Happy Mojo Rider

Wrench on my own bike

I have been riding for 3 years and still take my bike to the shop for tune ups. What can I do to start doing my own regular maintenance It's not that I'm cheap I have no problem bringing it to my favorite bike shop but when it's stupid stuff that I could have pick up on myself it makes me mad. Today I went for a ride and my rear de-railer wasn't shifting so I brought it to the shop and all it ended up being was a loose rear de-railer. Now I saw that it was loose but since I know zero about bikes I didn't know if it was supposed to be like that. Is there any bike shops or mechanics that run work shops about this kind of thing? Is there any books that I can buy to help myself out?
    Thanks In Advanced
    Ted

What could go wrong ...
    you can get this book Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance

and check the Park Tool website and youtube for lots of "how to" info
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

Happy Mojo Rider
    Thanks I'll give the book a try and try looking at park tools website.

xx = xtrČ
    Some shops also give mechanic classes so you can learn, it isn't very expensive and very helpfull.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Park Tool and Sheldon Brown's site are both excellent sources of info, and they are free. You might also try the Utah mountain biking site.

http://sheldonbrown.com/gearing/index.html

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=64

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/fix/index.htm

fool goin up, joker down
    Jan 2009
    +1 for Zinn that's a phenomenal book!!
    Mamma speed I'm back!!!

mtbr member
    Everything on a bike is fairly simple
    first thing is to keep your bike clean you would be amazed at how many times people have brought a bike into me saying their gears aren't working and I clean out the derailleur and it works again with no other adjustments.
    Second tip is to listen to your bike (This was taught to me by an archer tuning her bow, she heard a sound that wasn't right and she knew exactly what bolt was loose) if you hear something not right just make sure everything is properly tight and over time you will start to notice what is loose and what is making that creaking noise as you climb the hill.
    Third don't be intimidated like I said bikes use fairly simple mechanics.
    Good Luck.

Out there
    Aug 2006
    You can do EVERYTHING a bike store can do, with a few very rare exceptions.

Zinn is a great place to start.

I learned to wrench a bike when I was about twelve. I simply took my bike apart, to the smallest pieces, and put it back together again. After that there were no mysteries.

I didn't actually build a bike for myself until a few years ago, but I wish I'd done it years earlier.

I still buy the odd LBS bike (for example, a cross bike, or a DH bike on close-out) when I'm not totally sure how much I'm gonna ride it, but for a 'serious' bike I can't imagine not building it.

Anyway, start with Zinn. Then Google Sheldon Brown. Then Google Park Tools. Anything else, you ask here. No problem.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

Evil Jr.
    Also, for more complicated jobs (bleeding brakes, re-packing BBs, etc...) the manufacturer websites (SRAM, Magura and on and on) often have great tech guides with pictures, part numbers and assembly diagrams.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Space for rent...
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    Also, for more complicated jobs (bleeding brakes, re-packing BBs, etc...) the manufacturer websites (SRAM, Magura and on and on) often have great tech guides with pictures, part numbers and assembly diagrams.
    YouTube can also be a great resource for how-to videos. Bleeding brakes in particular...
    It's only pain......

mtbr member
    Also, check out the following if you are in the area:

http://www.winterbornebikes.com/park-tool-school

Happy Mojo Rider
    Thanks for all the replies I will check them all out, thank you for the Park Tool school in Guelph, I'm in Toronto but willing to travel to Guelph for that program because it sounds pretty interesting. I think I will look into doing that in the winter. Thanks again
    Ted

schaltC
    Oct 2007
    This is kind of related, but kind of not. (hijack warning)

When i apply pressure to my cranks, it creaks. I am almost positive it is coming from the bottom bracket. and having a carbon fiber bike, it is very concerning as i have already replaced the frame once and have no intention of doing it again. Do you need any special tools to take the BB out and clean it out (what I plan to do) and anything special to note?

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by carstenschaltz
    This is kind of related, but kind of not. (hijack warning)

When i apply pressure to my cranks, it creaks. I am almost positive it is coming from the bottom bracket. and having a carbon fiber bike, it is very concerning as i have already replaced the frame once and have no intention of doing it again. Do you need any special tools to take the BB out and clean it out (what I plan to do) and anything special to note?
    This is definitely one of those situations where you'll need to consult the manufacturer's instructions. Start with the bike manufacturer's site and look for specs and cruise the FAQ. Next, go to the component manufacturer's site to figure out what tools you need and which way you're threaded (or not).

That being said, as long as your cranks are properly attached, the number one cause of BB creaking is insufficient grease between the BB itself and the shell. Water will often wash down the seat tube and flush out the grease. Boo!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by carstenschaltz
    Do you need any special tools to take the BB out and clean it out (what I plan to do) and anything special to note?
    I had the same creaking issue on my bike and removed the crank & bb, cleaned and re-greased it, put it back on and bye-bye annoying creak. I consulted the manual that came with my cranks/bb (RaceFace Deus XC in my case) and used a crank puller to remove the crank, then a BB wrench (if that's what it's called) to remove the BB. Cleaned the threads with a cloth and some water, let it dry and then applied a generous amount of new grease before putting it back on the bike. Also make sure that your chainring bolts are nice and tight, I've heard that they can also potentially cause creaking...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdotrider
    I had the same creaking issue on my bike and removed the crank & bb, cleaned and re-greased it, put it back on and bye-bye annoying creak. I consulted the manual that came with my cranks/bb (RaceFace Deus XC in my case) and used a crank puller to remove the crank, then a BB wrench (if that's what it's called) to remove the BB. Cleaned the threads with a cloth and some water, let it dry and then applied a generous amount of new grease before putting it back on the bike. Also make sure that your chainring bolts are nice and tight, I've heard that they can also potentially cause creaking...

Yep, I have had the same problem several times. If the grease doesn't fix it, sometimes a wrap of teflon tape over the BB threads before installation can help also. Just be sure to get the right crank and BB tools for your setup (turns out each of my 3 bikes requires a different set of pullers/wrenches..)

Guv
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    If you've eliminated the lack of grease on the BB as a source of the noise but you're still hearing the creak, take a look at your seat post. Remove it, clean the post and seat tube thoroughly and re-insert.