Tom. I did last year's version and it was a lot of fun. In an agonizing, back stabbing, toes and finger numbing sort of way. Although I'm still a little miffed that Tom (not serious, tommy) didn't wait up for me over the last 75 miles.
    Sorry Dave, I just needed the suffering to end. I will be back again this year for more punishment.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,195
    Quote Originally Posted by dskunk View Post
    I did last year's version and it was a lot of fun. In an agonizing, back stabbing, toes and finger numbing sort of way.
    OK, so 80km it is then.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

  41. #41
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,288
    Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post
    I resemble that description.
    Lucky for you I am well versed in the A-B-C-D and of course E of wilderness first aid.

Similar Threads

  1. Epic Marathon vs Stumpjumper Marathon
    By bobgfish in forum Specialized
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-10-2013, 04:55 PM
  2. State XC Championships
    By T_Hockenberry in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-20-2012, 10:31 PM
  3. Marathon Championships?
    By fueledbymetal in forum Endurance XC Racing
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-23-2011, 11:54 AM
  4. Championships on dvd/tv
    By randomroot in forum XC Racing and Training
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-05-2011, 10:38 AM
  5. marathon extreme vs marathon dureme for DK
    By Andy13 in forum Endurance XC Racing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-02-2011, 05:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •