Keep pedaling...
    Apr 2008

WTB: Hitch-mount bike rack

Anyone from the Mississauga area got an old hitch-mount bike rack kicking around that they'd want to sell?
    Last edited by paulster2626; 04-14-2008 at 11:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Instead of purchasing a used one, I have a friend who has the Sportrack 2EZ Hitch wich is available for 180 at Canadian tire. He uses it for 2 DH Bike around 40 Lbs and has been flawless.
    Last edited by Dust_Head; 04-14-2008 at 03:37 PM.

Keep pedaling...
    Apr 2008
    Cool. I've actually found a couple on Craigslist that I'm going to check out.

Is there anything specific that I should be looking for when examining them - things to avoid, or things that are good to have?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dust_Head
    Instead of purchasing a used one, I have a friend who has the Sportrack 2EZ Hitch wich is available for 180 at Canadian tire. He uses it for 2 DH Bike around 40 Lbs and has been flawless.
    man speaks the truth about this rack. Works like a dream. The only problem is that I got pulled over by the OPP for having it on cuz it blocked my plate with my bike on it.

mtbr member
    very nice hitch system, if I didn't already have a roof rack I'd get one of these in a second.

My only concern would be getting rear ended with bikes on it, at least on the roof if I drive into a garage it's my fault

Keep pedaling...
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by HubbaMan
    very nice hitch system, if I didn't already have a roof rack I'd get one of these in a second.

My only concern would be getting rear ended with bikes on it, at least on the roof if I drive into a garage it's my fault
    But then you could get a new bike with insurance money!

OCD
    I've been using a swagman twister rack for about seven years now, works like a charm. I like that you can rotate the clamps to accommodate different top tube angles while keeping the wheels parallel with the car/asphault.

Available at MEC for $184.
    http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1208259039103

Just don't tighten the clamp with too much authority or you will break it, I learned this once about 6 years back, nicely enough MEC replaced the clamp free of charge.
    Oh, and as with any little cable thingy excuse for a lock, it's for decoration, the cable thing on the rack can be cut with a pair of side cutters.

Cheers!

max_29
    Quote Originally Posted by Dust_Head

i've been using the one from Can.Tire for over 6 yrs - awesome. fits any type of bikes,
    a snap to load/unload.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...romSearch=true

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Get teh sportrack available at hitch city.
    Its the type that you place your wheels into, instead of hanging your bike off the top tube. Around 150 when I bought mine.

Having a hitch rack is way better than roof. Both ways accidents can happen. 1 way you pay for it, the other someone else does. No brainer to me...
    www.mtbiker.ca

My Rides:
    FSR XC -R7 Platinum - SRAM X7 (26.5lbs)
    Cervelo SLC - SRAM Rival - Reynolds DV46T (16.25 lbs)

max_29
    Quote Originally Posted by bbgobie
    Having a hitch rack is way better than roof. Both ways accidents can happen. 1 way you pay for it, the other someone else does. No brainer to me...

true... i was rear-ended and a rack got damaged - a guilty party paid for a new one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bbgobie
    Having a hitch rack is way better than roof.
    I think it really depends on your situation, for me, roof rack has worked very well and I have access to everything I need in the back of the car. On top of it, now that I have two kids, I have somewhere to put the cargo box for all the kid crap I have to take when visiting family in Ottawa, it will give me an extra 16cuft of cargo space along with holding two bikes

Keep pedaling...
    Apr 2008
    Well, just picked up a new hitch and Swagman rack from Hitch City. For a hitch store, I found the place to actually be pretty interesting and the people very friendly. I'd reccommend people go there if they need a rack and/or hitch.

Anyway, going to try and install it tonight after work, then hit the trails tomorrow evening. Can't wait!

Keep pedaling...
    Apr 2008
    Well, got the hitch installed and everything is great! Is it alright that the rack and everything is a little wobbly? Should there be play in the components? I assume so, but if you saw my car you'd know that hitches really aren't my thing.

Other than that, I'm ready to hit the trails for the first time on Saturday morning. I might even take everything to work with me tomorrow and go somewhere right afterwards at 4pm. Very excited for this year's new sport!

I went for a ride today, and what little dirt I was able to find to ride, this machine seemed to really kick-in, if you know what I mean. On pavement, she seemed to be all like "yeah whatever", but in the dirt she was all like "gimme some more brown stuff!".

Hosed 'er down after, and figured I'd show off some pics - probably nothing special to you guys, but special to me

OCD
    Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626
    Is it alright that the rack and everything is a little wobbly? Should there be play in the components? I assume so, but if you saw my car you'd know that hitches really aren't my thing.
    Congrats on getting all hooked up, the season is about to pick up momentum! :-)

I think there are little clamp on thingies you can get specifically made to stabilize the rack in the hitch. What I've found works very well though, is when I made my hitch I drilled a small hole in the bottom and welded a nut at that hole, once I put the rack in the hitch receiver I thread in a bolt against the rack and "voila!" everythigns is stable. You can likely get the guys at the hitch place to hook you up with the "nut on a hole" mod to your hitch. This is assuming you are using a receiver style hitch/rack and not some crazy ball mounted rack contraption.

Hopefully that makes sense without actually seeing a picture... :-P

Cheers,

Jeff